Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962365 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #945 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »

Considering losing 20-22 guys in JA2 was a goddamn disgrace, I'd say 20-22 dead bros is huge.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 04, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »

Are you counting the 'Psiattack dummy' in the sacrificial rookies part? That guy who was always targetted and ended up sitting in the back of the skyranger with nothing but a electroflare.

That reminds me, I don't remember having seen or heard any mention concerning psionics. I wonder how they will handle that. Outright removing it sounds a bit extreme, while the system as it was in the original was a bit on the broken side of things. I'm hoping for a fine tuned, toned down system when compared to the original. We shall see.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 04, 2012, 06:38:16 pm »

Are you counting the 'Psiattack dummy' in the sacrificial rookies part? That guy who was always targetted and ended up sitting in the back of the skyranger with nothing but a electroflare.

Oh, that guy. It must thoroughly suck to be him, job description being: "Get alien mind-raped so that your friends with the actual weapons don't".

That reminds me, I don't remember having seen or heard any mention concerning psionics. I wonder how they will handle that. Outright removing it sounds a bit extreme, while the system as it was in the original was a bit on the broken side of things. I'm hoping for a fine tuned, toned down system when compared to the original. We shall see.

I seen to recall reading somewhere that psionics is in, but you cannot learn it. It was something about the aliens getting to have an edge throughout the game, even if you catch up to them in weapons technology. I might be wrong about it, though. If they do leave psi to the aliens, I kind of feel it's a good thing, though. When you got a couple of good psi guys everything but ethereals were just mind control-induced friendly fire fests (especially if you managed to snag a guy with a blaster bomb launcher). You only needed one guy to even leave the skyranger if you were lucky.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:36 pm »

Oh, that guy. It must thoroughly suck to be him, job description being: "Get alien mind-raped so that your friends with the actual weapons don't".

Doesn't seem that bad, really. After all, psybait tends to have a near 100% rate of mission survival.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 04, 2012, 06:44:53 pm »

Doesn't seem that bad, really. After all, psybait tends to have a near 100% rate of mission survival.
And also a usually 100% chance of additional mental trauma.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

And also a usually 100% chance of additional mental trauma.
Hey, they could always call in favors with SCP for some class-A amnesiacs. That'd clear it right up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 05, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »

Part 2 of the RPS interview is up. Talks about (toggable) kill-cam and voice-overs. But also "[...]Xenonauts, chat about how to capture live aliens, how alien interrogation and research works, more on the game’s lethality, and to what extent the game will shape your advancement up the tech tree."

Having read through it, there is quite a bit of info regarding research and production. Me gusta.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:34:29 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 10, 2012, 10:24:15 am »

Heya Bay12 folks! It's me, Dohon, here with yet another tidbit of XCOM info. Eat, my info-starved friends. Eat this interview with producer Pete Murray! It will not stop the craving, but it will lessen it if only for a moment.

Until next time, ladies and gentledorfs!

*vanishes into the shadows, cackling*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:01 am »

Heya Bay12 folks! It's me, Dohon, here with yet another tidbit of XCOM info. Eat, my info-starved friends. Eat this interview with producer Pete Murray! It will not stop the craving, but it will lessen it if only for a moment.

Until next time, ladies and gentledorfs!

*vanishes into the shadows, cackling*

Shine on you crazy dragon...

*washes a tear*

Well, they didn't say anything new, though it's the first time I saw floater. I was expecting them to be creepier (as with all aliens), but then again, the creepiness goes away when you realise that they're soooo easy to kill. My only issue with the game right now is the design of the aliens, they're a bit cartoonish to me.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 10, 2012, 11:25:50 am »

So, six soldiers per mission confirmed.

The only thing I can mop about so far, but still: :<
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »

Honestly, when I think about it, managing 10 soldiers + 2 tanks made the game too easy and harder to manage. The only way aliens could hold against me was if they used blasters or psionics, and in late game those are not much of a threat.

EDIT: The only problem I might have with this is that the missions would become shorter. I enjoyed killing 22+ aliens every mission.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:07:11 pm by Domenique »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »

These interviews have certainly done a good job of getting me excited to play this game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »

"No Australia?"

"Well, we couldn’t come up with a bonus that was awesome enough for Australia. It was basically a toss-up between making all of your soldiers poisonous, or giving your soldiers the capacity to drink incredible quantities of beer. It turned out both of those mechanics were incredibly unbalanced in gameplay. I’m sorry."
I lol'd. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:04 pm »

Yeah, JA2 was really terrible specifically because you only got 6 mans.

I don’t know that cabbages made it in.

I'm out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:54:44 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 10, 2012, 08:40:34 pm »

Yeah, JA2 was really terrible specifically because you only got 6 mans.

You could have way more than 6 men in JA2. 6 men in one squad and then you could call in 2 more squads with 6 each making the total 18.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 625