Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962379 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #930 on: April 27, 2012, 11:00:13 am »

Only thing I don't really like is the fire. Would have preferred they keep the alien levitation orb thing. It would be much more scary if not only could it fly (and apparently teleport), but if it was also perfectly silent while doing so - maybe with a gentle hum, but no more.

Rocket jets =/= stealthy hunter soldiers.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:15 am »

Only thing I don't really like is the fire. Would have preferred they keep the alien levitation orb thing. It would be much more scary if not only could it fly (and apparently teleport), but if it was also perfectly silent while doing so - maybe with a gentle hum, but no more.

Rocket jets =/= stealthy hunter soldiers.

I agree that they would be scarier if they were silent, although I think they were going for a more aggressive style than the old floaters had, which I think they've certainly accomplished. They should definitely keep the small steering thrusters, though, too few games have such thrusters.

Also, I think that they don't actually teleport, I got the impression that they can fly and flank you really fast which, to the player, would seem like they were teleporting.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

The video actually got me thinking about Zerglings. Only these guys fly and shoot plasma. So far so good. I really like the aggressive pack hunter aesthetic they're going for. What I'm missing however is the horns. I couldn't care less about the cape, but for me the quintessential Floater feature (aside from floating) is the horns.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 27, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »

How about a horned cape then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:18 pm »

I admit I was hesitant about the screenshots, but the video of the floaters actually seemed terrifying. They look far more dangerous than they were before, and we even got some nice footage of X-COM soldiers dying horribly to plasma.

So yeah, I accept the new floater look.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 27, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »

If they're making Floaters hyperaggressive, I can't wait to throw my squad into the gaping maws of fight some Chryssalids.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:32 pm »

I'm pretty okay with the floater redesign.  In the original, floaters were something of a joke as they had low defenses, no psionics, and their terror unit was a giant target that needed to close into melee range to do anything.

I do somewhat miss the old anti-grav system.  In the original, the only thing that they had going for them was that you never knew when a floater was hiding behind a building, and making them hyper-aggressive seems to limit this.  While I'm not advocating a return to turns of looking for the last alien, it would be nice if some of the aliens set up ambushes for the player instead of rushing into battle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

Yeah, let's be honest. Original floaters were the sort of thing that make you say, "Whew, it wasn't absolutely anything else."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 01, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »

Another official "community video". This time about the Art of the new Xcom. Go here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:06 pm »

Shiny. Thanks for the link.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:05 pm »

New interview over at RPS. Part 1 today, part 2 tomorrow.

First part talks about the Floater, the length of the game, approximately how many fatalities you can expect to suffer, coming up with prototypical names for the soldiers, squad sizes and modding. Also, three screenshots. A very good read.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:51:56 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 04, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

20 to 22 casualties
This guy must be much better than I am, because I just got to heavy lasers and have at least that many deaths :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 04, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »

Lower squad sizes and him being in charge of making the game probably have something to do with that.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »

Lower squad sizes and him being in charge of making the game probably have something to do with that.

Especially the former, I think.  After all, if you have a squad size of 4, then 20 casualties is 5 full squads, equivalent to something like 70 casualties in the original (using a fully loaded skyranger as a "squad").  Though on the low end, that seems to be a reasonable number of deaths, especially if you don't count sacrificial rookies (a tactic that will no longer be very viable).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 04, 2012, 06:15:31 pm »

Are you counting the 'Psiattack dummy' in the sacrificial rookies part? That guy who was always targetted and ended up sitting in the back of the skyranger with nothing but a electroflare.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 625