Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962393 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #900 on: March 20, 2012, 02:32:31 am »

While you do have a point, it Bethsoft usually releases with a gap of 5 years.
If anything it would highlight their incompetence. The same goes for many developers like GSC, obsidian etc. It took GSC three games to release a stable game and obsidian are still struggling with the stability side.
Co-incidentally, buggiest of the games usually have mod support.
With Bethsoft, at least, and I would assume with similar companies, they are making much more complex games than normal, though. It's easier for everything to go to hell when you've got large amounts of potentially complex features, especially when they start interacting with each other.

That said, I'm not sure who we'd compare them to in order to find out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 28, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »

If you need some more XCOM, RPS has some here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:54 pm »

Wait...so Ammo IS in and IS important, you just don't specifically deal with clips in the inventory. Huh, didn't get that before now at all. Cool, I'm glad to hear it wasn't just waved away as the soldiers always having enough ammo.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 29, 2012, 07:04:02 am »

I'm still not too sure about that, Mephansteras. They were pretty clear about ammo clips being out AND it being abstracted to a reload-mechanism. Basically, you'll have to reload quite often (especially using supression since they said it would burn out a magazine in one burst), meaning a turn of no action. Or perhaps a turn of moving and reloading, that is still a bit fuzzy. But I believe that actually running out of ammo (as in, no more reloading) is gone.

I'm not overly happy about it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it. I always loaded up my troops with 3 clips and with about 20 rounds  a clip, I had to try really damn hard to run out. Ofcourse, there are the few moments where you had to scavenge for a plasma clip, but I only had that one happen once in more than 100 hours of XCOM.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:44 am »

Hmm...you may be right. It's a little fuzzy. Well, I guess we'll have to see.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:43 am »

If you need some more XCOM, RPS has some here.

Really liked the interview. With all in context, it seems they are going for a reasonable balance between ability from training and from items.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:07 am »

I also like how they are trying to streamline the game for the main audience but also trying to make it attract the veterans, that is more reasonable than you would expect from a contemporary studio. The only thing that matters is that they will keep that feeling you get when you hear the moan of a dying alien. And maybe they will fix the, in my opinion, greatest flaw from the original - the lack of tactics on the alien side. Let's face it, it was pretty easy because the aliens were mostly alone and you could easily hit them with more than a few squaddies.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

Some movies, all courtesy of Gametrailers.

GDC Interview
Dev Diary 1: Behind the scenes (Old Footage)
Gametrailer XCOM Differences
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:52:09 am by Dohon »
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:46 am »

Some movies, all courtesy of Gametrailers.

GDC Interview
Dev Diary 1: Behind the scenes (Old Footage)
Dev Diary 2: Hit Points

Silly most-proficent military organization in the world, forgot to give them soldiers helmets.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:00 am »

In the grim darkness of the future, there are no helmets.

I do believe that we will have some kind of enclosed suit at one point though. Some kind of powered armour, perhaps even a flying one. The original XCOM had that. Bonus points if it looks like Space Marine armour.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:49 am »

I do believe that we will have some kind of enclosed suit at one point though. Some kind of powered armour, perhaps even a flying one. The original XCOM had that. Bonus points if it looks like Space Marine armour.

I guess we will be going to mars, and this time t-shirt expeditions just won't do.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57:58 am »

Hmm, modded powered armor..

..We will finally get Space marines!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 04, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »

Posting to follow.

Squeeeee!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 04, 2012, 01:30:43 pm »

So you're saying they get bonus points for not being able to see over their shoulder pauldrons in the new!Flying Suit or Power Armor?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

Silly most-proficent military organization in the world, forgot to give them soldiers helmets.
If Kirk has taught us anything, it's that fighting aliens takes more than just a gun and some armor. It takes looking your best as you do it.

So you're saying they get bonus points for not being able to see over their shoulder pauldrons in the new!Flying Suit or Power Armor?
On the other hand, if they're going to be so obsessed with cover all the time they may as well walk around with some attached. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 625