Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962400 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #885 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:00 am »

It's mostly a question of balance. Some things from the original won't be there, like losing a couple of guys disembarking from the Sky Ranger. Personally, I'm fine with that. I never liked the fact that my guys got shot up immediately after jumping out. But that doesn't mean that it's not going to be anything like the original, threat-wise.

You won't have the same number of casualties from a mission, but if they get the balance right you should still be able to have some casualties occur on a regular basis to keep the tension in the game. You can't lose 5 or 6 guys, obviously, but if it's easy to lose 1 or 2 a mission you'd still have the same sense of concern about moving your guys around that you did in the original. Even more so, with any losses being such a large % of the team.

That's not to say that I wouldn't have been happier with more troops, but I'm not ready to discount their design decision until I've had a chance to test it out myself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »

Gameinformer has an article up that explores the "PC-Port?" and "Modding" issues. Once again, clicky clicky.

Great news for PC fans of XCOM: Enemy Unknown — the game will feature a unique PC tactical UI, and modability will be a strong probability. In an interview with PC Gamer, lead designer Jake Solomon adamantly refuted the idea of a consolized UI for the title.

When asked if the PC build of XCOM: Enemy Unknown would use a similar system to the Xbox controller command prompts seen in screenshots, Solomon said:

No, no, no. Nooo. Oh man, no. I wouldn’t do that to you, are you kidding me? No.

We have a team that’s doing the PC UI, and there are some elements where it can make sense to use the base, like when we have menus and things like that, but our tactical UI is a standalone PC tactical UI.

And so we have a PC tactical UI that we’re working on that is distinct, because obviously mouse driven with a tactical game – being able to select objects of interest – as opposed to a gamepad, where you’re cycling through objects of interest. No, no, we definitely have PC and we plan and we have UI that’s unique.

On the topic of modding, Solomon said:

The idea is that there is the ability for modability. It won’t be anything that we’re committing to for release, but it’s very very easy using Unreal titles. I write almost all my game code in the scripts, and that’s very easy to give to people.

So, high-fives all around?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 19, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

Looks fine to me. I'm sure someone will complain about it, no doubt.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 19, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

Oh shit, now we are getting a decent UI and Modability? Could this get worse? I bet some idiot will make a classic ufo mod and then I will cry cause this is bad and stuff. Am I complaining enough?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:35:03 pm by Domenique »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 19, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »

Am I the only one who's not surprised by this?  It's Firaxis, they make PC games and they've always made PC games.  And their headline franchise Civilization has always been mod-able; they're still making money off #4, one of the most customizable games in existence.  And all of the project leads have worked at Firaxis for years.  So yeah, I was never in doubt about this, especially back when Jake Solomon was talking about the pretty crap PC UI of Skyrim.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 19, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »

Am I the only one who's not surprised by this?  It's Firaxis, they make PC games and they've always made PC games.  And their headline franchise Civilization has always been mod-able; they're still making money off #4, one of the most customizable games in existence.  And all of the project leads have worked at Firaxis for years.  So yeah, I was never in doubt about this, especially back when Jake Solomon was talking about the pretty crap PC UI of Skyrim.
Heck, they still code a lot of the DB stuff in Python and leave the raw files exposed for editing. That is god damn modabilit x10

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

Heck, they still code a lot of the DB stuff in Python and leave the raw files exposed for editing. That is god damn modabilit x10
The UI I hadn't really given any thought, but yeah, I always figured that unless somebody stopped them, the game would be "here's everything in a text file" level moddable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 19, 2012, 05:49:37 pm »

Well, one strike against modability could be that the designers could get lazy and don't implement features that should be in because modders will just add them back in later. Or make the game too easy because modders can make it more difficult.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 19, 2012, 05:51:16 pm »

I suppose, but I'm not sure there's any evidence of this particular developer ever pulling such a thing. I guess there could be problems higher up, though.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 19, 2012, 08:07:32 pm »

Well, one strike against modability could be that the designers could get lazy and don't implement features that should be in because modders will just add them back in later. Or make the game too easy because modders can make it more difficult.
Any citation where this has happen with a non indy game? oO
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:57 pm »

Look at any Bethesda game. They are pretty much broken after release.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 19, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

Xcom was somewhat modable though,i used to play with custom sprites and a few modded weapond. My favorite was the chainsaw.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:31 pm »

To be fair, we don't really have any way of knowing whether this is explicitly because modders can fix it or for other reasons, like complexity or time constraints.

Xcom was somewhat modable though,i used to play with custom sprites and a few modded weapond. My favorite was the chainsaw.
Was it officially moddable or did people just crack it open, though?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 19, 2012, 11:44:37 pm »

Yeah people cracked open the data files and screwed with the hex.
you could do simple stuff with notepad though.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:29 pm »

To be fair, we don't really have any way of knowing whether this is explicitly because modders can fix it or for other reasons, like complexity or time constraints.

While you do have a point, it Bethsoft usually releases with a gap of 5 years.
If anything it would highlight their incompetence. The same goes for many developers like GSC, obsidian etc. It took GSC three games to release a stable game and obsidian are still struggling with the stability side.
Co-incidentally, buggiest of the games usually have mod support.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 625