Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962420 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #855 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:54 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't like 30 man teams much either.  But 6 is going too far in the wrong direction.  Now, if it started at 10, then moved to 15, I wouldn't be complaining at all.

I realize it sounds quite petty.  Basically, I want to send a medium-sized team to deal with the aliens, not an entire platoon and not a tiny elite team.  I'd like to know that an alien grenade can kill many of my men, but not all of them.  It's a balance thing, which I just think the developers have gotten wrong here.

I dont know, there lots of play style where to optimize experience you played with as few men as possible.

For my personal play throughs, I did a team between 4-8. Which is right around the size they're allowing.
Something that I'm little annoyed is that tanks count as a team member. For early games, I always brought a tank for scouting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:10 am »

I'm wondering if there will be some way for tanks to get experience, too.  But I kind of doubt it.  Fly-by-wire doesn't make sense for that because you could always replace a blown up one without losing the guy piloting it, and real tanks with drivers inside them are either 1) too big or 2) called "power armor".

...I am super looking forwards to the shorter missions that this is going to have.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 08, 2012, 03:32:03 am »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't like 30 man teams much either.  But 6 is going too far in the wrong direction.  Now, if it started at 10, then moved to 15, I wouldn't be complaining at all.

I realize it sounds quite petty.  Basically, I want to send a medium-sized team to deal with the aliens, not an entire platoon and not a tiny elite team.  I'd like to know that an alien grenade can kill many of my men, but not all of them.  It's a balance thing, which I just think the developers have gotten wrong here.

I dont know, there lots of play style where to optimize experience you played with as few men as possible.

For my personal play throughs, I did a team between 4-8. Which is right around the size they're allowing.
Something that I'm little annoyed is that tanks count as a team member. For early games, I always brought a tank for scouting.

The inclusion of tanks as team members is no different.  In fact, they're a bit more generous in this regard, as tanks counted as 4 members in the original.  Thus, when you say that you used a team of 8 with tank, what you really mean is that you used a team of 12.

Which is almost full capacity of the starting craft in the original.

The discussion of varying play styles bring up another point:  In the original X-Com, we could disagree on play styles by varying the number of men.  We can't now.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:17 am »

It's probably a bit silly to judge the balance of a game before playing it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:46 am »

I like the flexability of being able to take as many soldiers as i want, at the start i'll take 12 and split them up into fire teams of 3-4 and be happy if half a dozen survive to the end.
Of course late rwhen i get heavy armour, heavy plasma, and well trained troops i'll generally only take 6-8 per mission (depending on the number of wounded, generally each 2-3 mission bases would have around 12 troops total.
I really liked playing recklessly and watching my cheap cannon fodder wielding nothing but a pistol and grenades run outside to flush out the enemy :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:13 am »

Too few men makes it hard for me to keep my immersion in the game world.  Come on, the SURVIVAL OF EARTH is at stake, but HQ is limiting me to a few guys on these supposedly crucial missions?  WTF?  The original, even though 20+ guys on the field got unwieldy, at least felt like a military or paramilitary organization with a good number of replacements waiting back at base and training.  And allowed some semblance of unit tactics instead of playing it as a puzzle game or save-reload fest.

I'll try to fanwank it as "It's not all of XCOM, you've got the elite lead squad that's doing the critical part of a much bigger mission".  Plus all the bases and interceptors and scientists, hmmmm.  And really falls apart on things like the ufo recovery - "OK your mission is to take on this landed ufo, it can carry 20 strong armed aliens.  No, you can't have more than 4 men, or even attached military snipers or scouts or sensors or any support at all to cover ground behind you, even though most of your losses til now have been from aliens sneaking around and attacking from your already-cleared flanks and rear.".  Umm, thanks, are there any job ads from organizations that aren't completely incompetent?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:18 am »

From a gameplay standpoint, I really hated having to bring a lot of people into a mission. I hated the option of having it, because it means that the difficulty of the missions were balanced around you bringing them. X-Com original didn't have any disincentive against bringing in too many men. Never actually completed an X-Com game because it became too time-consuming and repetitive.

But yeah, I hate the idea of there being a 'hard' limit to the number of people on a mission because it hurts immersion.

I'm really hoping that the limit actually fits in to the story, like with the UFO games. In UFO Aftermath and Afterlight, you actually have a very limited number of people, and sending in too many was often a foolish move. Afterlight may actually replace some of your soldiers after they get killed, but no guarantee, and sending some soldiers had the disincentive of slowing down research/manufacturing/territory expansion.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:48 pm »

How does slowing down manufacturing by sending soldiers out supposed to work? Unless its for armor or something of that sort.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 08, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

How does slowing down manufacturing by sending soldiers out supposed to work? Unless its for armor or something of that sort.

Afterlight had multiclass personnel. Some soldiers were also engineers or scientists. You also sent noncoms on missions, sorta.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 08, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

That just seems like more trouble than you had already.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

I dunno, it WILL be nice not to have all those jokes about the best paramilitary organization in the world sending out rookies as ablative meat shields...  While an attractive strategy, that wrecked immersion for me too.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:14 pm »

I would make sense if soldiers dying in the field increased the rate at which armor researched: You have results and can see where armor has weakpoints!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

I just assume X-COM is so badass that their hazing of rookies is off the scale.  "Hey, rookie - you know alien grenades are full of yummy candy?  Just pull the pin and wait for it to open..."  "Hey, rookie, ring the doorbell on that UFO - they're inside waiting to surrender"...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 08, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »

I just assume X-COM is so badass that their hazing of rookies is off the scale.  "Hey, rookie - you know alien grenades are full of yummy candy?  Just pull the pin and wait for it to open..."  "Hey, rookie, ring the doorbell on that UFO - they're inside waiting to surrender"...
I would make sense if soldiers dying in the field increased the rate at which armor researched: You have results and can see where armor has weakpoints!

I love you guys......and am glad you weren't my commanding officer.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:39 am »

What we should remember is that even the most elite organization on earth are total n00bs against the horrible onslaught of the alien menace.....
Though i should imagine the first few aliens encountered are just poachers and freelance agents who heard that earth place like totally has lots of cattle to mutilate and people to probe and shit for a laugh and whatnot....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 625