Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962430 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #825 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:29 am »

I'm now officially WTF-excited for this. Combat and the "glam cam" caught my interest....but when I saw that base, I think I came I little. It's a delicious amount of detail and control they're offering, far above what I expected they would do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:56 am »

I am hyped for this as well but really, all we have been shown is tactical gameplay and even then only the shooting part. Where are the tanks and psi abilities?
Also, I would love to see how Ufo interception works in this one.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:06 am »

Love the comments for that video on RPS. It basically boils down to; 360 footage = CLEAR PROOF OF FIRAXIS' DUMBIFICATION OF THE GAME THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY ENTIRE GENERATION

*sigh*

I might just get this for a console, no fear of lag or poor performance on my comp.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »

Love the comments for that video on RPS. It basically boils down to; 360 footage = CLEAR PROOF OF FIRAXIS' DUMBIFICATION OF THE GAME THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY ENTIRE GENERATION

The sad thing is that we also get a lot of that reaction on this forum too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

Well, they could've made it PC footage if they wanted to probably, but perhaps they're waiting until later to show the difference in control between the two.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

While lordcooper has done a splendid job by posting the footage, I wanna add a little impression done by the RPS' gang. Clicky click.

He seemed pretty excited. I haven't seen the footage yet, but the new preview is helping build my excitement. Still a bit sceptical, but hey, I want this to succeed bigtime.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:20:20 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:58 pm »

[The ant-farm base] is like the GI Joe base that the kid down the street had that you didn't have, and just got to play with once in a while...

I swear to God, it's like every guy on the staff is me.

I'm also echoing people's hopes that the Glam Cam, while cool, will be optional, since that would get a little taxing after a while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:49 pm »

I would be okay if there was no psi, as long as the morale system is good.  Psi really did seem out of place and poorly implemented in the original, and unbalancing on either side.  It is a terribly unessential part of X-Com to me, much like base defense: I see why it was there, but I didn't like how it worked and I'm fine without it. (I doubt there will be base defense in this...)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »

Here's a video showing some actual gameplay.

Looks smexy. Wish they showed footage of the new berserker enemies though. It sounds pretty badass.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:52 pm »

Psi made sense to me, until the part where you have to find a sectoid commander, not an ethereal.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 06, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

Psi made sense to me, until the part where you have to find a sectoid commander, not an ethereal.
What? It was sectoid Leader if I remember correctly. What was nonsense about that? You could also capture an ethereal for the same effect.

I would be okay if there was no psi, as long as the morale system is good.  Psi really did seem out of place and poorly implemented in the original, and unbalancing on either side.  It is a terribly unessential part of X-Com to me, much like base defense: I see why it was there, but I didn't like how it worked and I'm fine without it. (I doubt there will be base defense in this...)

Wait a minute. It was terribly unbalanced? Could you really expand on this point? I am rather curious as the tone of the post seems like "I don't care and neither should you"
Psi abilities were a fun concept. But you could only do two this with, mind control and panic.
I really hope this time around we get to move objects that provide cover(with a sufficiently high skill) and alter objects in the world. I would love to see it get more expanded, not get completely removed.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »

Well I never actually seemed to get anything from ethereals, though I could be wrong there. Didn't actually get one of them very often.
It was a leader, yeah. It seemed like nonsense because I'd thought they were just there to be the early-game enemies, not semi-important ones.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 06, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »

Oh my gosh, Psi was terribly OP in X-Com.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Psionics

It was just crap. Fun though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 06, 2012, 09:45:26 pm »

Only if you had enough Psi-Amps to chain-control the Martian Ethereals. Otherwise it just seems to fit in with the B-movie kinda style.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 07, 2012, 12:08:33 am »

*sigh*

I might just get this for a console, no fear of lag or poor performance on my comp.
Eh, while other games provide clear examples of obsolete console hardware tarnishing gameplay such as Skyrim's reduced armor/clothing slots, low on-screen characters, closed cities, and lack of levitation, I don't see how it should affect XCOM.  The original XCOM had great gameplay with just a 20MHz processor and 2MB RAM, and I'm pretty sure the Xbox isn't that bad.

I'm also echoing people's hopes that the Glam Cam, while cool, will be optional, since that would get a little taxing after a while.
I can't agree more.

Psi struck me as poorly implemented (although not out-of-place) in the original too.  However, we'll probably see it in the remake given that it's pretty much tailor made for a skill/ability system.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 625