Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958071 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #9345 on: August 24, 2015, 03:10:36 am »

As somebody who never played the original EU, I have never seen them.

Too bad tinkering is required.
Well, I've done it, and it wasn't too bad. You'll want to read the comments though.

Using Long War, what I did was:
1: Manually copy and rename the needed files. The mod creator notes what you need to do in the comments. You can use the provided batch file, but there's always the potential for it to not work.
2: Include the provided UPK files with the copied files, to eliminate some problems that were noticed.
3: Use PatchUPK/PatcherGUI to use the provided patches (the additional text files).
4: Uncommented the required lines from the file that selects maps. See the readme.
5: Removed ".upk" from "patch_hideroofs.upk" and "patch_museum_multi.upk" in the lines for those maps (someone said they cause it to crash).
6: Tweaked the InitialChance=999 to InitialChance=20. I'm not 100% sure what it does, but I suspect it's something about whether the game chooses the maps.

Takes time, but hardly the hardest thing to do. If you're curious, you might as well do so--the alternative is playing an EU campaign until you get those maps.

And, when I played afterwards, no crashes, and I played both Gas Station and Demolition successfully. Unfortunately, texture problems did exist, but I could play the maps successfully anyways. Haven't got the museum yet, though, I'm still waiting for it.

Thanks for explaining, I assumed it would be much more tinkery tinkering. Am I right to assume it wouldn't be compatible with Long War, though?
Love, scriver~

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: August 24, 2015, 03:54:47 am »

Thanks for explaining, I assumed it would be much more tinkery tinkering. Am I right to assume it wouldn't be compatible with Long War, though?
Psssst.

Something interesting I found searching the Nexus after watching Beaglerush's stream videos: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/575/?

On the bright side, it's three maps that I'd be willing to bet 98% of us haven't seen since EWI was launched, perhaps even so long that we've forgotten they ever existed, and according to the mod page it works with Long War.
Using Long War, what I did was:
1: ...
I kind of mentioned it twice. And it's at the very bottom of the mod's very short description.

Though admittedly the way I mentioned it the second time was a little confusing but still.

--Yes it does work with Long War, I apologize for not mentioning it clearly enough. :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:56:23 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:02 am »

Oh. Well that was very blindsightedly of me ;)

Love, scriver~

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: August 24, 2015, 12:31:23 pm »

I have been trying the "arc thrower in pistol slot" patch, but it isn't working for me. Do I need to start a new game for it to work? Is the file in a different place in Linux? Can anyone help me out?
Huh. I only commented out one line and uncommented another to get it working on Windows. Maybe (and yes this is probably an obvious question) double check that you've commented out the right lines?
That's all it takes with the new version of LW, yeah.

I can confirm that, in the Windows game, this works just fine. I'm not getting any luck with it in Linux, though. Anyone have any extra know-how in the Linux department?

EDIT: Durr. It's not in with the game files. It's in ~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM/XEW/WritableFiles. I should have known better!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:36:26 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: August 28, 2015, 03:33:54 am »

I resumed my campaign, trying to get a support worth something but the only one I recruited died on his first mission saving RinceWind (who, despite his outdated MEC manage to be amazing). Now I have zero supports and heavies are doing the healing... needless to say I don't have many surviving beyond squaddie ranks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:12 pm »

Anyone have any good builds for current-ish Long War covert operators to share?
Love, scriver~

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:35 am »

I've been trying to think of songs that fit with XCOM. Anyone got any good ones?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: September 03, 2015, 03:41:29 am »

Is it weird that I like to play the Aragorn speech for temple ship?
I also find that 'Shoot to thrill' fits well with most Ops.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:54 am »

This for the Temple Ship.

And the fucking Rorschach ruins everything, the asshole.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:10 am »

I'd like to play Covenant Dance for a base defense sometime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPFtDdqnJI
Or the Talking Pet theme for a base assault.  (Original midi works well too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4kzbpHbH8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN4fJxy0DMA
Chomber from Marathon would make a pretty nice XCOM base ambiance.
https://youtu.be/IDPHLnCSjCI?list=PLDA493090201B3116
Landing is about an area where everyone is mysteriously gone, and enemy scouts patrol in the gloom.  Early-game battlescape
https://youtu.be/xpBLi65LXko?list=PLDA493090201B3116

And finally, I really dig the dogfight music from UFO Aftermath.  It'd probably feel silly, but in that game you engage with fairly expendable fighter squads of 3.  They zip around in little prerendered clips, trying to outmaneuver ships with plasma arcs and antigrav drives.  *Most* sorties involve casualties, and you can even get missions to rescue your downed pilots.
Combined with the fact that there are certain UFOs you REALLY REALLY need to disable, even at the cost of multiple squads, the flyboys can listen to whatever the hell they want :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMP1N2aAGQ
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: September 04, 2015, 04:00:06 pm »

Anyone have any good builds for current-ish Long War covert operators to share?

Scout or Assault.  Camo vest if you can.  Motion scanner.  Maybe smoke grenades.

Full grenadier build might be interesting, never tried it.

I can usually have him lay low until extraction team takes control, so it isn't a huge deal.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »

I usually run assaults with Steadfast, Ranger, H&R, Resilience, Sprinter, and either LR or VPT. Machine pistol, motion tracker and plating. Stay outta sight whenever possible, unless in position to H&R a dude or hit a relay.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: September 08, 2015, 05:35:57 am »

I finally got rid of Exalt, the base assault was a spanking of epic proportions.

BFEL got hit by a rocket but no one besides Zhang was wounded.

I won't miss this anti-xcom.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: September 08, 2015, 06:07:06 pm »

Finally finished my LW campaign.

The beginning was Amazing.

Mid to endgame?   a complete chore.

I had Dynamic war on with a generous multiplier, and reduced lots of times and costs on the config.  But it was still a grindey slog.

If I had it to do over, Id make the DW multiplier even stronger, maybe shoot for 1/8 ot 1/16 length.

I'm not sure I'm excited about the sequel any more.  The end of that campaign really ground me down.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625