Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958069 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #9330 on: August 15, 2015, 03:05:08 pm »

Mm, but I was talking about limited ammo in the context of Long War levels of enemy quantity and quality.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: August 16, 2015, 11:11:53 pm »

A small question here; will a covert agent with a sawed off shotgun and high capacity magazines get two shots? It -is- the primary weapon, after all...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: August 16, 2015, 11:26:39 pm »

No. It is still a sidearm.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:20 am »

You could run out of ammo in oldcom if you were forced to use unskilled soldiers in longer engaments, but if you kept a core crew of badass veterans, then this almost never happened since they would often hit their targets, and by then you'd prob already have lasers so it wouldn't take many shots to down most aliens. It was mostly an early game issue, and even then I never really had to reload more than once per mission for most guns, and only during the early game.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: August 17, 2015, 10:23:05 am »

I think the only times I ever had to worry about ammo were early terror missions, and usually then it was a matter of scavenging ammo off of the plentiful corpses of fellow rookies. Cyberdisks can soak a LOT of shots if you end up with too many on a mission for your supply of rockets to deal with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: August 21, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »

Something interesting I found searching the Nexus after watching Beaglerush's stream videos: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/575/?

Basically, it's three/four EU maps that were cut from EWI or were heavily modified, but then ported in the mod: The original Demolition, which is unrecognizable in EWI; Museum and its euro version, which was used in a council mission for Thomas Hutch; and Gas Station.

...Unfortunately, it appears the maps currently don't handle the porting very well. Textures sometimes won't load, leading to the checkerboard textures you'll see in the mod's page. You also need PatcherUPK. In addition, it's as far as I can tell a one-man project that isn't frequently updated, so according to the issues seen by the limited amount of posters, it may need some tinkering to get it to work right.

On the bright side, it's three maps that I'd be willing to bet 98% of us haven't seen since EWI was launched, perhaps even so long that we've forgotten they ever existed, and according to the mod page it works with Long War.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:48 am »

No, I have not forgotten that map where you pick up the VIP in the trench. Bad map. Bad map! Stay away!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: August 23, 2015, 09:07:43 am »

As somebody who never played the original EU, I have never seen them.

Too bad tinkering is required.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:25 am »

No, I have not forgotten that map where you pick up the VIP in the trench. Bad map. Bad map! Stay away!
Ah, fond memories.  Fond, screaming, half-cover, dying-in-a-hail-of-plasma-fire-memories.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:27 am »

That's a terror mission map.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:59 pm »

I am pretty sure it is not, it is way to small for that.

The loading screen image is similar to this one though, which is a terror map

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:29 pm »

I have been trying the "arc thrower in pistol slot" patch, but it isn't working for me. Do I need to start a new game for it to work? Is the file in a different place in Linux? Can anyone help me out?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: August 23, 2015, 06:53:38 pm »

That's a terror mission map.
Nah, I don't think so. Don't recall it as a terror site. And checking UFOpedia, I don't see any "trench"-like terror maps.

As somebody who never played the original EU, I have never seen them.

Too bad tinkering is required.
Well, I've done it, and it wasn't too bad. You'll want to read the comments though.

Using Long War, what I did was:
1: Manually copy and rename the needed files. The mod creator notes what you need to do in the comments. You can use the provided batch file, but there's always the potential for it to not work.
2: Include the provided UPK files with the copied files, to eliminate some problems that were noticed.
3: Use PatchUPK/PatcherGUI to use the provided patches (the additional text files).
4: Uncommented the required lines from the file that selects maps. See the readme.
5: Removed ".upk" from "patch_hideroofs.upk" and "patch_museum_multi.upk" in the lines for those maps (someone said they cause it to crash).
6: Tweaked the InitialChance=999 to InitialChance=20. I'm not 100% sure what it does, but I suspect it's something about whether the game chooses the maps.

Takes time, but hardly the hardest thing to do. If you're curious, you might as well do so--the alternative is playing an EU campaign until you get those maps.

And, when I played afterwards, no crashes, and I played both Gas Station and Demolition successfully. Unfortunately, texture problems did exist, but I could play the maps successfully anyways. Haven't got the museum yet, though, I'm still waiting for it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:57 pm »

I have been trying the "arc thrower in pistol slot" patch, but it isn't working for me. Do I need to start a new game for it to work? Is the file in a different place in Linux? Can anyone help me out?
Huh. I only commented out one line and uncommented another to get it working on Windows. Maybe (and yes this is probably an obvious question) double check that you've commented out the right lines?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:04 am »

Huh. I only commented out one line and uncommented another to get it working on Windows. Maybe (and yes this is probably an obvious question) double check that you've commented out the right lines?
That's all it takes with the new version of LW, yeah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625