Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962368 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #915 on: April 04, 2012, 02:08:21 pm »

In the grim darkness of the future, there are no helmets.

I do believe that we will have some kind of enclosed suit at one point though. Some kind of powered armour, perhaps even a flying one. The original XCOM had that. Bonus points if it looks like Space Marine armour.
So you're saying they get bonus points for not being able to see over their shoulder pauldrons in the new!Flying Suit or Power Armor?

Better than going out with no helmet on your soon-to-be-ass.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:17 am »

Found an older interview by Gamespy that nonetheless gives some new info. Audio cues, limited ammo for special weapons (you were right, Mephansteras), pretty big maps, base defense missions, ... Read here.

EDIT: At the end, Gamespy asked about multiplayer. Firaxis didn't confirm it, but neither did they deny the possibility. So, I think they are trying it out and if it works out, we'll have multiplayer. Probably won't be a full-blown XCOM versus Aliens Mode, but even just co-op would be nice. But, better not to hope for it in any case.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:30:42 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:15 pm »

The more I read about this game, the more excited about it I get. Why won't they accept my money if I throw it at my monitor!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »

So there will be friendly armed forces in some maps and other sub-objectives besides "Exterminate the Xenos". Happyhappyhappy. The implied 'plot' missions and smaller squad sizes are only things I'm still mildly worried about. Not hating, more like interested to see how they changed those in a way that doesn't suck in my fanboyish dreamworld.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 05, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

Original game had sorta-plot missions. Like, you had to capture certain aliens alive in order to reach the end of the game. If you didn't know that or weren't focusing on live capture, you might be stuck for a long time just fighting more and more.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 05, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »

Original game had sorta-plot missions. Like, you had to capture certain aliens alive in order to reach the end of the game. If you didn't know that or weren't focusing on live capture, you might be stuck for a long time just fighting more and more.

I think that was hinted ingame after a while (some research or message of sort, can't remember)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 05, 2012, 04:58:13 pm »

Yes, but there was never a cinematic, or even a title screen, saying "now hear this, soldier, we need to bag ourselves a live one if we're to win this war, so get to it!", followed by a scripted base assault. You just kind of pictured it together with stun batons, small launchers, psi probes and containment facilities. Now that I think about it those plot missions don't sound so bad if they are just there to nudge you in the right direction without excessive railroading.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 06, 2012, 08:26:24 am »

If you guys and gals have some spare time the next couple of days ... 2K is over at Pax East and doing live streams of various games, including XCOM. Link is here and the schedule is here.

Friday, April 6th

10:30 AM - Noon - Welcome to PAX East with Kona & Elizabeth, tour of 2K Games' booths

Noon - 1 PM - Interviews with Spec Ops: The Line Producer, Cory Davis and with Lead Writer, Walt Williams.

1 - 3 PM - Live giveaways of exclusive PAX East swag, interviews with XCOM: Enemy Unknown Producer, Garth DeAngelis, Art Director, Greg Foertsch, and Associate Producer, Lena Brenk

3 - 4 PM - Exclusive live direct feed of Spec Ops: The Line gameplay from the show floor

4 - 5 PM - Q&A, recap, and highlights for Saturdays's broadcast

Saturday, April 7th

10:30 AM - 1 PM - Welcome to PAX East: Day 2 with Kona & Elizabeth, interviews with Civilization V Producer, Tiffany Nagano, Lead Programmer Casey O'Toole, and Level Designer, Liam Collins.

1 - 4 PM - Exclusive live direct feed of Borderlands 2 gameplay from the show floor, interviews with Borderlands 2 Creative Director Paul Hellquist, Art Director Jeremy Cooke, Concept Designer & Artist, Scott Kester, and Dave Eddings (the voice of Claptrap!)

4 - 5 PM - Q&A, recap, and highlights for Sunday's broadcast

Sunday, April 8th

10:30 AM - Noon - Welcome to PAX East: Day 3 with Kona & Elizabeth, direct feed of last night's XCOM: Enemy Unknown panel from PAX East

Noon - 1 PM - Borderlands 2 coverage, including replays of interviews, gameplay, and more!

1 - 2 PM - Spec Ops: The Line coverage, including replays interviews, gameplay, and more!

2 - 3 PM - Civilization V: Gods & Kings coverage, including replays of Civilization V interviews, gameplay, and more!

3 - 4 PM - XCOM: Enemy Unknown coverage, including replays of interviews, gameplay, and more!

4 - 5 PM - Last giveaway, final Q&A, weekend recap
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 06, 2012, 12:28:17 pm »

Awesome! I'll have to try and watch!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 21, 2012, 03:35:31 am »

X-COM Dev Diary 2: http://youtu.be/oVrJjf700ao

He's not saying anything new though. I think he's drooling.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:43:06 am by Domenique »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 21, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

Actually, that's the first video of a new series called Community Video's. :) Still no second gameplay video, I'm afraid.

Here's some Pax East footage though. A panel presentation part 1 and part 2. There is also some shaky-cam footage of a Xcom fight at a rail-station. I had hoped that the last video would have gotten official footage by now, but alas. No official recap on Pax too, but we can watch the stream again, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:49:41 am by Dohon »
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:11 am »

First, an interview from Pax East, courtesy of gametrailers.

And finally something new:

The floater! Article with screenshot here and some live footage here (fast forward to 13:27).

Looks like XCOM had a little affaire with Quake IV. Strogg powah! I don't mind, the new floater looks awesome. Let's hope it can live up to the legacy of everybody's favorite orange-cape-hovering Floater!
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 27, 2012, 07:57:07 am »

It definitely needs it's cape :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 27, 2012, 10:30:29 am »

Huh, interesting. I do kinda miss the cape, but I admit they look pretty creepy and threatening.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:01 am »

They certainly do look pretty freaky. I like the animations in particular, makes them feel really hyperactive and angry. It's quite different from the old floaters who felt more dead-thing-living zombie style creepy. I think that role has been filled by the thin men though, so it's all good.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 625