Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958882 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8175 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:45 pm »

Oh, there's far more new stuff than that. There are also compact sniper rifles, several variants on the assault rifles, and all number of useful additions. They scale up through the tech tiers as well. For the record, Beagle does very long X-Com streams on Jamball's twitch channel every Thursday.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:49 pm »

I keep trying Ironman Classic and getting really frustrated. It seems like if you lose one mission in the first two months (ever?) you are boned.

I just started over again and in the very first mission, the very first turn, the very last guy to move set off BOTH groups of sectoids. One group managed to get into a flanking position and kill 2 of my men, litterally on the alien's opening turn.

I retreated the other two and managed to sneak back behind the enemy, killing all but one.

Then my guys missed. And missed. And missed. My guys missed so many times they had to reload and than they missed so many more times the game crashed.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:30 pm »

Oh, there's far more new stuff than that. There are also compact sniper rifles, several variants on the assault rifles, and all number of useful additions. They scale up through the tech tiers as well. For the record, Beagle does very long X-Com streams on Jamball's twitch channel every Thursday.
I know, I actually fought him in multiplayer on one of them (2/3, although I had to break out the squadsight sniper at the end).  Also I took embarrassingly long on my turns because of campus internet and seeker movement being incredibly frustrating.

BTW I saw your comment on one of his videos a few months ago.  Pretty funny randomly seeing someone from over here on youtube.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: July 01, 2014, 12:53:41 am »

I really wish there was some way to mod out the fatigue timer in long war. It's so freaking annoying.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8179 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:42 am »

I'd buy XCOM EW in a heartbeat if the Long War makers weren't so stuck-up about how their mod is all hardcore and difficult and if you want to play easy mode, well tough luck because we modded it to be the same as normal. Woop woop >_> It's like they think people who can't play XCOM on higher difficulties aren't worthy of their magnus opus... grumble grumble

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: July 01, 2014, 02:32:14 am »

wait. What does buying EW have to do with obtaining the Long War mod? I'm confused.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8181 on: July 01, 2014, 02:34:42 am »

Because you need the game to play the mod? :o

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:32 am »

Oh. It sounded like you weren't happy with Long War and only wanted to play regular XCOM.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:55 am »

Real X-COM gamers only play on Long War I/I with a single soldier, while pouring fire ants into their pants and reciting the Magna Carta backwards.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: July 01, 2014, 03:23:03 am »

Real X-Com gamers play OpenXCom on Superhuman, with all the custom bells and whistles turned up. (dead aliens' gear self-destructs, research consumes materials, accuracy degrades with range, aliens always on lookout for your bases, etc.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: July 01, 2014, 06:32:55 am »

REAL XCOM GAMERS SEND ACTUAL SATELLITES INTO ACTUAL SPACE WITH "SUCK IT ALIENS, WE ARE THE BEST, FUCK YOUR ALIEN POOPERS" BLARING ON ALL FREQUENCIES
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8186 on: July 01, 2014, 07:12:09 am »

Ominous! o_o

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: July 01, 2014, 09:02:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ominous! o_o
What diff level? And how are you standing with tech?
Sure enough you're against a bunch of high tier aliens but if you have plasma on normal it should be ok.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8188 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:48 am »

Yeah, I have full plasma-tier weapons and armor. :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:22 am »

If you want to get better at the game, I would suggest watching the Beaglerush "Impossible Ironman" videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ

While he *loses*, a lot, remember that he's on Impossible Ironman. Using similar strategies and techniques will let you utterly dominate on the lower difficulties, and his advice is generally quite good - he even points out when he's made mistakes and how, and since it's on II you get to see him punished for them immediately, rather than him getting lucky and succeeding despite screwing up. :V
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 625