Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959014 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7875 on: February 15, 2014, 03:00:59 am »

My sniper just grappled into a floor, and I forgot to take a screen shot. Damn it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: February 15, 2014, 04:33:24 am »

Recently picked up Enemy Within. It seems like they really raised the difficulty threshold; it used to be that I could get through the first couple of months of Classic without much trouble, and now I am losing soldiers left and right on normal, and can't seem to even rank a man to sergeant in a reasonable amount of time.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:30 am »

Let none say I do not keep my promises!

Spoiler: firing a rocket (click to show/hide)
The downside is they carry the launcher on their left thigh like a pistol. Looks surprisingly well but still strange.

Also since you guys were happy to discuss earlier, might I bother you with another thing?  :)
I didn't like the regular ranks, and they really don't make that much sense anyway so I thought I'd redo them. Your ideas for the names? So far I have this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2 3 and 4 need some more interesting names methinks.
I should note I have no clue as to military naming convention.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:58:50 am by Jelle »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:10 am »

Cool. Now, what happens if we do that to a MEC?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7879 on: February 15, 2014, 11:43:24 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, the rank names are based on actual military ranks, since XCOM is a military force, after all.

Those name changes you made have less of an soldier feel to them and more of a spy feel, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:45:51 am by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: February 15, 2014, 11:49:40 am »

It's weird, isn't it? XCOM are constantly referred to by the media ingame as a covert/unknown military force, you hire/dismiss soldiers through the barracks, and yet Bradford constantly refers to them as operatives.

What if.. Bradford is just on a power trip?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: February 15, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »

...did I just have a bug?! I got a message for an EXALT mission, and clicked the send skyranger button. But then when I got there...

EDIT: Based on what happened when I got back to base apparently both messages occurred at the same time or something and I didn't read carefully enough XD
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:29:08 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: February 15, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »

I don't know like doesn't a military organization imply it serves a nation? That and the game constantly refers to your personnel as operatives, and the situation room news paints your missions as shadow operations. Feels more like a secretive international project. I kinda imagine the world militaries are facing the incursions head on while your strike teams do the real work behind the scenes. Thus, secret organization ranks. :)

...did I just have a bug?! I got a message for an EXALT mission, and clicked the send skyranger button. But then when I got there...

EDIT: Based on what happened when I got back to base apparently both messages occurred at the same time or something and I didn't read carefully enough XD

Dat pink soldier. How can you stomach that.  :-X

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:02 pm »

I don't know like doesn't a military organization imply it serves a nation?
No more than being an intelligence organization or something would.

That and the game constantly refers to your personnel as operatives...
True enough.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: February 15, 2014, 01:30:25 pm »

Also since you guys were happy to discuss earlier, might I bother you with another thing?  :)
I didn't like the regular ranks, and they really don't make that much sense anyway so I thought I'd redo them. Your ideas for the names? So far I have this.
2 3 and 4 need some more interesting names methinks.
I should note I have no clue as to military naming convention.

O.o

I made a similar personal mod as well and I have almost exactly the same rank names. I have:
Entropy is not what it used to be.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:10 pm »

I don't know like doesn't a military organization imply it serves a nation?

The UN has a military.  Mercenary groups probably have a military structure as well, not that I would know.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: February 15, 2014, 02:05:39 pm »

They're probably referred to as operatives for the same reason as a delta operative is, also mercenary groups do run on a military structure, a colonel was originally a leader of a mercenary company.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7887 on: February 15, 2014, 03:12:44 pm »

How is Commando a rank?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: February 15, 2014, 03:29:04 pm »

Dat pink soldier. How can you stomach that.  :-X
Obviously those are Power Rangers, so there needs to be a pink one.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

O.o

I made a similar personal mod as well and I have almost exactly the same rank names. I have:
Great minds think alike yes?  :P

Gah I was hoping to find some detailed information on how ufo detection and missions work. Despite numerous playthroughs I must admit to still not knowing how exactly it works. Not that it's really needed if all you need to do is shoot 'em down as they come. The wiki wasn't particularly informative on the subject.

So anyone here knows how it works exactly? From what I gather the regular ufos you detect (wich vary in class) are mostly there just to be shot down and don't carry out missions, while the ones that do carry out missions cannot be detected. I also gather that the aliens stop sending abduction missions after certain satelite coverage is achieved. Ufo with a definite mission that I have been able to detect however are the ones trying to shoot down satelites, wich only pop up if you ignore the regular ufos (wich I suppose means the regular ones might have a scout mission).
I haven't really payed attention to the amount of alien missions (terror and abductions) per month. There's probably at least one a month, but are there more? I also assume the ufo objective in the hyperwave intel report is flavor text, as I don't think I've seen them carry the mission out if I ignore them.
Hypothetically (and extremely unlikely, it's hard to fail at safeguarding the skies) if you were to lose a bunch of satelites where the aliens were previously no longer abducting, would they start doing so again?
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 625