Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958691 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7680 on: February 06, 2014, 09:48:41 pm »

I don't remember, btw. Does "nothing you can do" extend to waiting for the bugger to settle down so you can take it intact? It works in the original, but the original is, well, the original.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:39 pm »

There's no real guarantee that will happen. Very often, the UFO will just raise Panic and vanish.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: February 06, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »

You only need the power source for the firestorm.

By that point, you should have plentiful satellites to see landed ships, as well as been in the alien base. The EMP cannon should also be a very easy research project at this point.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7683 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »

You also need it for MEC tier 2.

Which is rather important.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

Just started a mission on a landed supply ship - get to the first Meld, and my Assault throws a battle scanner, right next to two seekers.  During their move, a Seeker moves and attracts overwatch fire and is killed, the other then initiates stealth mode and then ... the game hangs.
   Dammit :/

Gonna have to go back to when I last saved a week prior in the base.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »

Save. Your. Work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7686 on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »

Or turn on Autosave or Ironman.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:53 pm »

I only save when something important occurs; like a research project is finished; something major gets built; returning from a mission; or that sort of thing.  So I only lost three days where nothing important happened, and events that happen during the month must be determined on the 1st of the month.  Time rolled on, I got the same mission, only difference was a slightly different start point and Meld relocated.  Oh, and different crew composition.  {Thank Armok, the one I lost had two Cyberdisks and a flock of Drones, while the new one had two Mechtoids, much easier}.

Also, I have no doubt that my recently promoted Support is a psuedo-Assault; Bring 'Em On; Aggression; Resilience; Tactical Sense; and Rapid Reaction.  Or it might be that she's Mexican.

Edit: The French know exactly how to open my armoury......
Spoiler: Non-Steam picture (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:57:55 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: February 07, 2014, 01:16:59 pm »

That is a lot of light plasma. You must capture aliens a lot more often than I do, since I almost never have enough plasma until rather late in the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: February 07, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »

Of course, you have to wonder exactly how many people are in the French army when 5 light plasma is enough to "exponentially beef up their military might".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »

Of course, you have to wonder exactly how many people are in the French army when 5 light plasma is enough to "exponentially beef up their military might".
I believe this just ties into my theory that the Council Nations have their own research and production bases, and when they "give" you scientists and engineers they just provide you with an off-site lab and some of their own staff.

So when you are giving the French 5 light plasma rifles, you are giving them 5 already reverse-engineered and ready-for-production examples of the tech.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: February 07, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »

Speaking of Portent, does it repeat?  I skipped it because of all the horror stories I'd heard, figuring it would recur like Slingshot, but I haven't seen it again.  If I don't finish Portent is Progeny locked off?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: February 07, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »

I suppose they only give them to soldiers that don't surrender immediately. Surprised they needed that many.

Seriously, how has no one made a cheese-eating surrender monkey joke yet?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

11 is an exponent. :P

Genuinely, I assume that either the countries are using their own special ops forces as a rapid-response force akin to X-COM (only slower, without the Skyranger or advanced interceptors), or else they're reverse-engineering the samples you give them for their own use since the ticker reports unlocked by fulfilling these missions seem to reflect a more general use. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:19:56 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 625