Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958655 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6030 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:54 am »

They're not mechs either. Kinda cyborgs.

I just wonder how they're going to explain the Meld. I mean, Elerium and the alien plating were logical, but an evaporating resource scattered around battlefields? Were does it come from?
I get the feeling Meld is going to be related to how the aliens successfully use so much implanted technology without rejection issues.

Perhaps Meld is nanomachines that will "die" if they do not have power available, be that from an artificial source or being inside a living thing, and the UFO crash leaves them without power?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09:40 am »

But why would they be strewn across the battlefield? Hell, why would they be lose around the place. Hardly probable that you're going to do an operation in the middle of a mission.

But the game isn't out yet, so no point in complaining about plotholes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:16 am »

But why would they be strewn across the battlefield? Hell, why would they be lose around the place. Hardly probable that you're going to do an operation in the middle of a mission.
So far, the screenshots only show them in UFO crash maps. So they were thrown about because of the crash.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:49 am »

No British accents, and by the look of it no other accents either:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/27/the-mod-squad-xcom-enemy-within-interview/

RPS: Do you have British accents?

Gupta: (sighs) No, we don’t. We explored that a little when Yahtzee said he’d record Australian accents for us, and we thought ‘that’d be kind of fun’. But we couldn’t logistically organise that.

RPS: The reason I ask, not about the British thing in particular, is that it ties back to storytelling. Making XCOM feel international is important for me. I like the idea of these people from all corners of the world, coming together to save all of the corners. Speaking of story, why is the name of the expansion Enemy Within? What does it refer to specifically?

Gupta: I alluded to that earlier. We’re taking the idea of using alien technology further, bringing it inside the soldiers’ bodies. The cybernetic enhancements and genetic modifications are unlocked by performing autopsies. You can imagine what Dr Vahlen is doing – she’s like, ‘oh, this is a nice bit! I’ll grab that.’ Once we came up with the theme of Enemy Within – and it’s hard for me to remember which came first, some of the ideas or the actual theme – we had a lot of stuff we wanted to add. It’s a strong theme.

I think it's just gone back in the "I'll purchase if it's in an amazing sale" pile. I still only have 8 hours played on XCOM...I have little desire to increase that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: August 28, 2013, 11:06:36 am »

No no, he meant no accents. But other languages still there.

So it's 70% of the world still America.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:54 am »

So, Firaxis, you can be from any ENGLISH speaking country as long as it's America?

Sometimes, a *facepalm* just isn't enough.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:37 am »

So, Firaxis, you can be from any ENGLISH speaking country as long as it's America?

Sometimes, a *facepalm* just isn't enough.
But making accents for the brit and aussie characters is hard. The firaxis team do need to take a break to fling wads of paper made from 100 dollar bills dipped in champagne every now and then.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:03 am »

I think it's America, Russia, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, and Poland.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: August 28, 2013, 11:18:21 am »

I think it's America, Russia, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, and Poland.
I'm going to have an entire squad of people talking in russian without them being russian.

In fact, for no reason whatsoever, I'm not going to have a single person speaking english in my entire organisation (except for the cutscene stuff, ugh).

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:30 am »

I'm going to have an entire squad of people talking in russian without them being russian.

In fact, for no reason whatsoever, I'm not going to have a single person speaking english in my entire organisation (except for the cutscene stuff, ugh).

I would make copies of all the axis squaddies from Silent Storm, making them japanese, german and italian respectively.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:20 pm »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

They said they weren't trying to make it Mass Effect.

Something that players find really fun about XCOM is the soldier narratives. We don’t lay out soldier narratives. We are not Mass Effect with scripted soldier plotlines. Even the DLC was pretty light-handed, Operation Slingshot. And so, players’ imaginations fill in the blanks.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: August 28, 2013, 12:30:29 pm »

The point is that they weren't trying to make it X-COM. Now, let us never speak of 2K's abomination again.
No Gods, No Masters.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

They said they weren't trying to make it Mass Effect.
Excuse me, but I don't really see any similarities between XCOM and Mass Effect. Is that because I am a knowledgeless n00b or is it because there aren't any?

Yeah, one could argue that the over-shoulder camera makes it feel sorta 3rd-person-shooty-ish, but that's only if you've never actually played a 3rd person shooter. Also, I think it rather adds to the tension and cinematicness of the whole situation.

Otherwise, I don't really see any similarities.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »

The point is that they weren't trying to make it X-COM. Now, let us never speak of 2K's abomination again.

Sorry, but this is the thread for it. If you don't like it, that's your problem.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

Sorry, but this is the thread for it. If you don't like it, that's your problem.
I thought this was the thread for Firaxis' XCOM, the turn-based one.

I think The Bureau has its own thread.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:37:57 pm by Krevsin »
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 625