Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958809 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5385 on: January 14, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »

The final scene of the final mission is actually really easy to take down in a single round if you have 2 fusion rockets and 2 teamsight snipers, and 1 other guy with ghost armor. If you can ghost for more than a round, you can get through with less heavy beyond visual range artillery and still take no damage.

The Last round is also easy if you use ghost armor with your entire team to get your entire team up close.

It isn't that hard.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: January 14, 2013, 04:25:51 pm »

The final scene of the final mission is actually really easy to take down in a single round if you have 2 fusion rockets and 2 teamsight snipers, and 1 other guy with ghost armor. If you can ghost for more than a round, you can get through with less heavy beyond visual range artillery and still take no damage.

The Last round is also easy if you use ghost armor with your entire team to get your entire team up close.

It isn't that hard.
Or if you do what Mal did.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:09 pm »

It isn't that hard.
Or if you do what Mal did.

It is just a really easy room and in fact not even the toughest room in the entire guantlet.

Heck possibly not even the third toughest.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: January 14, 2013, 05:11:21 pm »

It's the room that nearly wiped my team in my first run of the game while all the others weren't even nearly as nasty, so your mileage may vary.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: January 14, 2013, 05:15:28 pm »

I remember the entire last level being an incredibly disappointing cakewalk, and the last room was the pathetic cherry atop the mediocre cake.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »

It's the room that nearly wiped my team in my first run of the game while all the others weren't even nearly as nasty, so your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I found it to be rather nasty my first time through. Once you know what to expect it's not particularly hard, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: January 14, 2013, 06:26:47 pm »

Yeah, I found it to be rather nasty my first time through. Once you know what to expect it's not particularly hard, though.

I guess what made it easy for me is I scouted ahead and found what enemies were there. So I used my entire team in stealth armor (except one in stealth armor who I made stay back) to go in.

Next turn it was easy enough to kill two of them, possess another, and then suicide against them. I actually ended up with no deaths.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »

If you expect a load of sectopods, will you survive?

Actually I managed that one quite well. Sectopods will fall quite easily to a uninjured team as their autodefense is puny.

It took two turns.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:54 pm »

I have found that normal is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than classic. I go from losing a guy or two a mission usually on classic to having lost 1 rookie.ever. and I've got probably 20 missions in. including the alien base. I have 2 colonels, both snipers, and atleast 6 that are captain or major. I DO WORK. after i beat this playthough Im going to go back to getting destroyed on classic until i beat it. laser snipers just destroy everything. that and double tap just kills it.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: January 14, 2013, 10:22:45 pm »

You have to take advantage of your mobility (stealth too), against Sectopod. Two assault with alloy, run & gun (and eventually lightning reflexes, or close combat bonus), can destroy a sectopod. I found the bonuses for close combat to be fairly impressive with run and gun. A 100% hit & critical can save your life.

And yes, there is a big gap between normal and classic. From stroll in a park to harsh RNG.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »

I have found that normal is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than classic. I go from losing a guy or two a mission usually on classic to having lost 1 rookie.ever. and I've got probably 20 missions in. including the alien base. I have 2 colonels, both snipers, and atleast 6 that are captain or major. I DO WORK. after i beat this playthough Im going to go back to getting destroyed on classic until i beat it. laser snipers just destroy everything. that and double tap just kills it.

Classic does have a breaking point though. Once lucky alien shots don't kill you, you have finally broken through and can play the game much more easily.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: January 15, 2013, 01:02:45 am »

It's not just lucky alien shots, but the ability to kill them before they can fire at all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:41 am »

I found the last mission a cakewalk because it's only a few enemies at a time and Psi-Rift is devastating. The only times guys really die for me in the game are lucky alien critical hits or when I try and flank/move and uncover lots of enemies (normally after half my squad has fired :( )

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: January 15, 2013, 04:48:45 am »

I found the last mission a cakewalk because it's only a few enemies at a time and Psi-Rift is devastating. The only times guys really die for me in the game are lucky alien critical hits or when I try and flank/move and uncover lots of enemies (normally after half my squad has fired :( )

Well not to mention that it

A) Gives you so much cover that it takes out one of the major difficulties in playing the game
B) Puts enemies far away as to negate their advantages even to uselessness
C) Doesn't mix enemy type often forgetting that some of them actually worked better together.
D) Enemies rarely exist independently and just appear at once negating their surprise factor since you will be expecting them.
E) Indestructible easily accessible cover

It doesn't help that the mission seems to be trying to help you all the way.

Heck even the toughest room in the entire mission, which would be threatening in any other mission, is made even the more easy by an overabundance of cover that actually stops enemy movement but not your own.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:08 am »

You don't even need cover in the last mission, it's easy to kill all the enemies in one turn and on the off chance that there are some survivors it's pretty easy to heal up all the damage. Psi Heavies with support healers are just evil though, the sectopods didn't stand a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 625