Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959303 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5040 on: December 11, 2012, 12:22:28 pm »

Yes it is. I'm not entirely clear on if it gives you just one copy of the weapon and you have to research it later to build more though.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »

I just made it through the end of the month, very difficult abduction mission.  I had researched titan armor, and plasma rifles, but didn't have the cash to actually buy them...
So my trusty squad of whoever was still alive after the disasterous month was put together:
A top level sniper, a high level heavy, two squaddie assaults, a squaddie heavy, and a squaddie support...

We hid behind some cars like cowards, hearing enemies all around.  Some floaters showed up, and were destroyed by overwatch fire.
After waiting around, it was clear nobody else was going to just walk into my ambush, so I started scouting.  There was a cyberdisk hiding in a nearby building!
My heavy, with the heat perk, blasted it and it's drones with a rocket, blowing up half the building.  We were able to finish off the cyberdisk without incident.  But some mutons heard the ruckus, and came after us.

Luckily, two were close together, one behind a car.  The other heavy blew him sky high, and heavily damaged the other.  This left me with one full health muton, and one badly wounded.  They incapacitated one of my assaults, but we were able to stabilize him, and finish off the mutons.  So 0 casualties, and 3 promotions.  I wasn't able to capture a muton, as I had hoped, but at least everyone made it out alive.

Explosives really won the day for me.  That, and hiding like a coward when I heard scary alien noises.  Suppressing fire may have saved one of my soldiers from the last muton, and I was really glad to have taken holo targeting over bullet swarm.  For winning the mission, I got a badly needed captain support.

After that, the month ended, and I was able to buy titan armor for my squad, and hire 6 new soldiers.  Things are looking up.  Now hopefully I can capture an outsider...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: December 11, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »

You have titan armor that early?

I only got that armor after the fourth or fifth month. I was fighting mutons and cyberdisks with lasers before I suck it up and tried to capture some mutons.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:34 pm »

I rushed carapace armor first thing.  Then lasers(only rifles and pistols).  I just barely had finished lasers before the first terror mission.  Then I caught up on researching the various alien artifacts, and the research that lets you actually capture them.  Some time in there, I was going to lose south america, so I sent a couple of satelites and grabbed the bonus.  Then I did all my autopsies. 
I captured a floater in there somewhere, allowing me to start on light plasma research.  After that I did elerium, then titan armor.

My ships are still just the basic ones, with the basic missiles.  I got lucky and took down a medium ship, but no luck with the large one.  So now I'm playing catch up with my ship research.

I figured rushing for titan armor would give me some leeway in getting some captures without losing too many troops.  I just ran into berserkers though.  And my foundry is just now being built.  Still, I think it paid off, although I deperately need to train up some troops.  I have way too many squaddies, and my max level sniper getting all the kills isn't helping with that.

This is all ironman classic.  Man, my second terror mission lived up to its name.  While I was dealing with wave after wave of enemies, more and more kept coming.  Those stupid chrysalids were making zombies, which made more chrysalids, all offscreen.  That didn't happen in normal mode...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: December 11, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »

I made a new game, and I've something strange : enemy that spawn really oddly. I had a place that I was able to see (even shot a couple floaters there), and when I went closer, 3 floaters popped out of nowhere (at a place I was seeing nearly since the start).
Later, I had also the same, but with an already known one. He was in my sight, shot one of my guy (seeing the plasma coming from nowhere), and appeared only atfer the end of alien turn.
Anyone had the same issue ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:30:39 pm by PanH »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5045 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:14 am »

Today I mourn the death of Captain Ursula "Nova" Schneider of Germany, a long time veteran of this impossible campaign against the alien terror with 33 confirmed kills over 11 missions. She fell in the last moments of operation hot scepter by the concentrated fire of a half dozen thin men, just before the team could be extracted after disarming an alien plasma bomb planted within a cemetery. She is the highest ranking victim of this senseless violence.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:59 am »

On that note I'd also like to.. erm.. report on the death of Captain "Cockup" Smith. During his... esteemed.. tenure at Xcom, he completed over 20 missions and landed 32 kills. However, 15 of them were the rookie he was assigned to guard. Among his most memorable moments were panicing on first contact with the aliens, panicing on his first injury, and every injury after that, and perhaps most memorably, misaiming a rocket 45 degrees to the right to kill Col. EagleEye. His death in operation Empty Tears, where he failed on three consecutive turns to hit a sectoid at 2 paces was met with celebration at X-Com HQ. His body has most likely been left in the alley, as nobody really bothered to check.

(Seriously I don't even know what happened to this guy, but he managed to kill someone damn near every mission he was assigned to. The incident with Eagle Eye actually killed two rookies as well, but I don't remember their names at all)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: December 13, 2012, 12:36:20 am »

Suffice to say, the tears over his death were fake.

Empty, you might say.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: December 13, 2012, 04:56:59 am »

This is all ironman classic.  Man, my second terror mission lived up to its name.  While I was dealing with wave after wave of enemies, more and more kept coming.  Those stupid chrysalids were making zombies, which made more chrysalids, all offscreen.  That didn't happen in normal mode...

I knooow that second terror mission is outright well....terifying! After losing two soldiers I had to move all my troops as far away from the terror site as possible just to keep them alive. The amount of chrysalids was ungodly, I must have collected around 20 corpses.
On the bright side, chitin armor (or whatev it's called) for the survivors!

Got me titan armor on month 3, or was it early 4 I can't recall, and finally decided to attack the alien base. I lost two good men in there, one just had a streak of bad luck when he got hit thrice out of three, and one a crit. The other guy died after my sniper failed a crucial 75% shot....four times. Ugh, damn you randomness, and you worthless french sniper.

It's getting a little weird now though, somehow all my male soldiers are getting KIA leaving me with a lot of female soldiers. Right now my main squad is 4/6 female, and depending on wich class this latest recruit picks maybe 5/6.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: December 13, 2012, 06:37:30 am »

Hurrrrr
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: December 13, 2012, 07:47:37 am »

Well you can see your soldier is looking away, you need to wait until he is looking at the thin man.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: December 13, 2012, 09:04:06 am »

You see, since he's downward from you, and over a wall... and uh... XCom soldiers can't see between bars... and as everyone knows, you can only shoot at an enemy if you can see his legs...
Plus, you know, he's really thin...

That's XCOM?

But I bet he had no problem shooting you next turn, right?

Damn punk ass soldiers and their funky LOS

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: December 13, 2012, 09:24:49 am »

But I bet HE can see YOU!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: December 13, 2012, 10:11:41 am »

Clearly, the low-level electromagnetic fields surrounding those metallic bars created a barrier of conflicting polarization that would destabilize the magnetic projectile containment of the heavy plasma's shots, causing the attack to fizzle.

...whereas the thin man could just, you know, uhh...  Hell, I don't know.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:01 am »

I noticed quite a bunch of bugs like that since the DLC (although I didn't bought it). Or is it just me ?
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 625