Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959398 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4935 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:15 pm »

I don't think anyone can move after falling from the sky.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: December 01, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »

Many things can. A lot of creatures can fall harmlessly at their terminal velocity.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: December 01, 2012, 07:53:11 pm »

Don't you find that their poison spit is unerring over really long ranges?
It's a guaranteed three(?) points damage over a couple of rounds.  While I've never had more than one guy hit per combat, I imagine it could get nasty if they did it more often.  Even if each Thin Man could only spit once, imagine nine of them having a go.....
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:19 pm »

Many things can. A lot of creatures can fall harmlessly at their terminal velocity.

Shush, you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: December 01, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »

Shush, you.

Good thing that wasn't a joke or else that article may even SLIGHTLY apply in the least.

Well ok... what Robosaur said was a joke. What I said was simply factual.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: December 01, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »

The most popular thing that makes me want to punch people may very well be linking to Cracked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: December 02, 2012, 01:28:53 am »

Don't you find that their poison spit is unerring over really long ranges?
It's a guaranteed three(?) points damage over a couple of rounds.  While I've never had more than one guy hit per combat, I imagine it could get nasty if they did it more often.  Even if each Thin Man could only spit once, imagine nine of them having a go.....

Thin Men can spit more than once; the spit is on a cooldown. Also, like grenades, it has perfect accuracy (they pick an AoE to affect; everything in the AoE gets affected, guaranteed).

That said, carrying a Medkit or wearing Titan Armour grants complete immunity to poison. Being healed by a medkit removes the poison, in addition to healing any damage taken. And poison spit can't crit, unlike those light plasma rifles.

I'd take the slow, steady, and low damage of poison spit over a potential insta-kill any day. Or, to put it another way: a 100% chance of 3 damage, manageably spread out over 3 turns, is far preferable to a 30% chance of an 8-damage crit, killing a soldier instantly. :o

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: December 02, 2012, 11:11:34 am »

Good thing that wasn't a joke or else that article may even SLIGHTLY apply in the least.
Well ok... what Robosaur said was a joke. What I said was simply factual.

You clearly didn't read the item linked. Here's a summary for you: Stop trying so hard to make everyone think you are an idiot. No one cares about your facts unless they actually add something to the conversation. All it does is make you look incapable of regular social interaction. Stop being a buzzkill and generally terrible person. Stop ruining things for people.

I've got to say, I kind of agree with the article. But back to x-com!

I've only been defeated once with my multiplayer strat, against a player who'd played me before and was using a slightly modified version of my own strategy. And that was mostly because I didn't realize the bar had fucking awnings on one side. What bullshit! Argh! So I was robbed of battlefield knowledge by that fact that it was impossible for my thin man to get to the roof in a timely manner - by the time I arrived, the enemy had already established their defense stronghold up there. Bluh.

(I beat him a few times afterwards with that strat and others, and all I have to say about that is: It's incredibly stupid that chrysalids can only zombify humans)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4943 on: December 02, 2012, 12:36:56 pm »

(It's incredibly stupid that chrysalids can only zombify humans)
I disagree. How else are you supposed to deal with chrysalids if they can turn any unit, no matter how WEAK, into another chrysalid? T'would be unfair IMO if there wasn't a decent counter to them in multiplayer.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: December 02, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »

(It's incredibly stupid that chrysalids can only zombify humans)
I disagree. How else are you supposed to deal with chrysalids if they can turn any unit, no matter how WEAK, into another chrysalid? T'would be unfair IMO if there wasn't a decent counter to them in multiplayer.

Chrysalid's don't have guns. You counter them with superior firepower. :P I agree that it would be a tad bit insane for them to turn everything they killed into more Chrysalids, but it would hardly be impossible to win against them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »

They cost a third of your point total, only deal around 7 damage tops, can't effect flying units AT ALL, can't use cover, don't have a whole lot of life...

There are a dozen effective counters to them in multiplayer, to the point where they are completely useless right now.

To whit:
Flying units COMPLETELY negate them, of which there are plenty.
Easily outnumbered by alien units or even humans and gunned down before being able to do anything
Zombies, even when you get them, are so slow that killing them is trivial
Chitin armor, battle stims, or even units with just a straight decent amount of health can easily survive multiple chrysalid attacks, leaving the chrysalids as ripe target for revenge.
Any unit with a decent attack power can one shot them. (Snipers, heavies, assaults) with little effort.

The ONLY benefit they have is their near-immunity to mind-effects. And that's... not really all that great.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

You clearly didn't read the item linked. Here's a summary for you: Stop trying so hard to make everyone think you are an idiot. No one cares about your facts unless they actually add something to the conversation. All it does is make you look incapable of regular social interaction. Stop being a buzzkill and generally terrible person. Stop ruining things for people.

this is exactly what I was trying to say. Sorry for lacking the ability to not link to cracked in this situation but it was the easiest way to state my thoughts.

IN CONTINUATION.

Sectopods.
Fuck their overwatch.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: December 02, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

This is what assaults and snipers were invented for! Nothing like being able to ignore overwatch and take out a sectopod in a single turn.

Heavies can do the second but not the first, but they can also suppress, as can supports (and heavies can do 6 damage in the process at higher levels). A suppressed sectopod has a fairly low chance of hitting (their accuracy isn't super great), and if you suppress with a heavy/support and then smoke or tk-shield, you are pretty much perfectly safe.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: December 03, 2012, 01:03:57 am »

6 damage? I thought that even with plasma weaponry a heavy suppressing could only do 3 damage. Unless sectopods count as two targets for some reason.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

HEAT ammo with it's +100% robotic damage maybe?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 625