Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959442 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4860 on: November 23, 2012, 06:26:46 am »

Hah, great story! Keep us posted on how it develops :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: November 23, 2012, 08:50:27 am »

I'm not giving you good odds - the real bottleneck with that sort of playthrough is going to be your inability to get decent amounts of alloys. You'll have, what... 1/12th of a standard alloy income?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: November 23, 2012, 08:56:17 am »

I'm not giving you good odds - the real bottleneck with that sort of playthrough is going to be your inability to get decent amounts of alloys. You'll have, what... 1/12th of a standard alloy income?

While you will Alloy starve, a good strategy is to just forgo making Plasma weaponry except sniper rifles. Especially since the game works by the weird logic that once you research weaponry the enemy will start using it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: November 23, 2012, 10:19:19 am »

So what sort of content do you think would have made a good addition?

Personally, I would have liked to have seen...

*Alien Snipers - they get a limited version of squadsight, instead able to fire at anything that can be seen by some sort of "spotter drone". In fact, it could probably be some sort of robot or machine. So many levels with those nice sniping platforms, it would be interesting if the aliens actually had a use for them. Would be interesting for one of the "task" missions, where you need to work your way towards and eliminate the sniper or snipers.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: November 23, 2012, 10:29:16 am »

So what sort of content do you think would have made a good addition?

Personally, I would have liked to have seen...

*Alien Snipers - they get a limited version of squadsight, instead able to fire at anything that can be seen by some sort of "spotter drone". In fact, it could probably be some sort of robot or machine. So many levels with those nice sniping platforms, it would be interesting if the aliens actually had a use for them. Would be interesting for one of the "task" missions, where you need to work your way towards and eliminate the sniper or snipers.

We don't have any large 2x2 units like the original. Probably something to do with pathfinding, though they would have been neat.

Also, some more terror units would have been nice, honestly. Chrysalids are scary and all, but knowing that they'll more-or-less appear at every terror mission kinda ruins the effect a bit. Some Reapers or Celatids would have been great. Actually, Celatids would have made some great snipers, what with their high accuracy and (fluff) brain-detection. They definitively need a make-over though. Floating kidney beans aren't scary at all.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:39 am »

The cyberdiscs and sectopods aren't 2x2 units?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: November 23, 2012, 10:39:27 am »

Chrysalids are scary and all

Its odd but after you really get a handle on them... their scaryness really diminishes. Except I guess on Impossible Terror missions.

Their main strength is the fact that they abuse the games line of sight system to gain huge leaps forward. Yet any experienced player will know how much the system likes to abuse that to doom you.

It is kinda one of the reasons why they are so terrible in the PVP.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:52:51 am by Neonivek »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: November 23, 2012, 10:45:25 am »

Well... I honestly have no idea. Let me check...

FAKEEDIT: Neither of them are 2x2. Cyberdiscs just barely fit into a square when folded up, and Sectopods (and expanded Cyberdiscs) kinda spill into the surrounding squares but are still 1x1 units.

Also, weren't the Cyberdiscs supposed to more forms than spider/disc, or am I just mis-remembering things?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: November 23, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »

FAKEEDIT: Neither of them are 2x2. Cyberdiscs just barely fit into a square when folded up, and Sectopods (and expanded Cyberdiscs) kinda spill into the surrounding squares but are still 1x1 units.

Also, weren't the Cyberdiscs supposed to more forms than spider/disc, or am I just mis-remembering things?
Any other forms were probably cut for some reason. I'm not really sure what other forms it could have used, as it's already got the high-offense spider form and the high-defense disk form, plus the ability to change between them essentially at will.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: November 23, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »

Any other forms were probably cut for some reason. I'm not really sure what other forms it could have used, as it's already got the high-offense spider form and the high-defense disk form, plus the ability to change between them essentially at will.

Cassette-player form for infiltration?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: November 23, 2012, 01:09:43 pm »

Cassette-player form for infiltration?
That's what Thin Men are for  ???
Yes, I realize that's a joke
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: November 23, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »

Honestly they BARELY keep up even pretending the Thin Men are actually for infultration.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: November 23, 2012, 01:21:19 pm »

Infiltration units are "small, lightly equipped infantry forces attacking enemy rear areas while bypassing enemy front line strongpoints and isolating them for attack by follow-up troops with heavier weapons." (wikipedia)

There were consistently used for infiltration in-game, so I don't know what you mean by "barely keep up pretending".

I mean, it's pretty much the only thing they get used for. o_o

(And bomb missions, which are also pretty easy to consider the purview of infiltration forces)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: November 23, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

I really think they should have played the Matrix-agent theme a bit heavier with those guys.  And yeah, one really has to wonder just how they're trying to pass these guys off as infiltrated/ing spies.

"Newsflash:  Politician with skin condition and speech impediment farts at charity dinner, 8 people dead."

...actually, the scary part about that is that you could probably read that headline in a real newspaper and not be too surprised. 

I need to read the news more...

Pre-post edit:  If they were looking to enforce the military infiltration side of a unit, then they really didn't have to make them look humanoid.  And I believe it even says as part of some text in the game that they were supposed to infiltrate our society and blend in amongst the people.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »

Infiltration units are "small, lightly equipped infantry forces attacking enemy rear areas while bypassing enemy front line strongpoints and isolating them for attack by follow-up troops with heavier weapons." (wikipedia)

There were consistently used for infiltration in-game, so I don't know what you mean by "barely keep up pretending".

You're talking about battlefield infiltration tactics.

Everyone else is talking about espionage, which is also called infiltration (including the developers when they call thin men "infiltration" units).
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 625