Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959476 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4830 on: November 18, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »

I've only ever had the abductor roof glitch. I ended up just letting those ones go after the first one.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: November 18, 2012, 08:33:45 pm »

In the later part of the game now. Finished all the research. Things are really just kind of dragging out. Only gotten one pisonic soldier - I guess that will have to be enough.

Just need to take a few more down ships to finish kitting everyone out...

Also, my favorite team is pretty much officially...

1 squad sight sniper in archangel with "In the Zone"
1 med-support in ghost
4 heavies, 2 in ghost, 2 in Titan+Chryssalid Armor. Combined with their 2 damage resistance per attack, they are human tanks. It's glorious.

I might end up swapping one of the heavies out for a tank though - I do tend to accumulate drones as I play through missions, heh.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:37:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:40 pm »

Never played around with capturing drones. How useful are they?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:30 pm »

If you have decent shivs, immensely, since they have their infinite-heal-guns.

They also serve as fairly effective scouts and decoys. Their actual weapon sucks though, so they are mostly useful at keeping your shivs in tip-top shape.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: November 19, 2012, 03:03:07 am »

In fact they are SO useful to Shivs that you actually start to wonder why they don't keep those drones.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: November 19, 2012, 07:19:56 am »

I'm surprised anyone would use a shiv late game. Support soldiers with light plasma rifles, titan armour, medpacks, chitin armour and specced for healing make brilliant scouts.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:36 am »

I ran through a late game mission once with only hover plasma shivs. It was extremely easy. They're extremely fast, always have the equivalent of full cover (this also reaction shots far less likely to hit them), can fly, and as such you can drive them into what would be insane positions for soldiers to get extremely easy shots, and if you can't kill something you can just suppress it, and it will be quite unlikely to hit your shivs, and they're healthy enough to take a whack or two, even late game. Also, they don't have to worry about psi enemies at all. Probably not quite as good as a full squad of captains, but far, far more replaceable.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: November 19, 2012, 08:57:45 am »

And if you can capture a single drone, they have infinite heals.

The suppression is quite useful as well, especially against units like Sectopods which are dangerous but have poor accuracy.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:50 am »

Yuck. Just got stuck in final bridge mission. After explode, part of the bridge dissapeared and it's was only square I can proceed. 3 my soldiers on one side, 3 on other. All 3 autosaves have it, so I must restart.  :'(
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:08 pm »

And if you can capture a single drone, they have infinite heals.

The suppression is quite useful as well, especially against units like Sectopods which are dangerous but have poor accuracy.
Funnily enough, I've never seen a Sectopod miss. Those things are just plain dangerous and I dread running into them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: November 20, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »

Just finished Classic iron man. Got hit by a sectopod twice - once with it's laser, which killed a good soldier and damaged another, and once by it's missile salvo, which did a hilariously small amount of damage to the guy it hit.

Overall, I did not find them to be serious threats. This may be thanks to my frequent and judicious use of smoke, suppression, and TK shield though.

And then I got a max level assault, and they stopped living long enough to get a shot off. ;) It's nice to be able to kill one of those things in one turn with one guy, for sure. (My Double-Tap sniper could also one-turn them if they got lucky, but usually they finished them off after they were shredded)

I've decided the units that I really fear (in order) are Berserkers (they killed SO many of my guys, and even if they get not-so-tough later, they still managed to eat a lot of damage before going down and pose a serious risk if ignored), Ethereals (One shotting dudes with stuff that goes right through my heavy defensive builds), and (for low life rookie or pre-decent-armor units) thin men and chrysalids.

Ah, Chrysalids.

Also: I remain completely unable to play multiplayer. :( No multiplayer cheevos for me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:50:45 pm by GlyphGryph »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: November 20, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »

I don't think I've ever lost a soldier to a berserker O_o
Hell, I can count the number of times I've even been wounded by them on one hand.

Ethereals are moderately dangerous, more so for their mind-control and high defense than their damage-dealing ability. When your best assault controlled in tight quarters, you will know the true meaning of fear.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: November 20, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »

Berserks can move, and then charge (which lets them move and then attack), and deal a minimum of 9 damage. That's enough to kill most units unless they are wearing chitin plating. And they have a 15 health or so? In addition to taking reduced damage from every shot and having a natural defense bonus. And usually appear before one gets plasma weapons. And you can't disable them. AND every time you attack them, they get closer, AND they get a chance to intimidate your units.

Honestly, I don't know how you could not lose a couple guys to berserkers. o_o

For Ethereals, Mind Control means they don't hurt anyone, and then they are dead, and you can attack with the mind controlled guy anyway. It's honestly not that bad. But their mind attack can easily do a truckload of damage and kill a guy at full health if they aren't yet Major or close to it.

But when they just /attack/?

There's jack shit you can do about that except hope they hit someone with enough life and don't do enough damage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »

Dealing with berserkers is actually pretty easy, as long as you're in a reasonably open area (which is usually quite simple, since they follow you around). One important thing to remember is that they do not respond to Overwatch fire with free movement or intimidation, so if you can arrange a decent ambush they'll often die. Their free movement in response to damage does not give them a chance to attack. Also (in my experience) they will not move if Suppressed, unless you're using a Heavy with that ability that causes damage while suppressing.

Ethereals, on the other hand, have no easy solutions. They have really good natural defense, so even a Colonel Sniper with a SCOPE will find it hard to have a 100% shot. They've got the HP to survive rockets and grenades. I've had good results with high-level Assaults running up and delivering a double-shot, but if that screws up you'll either lose him or he'll come after you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:46 am »

I honestly don't see how "an open area" is supposed to be enough to deal with berserkers. Their natural defense bonus means that most shots won't be firing at 100% to hit, and a squad of five with laser weapons needs at least three solid hits to bring him down.

And they don't come alone, either!

But I think the worst is that I often have to deal with 2 or 3 at once. Stupid supply ships. Even with well equipped troops that can be a nightmare. Mutons tend to move around the map a lot, so having multiple squads trigger is not uncommon.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 625