Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959599 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4680 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:44 pm »

Just started a new game. Classic, Ironman, Red Fog, Damage Roulette, Hidden Potential and Not Created Equal.

Fuck me running, this is hard. Just got to my first terror mission, and lost four out of five soldiers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4681 on: October 29, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »

Just started a new game. Classic, Ironman, Red Fog, Damage Roulette, Hidden Potential and Not Created Equal.

Fuck me running, this is hard. Just got to my first terror mission, and lost four out of five soldiers.
Considering how many Second Wave options you have active, and the fact that you were on a Terror Mission, that actually doesn't sound so bad. You're boned as soon as Chrysalids show up though. Heh.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: October 29, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

Man even on impossible, the way to kill a beserker EASY... alloy cannon, move at 5 squarre away, double shot him, as soon he move you shoot again... combine with another assault for bonus reaction shot....

Terror mission? No worry!! send a bunch of assault with close and personal skill ( the reaction shot one ). and BRING THE CHRYSALID!!!! ( thats if you can one shoot them) or keep 2 assault close :D. Make sure they have high aim tho.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: October 29, 2012, 10:56:14 pm »

And then came Apocalypse, with a whole new brand of advanced technology - Devastator Cannons, Vortex Mines, shields, and even teleporters. Humanity had reliable access to Elerium by then; it just wasn't nearly as cutting-edge as it had been a century before.

It was still pretty damn good though. Hoverbikes with Lineage Cannons (big Elerium gun) were damned dangerous. The fact is that there weren't that many elerium weapons, just the plasma pistol iirc for ground combat, lord knows a plasma rifle or heavy plasma would have been pretty useful over the "rifle" (with the accuracy it had it seemed more like smooth-bore).

The aliens in Apos were odd.
They based heavily on biotech but most of their ship component were mechanical (especially the weapons).
And their invading parties were basically on suicide missions since they would suffocate or something after about 48 hours.
Of course there was more to it than just sending redshirt creatures there.

Apoc development was cut short and there was many more features to be added (like meaningfull diplomacy corporate agendas ETC).

As for the weapons... we have no real means of comparing the plasma pistol from apoc with the heavy plasma from the first game.
The apoc pistol might just be a stronger AND miniaturized version of heavy plasma... armors and building materials were likely upgraded as well so while a plasma bolt could go through a concrete wall in the first UFO i might have problems with walls made out of advanced alien alloys in that marsec munitions factory.
Same as the Apoc rocket launcher might just be a dumbed down version of the old blaster launcher made less effective due to better building materials..
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: October 30, 2012, 12:25:43 am »

Considering how many Second Wave options you have active, and the fact that you were on a Terror Mission, that actually doesn't sound so bad. You're boned as soon as Chrysalids show up though. Heh.
Yeah, that game? It's over. Total party wipe (myself included).  Assaulting the alien base. Rushed to plasma and skeleton suits. Everything was going according to plan, until the room with the food tanks and surgeries (the big open room.) Triggered 2 groups of chryssalids and a group of floaters at the same time. Everybody's dead, Dave.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4685 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:03 am »

Just ran into a bug I haven't seen before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"So our only way to evac is to go through the entire enemy force?"
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: October 30, 2012, 07:55:26 am »

"Major, I believe the enemy has surrounded us."

"Good.  We have them right where we want them."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

Isn't red fog still broken? Last I checked, instead of decreasing your soldiers abilities when they were wounded, it simply gave them the max possible debuff to start and left it at that.

Maybe that's what you wanted, of course... :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:35 am »

Yeah, Red Fog just gives your guys a permanent -15% chance to hit. I guess that's sort of an extra hard challenge mode?

I actually lost a Terror mission against Chryssalids this morning. First Terror mission of a new campaign, and I went in feeling pretty good. I already had a Lieutenant Sniper, Sergeant Support, and had two Corporals with me. Heavy and Assault. The Assault and Support had laser rifles.

So, of course I get a nice huge Government building where my squad sight sniper is pretty much useless. I figure I can sort of make it work by using his pistol since he has gunslinger.

Well...the game decided to be evil. First Alien turn and Two groups of Floaters and a Chryssalid pack show up. I take out one Chryssalid, but the other scampered off to somewhere in the building I can't see.

The Floaters keep me pinned down for a while. They didn't hurt us, but they tied us up long enough for the Chryssalid to start making zombies. I was then tied up with a never ending wave of zombies while that bastard ran around making more. I even got to shoot him once, but he didn't die.

In the end it was just too much. A zombie came around a corner and one-shotted by Heavy early on, and he was my best chance against this situation with bullet swarm. With him gone, it was a lost cause. I just didn't know it yet. I'm slowly pushed back into a corner, well away from the Evac zone, with zombies and Chryssalids swarming everywhere. We took out 12 of the bastards, but they just keep coming in waves. And zombies can soak way too much punishment with Damage roulette on. Didn't help that my assault missed a 90% shot early on that might have let me turn the tide.

*sigh*

Still, it was interesting watching my guys get zombified. And I was amused that the Assault, the guy with the lowest Will by far, never panicked during that mission while my awesome sniper with a high will did.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: October 30, 2012, 01:10:57 pm »

"So our only way to evac is to go through the entire enemy force?"
Panicking Rookie: "I WANNA GO HOME!"

Commander: "Kill all the aliens first, then you can go home."
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: October 30, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »

A Patch Update thread has been posted on the 2K forums.

Sounds like some of the bigger bugs are being fixed, so that's good news.

Major Fixes
• Abductor roof visibility problems resolved

• Interception game hang issues resolved
o If two interceptors are sent after UFO
o If Skyranger is returning from combat after an Interceptor was already deployed

• SHIV inaccessible issues resolved

• AI Alien Activity Hang resolution

• Multiplayer connectivity optimization

Other Fixes
• TempleShip optimization: All Soldiers properly spawn when restarting the mission after clearing the second room of TempleShip

• Snapshot penalty should no longer apply when Overwatching without first moving.

• Easy Difficulty is now easier.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: October 30, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

A Patch Update thread has been posted on the 2K forums.

Sounds like some of the bigger bugs are being fixed, so that's good news.

Major Fixes
• Abductor roof visibility problems resolved

• Interception game hang issues resolved
o If two interceptors are sent after UFO
o If Skyranger is returning from combat after an Interceptor was already deployed

• SHIV inaccessible issues resolved

• AI Alien Activity Hang resolution

• Multiplayer connectivity optimization

Other Fixes
• TempleShip optimization: All Soldiers properly spawn when restarting the mission after clearing the second room of TempleShip

• Snapshot penalty should no longer apply when Overwatching without first moving.

• Easy Difficulty is now easier.
I dont want to be negative or anything but i really need to express this..... All this time just for that? Ok..... that is some kickass skill in patching....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: October 30, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »

Knowing how programming works from experience, some of those bugs were probably really hard to track down and fix.
Come play Mafia with us!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: October 30, 2012, 03:07:14 pm »

Yeah maybe... i guess i just dont know what i was expecting or was expecting too much from them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: October 30, 2012, 03:10:15 pm »

Yeah maybe... i guess i just dont know what i was expecting or was expecting too much from them.

Generally speaking, any bugs that aren't fixed in the first Patch are ones that are either very difficult to fix or ones that are difficult for the devs to replicate for some reason. Often that comes down to system issues when some players have the bug and most don't. I imagine that trying to fix some of the bugs across platforms is also challenging.

What I'm saying is that any patches past the first should be expected to either take quite some time or only include a few fixes at a time.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 625