Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959751 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4515 on: October 25, 2012, 10:16:19 pm »

In classic or above, most of your dudes are unlikely to have 9 life when they start showing up.

Well let me see... I'd have 6 + 2 + 2 = 10

I'd have 10 health by the time they start showing up. :P

Mind you I didn't intentionally tank. Just that for some reason it hit inspite of my smoke grenade.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:50 pm »

How are you starting with a 6 there? Soldiers don't start with 6 health.

And not every soldier in the squad is going to have 2 ranks by that point either (especially since you'll be wanting to bring rookies and squaddies in every mission to train them up)

The only problem I've ever had with outsiders is /not/ killing them. They tend to spawn and run into overwatch and die before I can respond.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:22:44 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:36 pm »

How are you starting with a 6 there? Soldiers don't start with 6 health.

And not every soldier in the squad is going to have 2 ranks by that point either (especially since you'll be wanting to bring rookies and squaddies in every mission to train them up)

What are you doing running your rookies up?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »

That is what they are for, obviously. I'm not going to be eating crits and will penalties with people I've actually invested in if I don't have to.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »

Soldiers start with 4 HP base in Classic.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »

The higher difficulty levels on this just remind of the Civ approach to difficulty. At higher levels, the computer cheats. I think "Classic X-Com difficulty" is more like TFTD, whereas Normal is supposed to be more like UFO Defense. After a while, you don't really play more intelligently, you just learn to play with AI exploits and start camping/grinding.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: October 26, 2012, 12:11:41 am »

Where does this cheating come in? If it's just the obscene firing accuracy, I'll point out that in XCOM '94, raising the difficulty from Beginner to Experienced more than doubled the aliens' already excellent aim.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: October 26, 2012, 12:47:40 am »

Holy hell. I just found the worst bug ever. So, I go to the mission control room. All my aircraft (including the skyranger) are just hovering over their respective bases; on all continents. Hangars register as empty of all interceptors. Go to the barracks. All soliders listed as they should be. Go to start an abduction mission. Suddenly, all soldiers are listen as 'On mission' and I am told we have no soldiers available for the mission. Well shit.

Rebooting the game seems to fix it (or at least, it does when loaded from a previous save; dunno about after the bug occurs)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:46 am »

"Your Skyranger pilots have signed a secret pact with the invasion force."
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: October 26, 2012, 01:52:13 am »

Holy hell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah. 3 Colonels, 1 Major, and 2 Squadies down in the same mission. Was fighting 2 mutons and a berserker; triggered 3 sectoid commanders. By the next turn, 3 of my 6 were mind controlled. 2 more turns, 4 of 6 were down; a couple more, and total party wipe.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: October 26, 2012, 03:06:58 am »

Oof, that hurts.

Hopefully you can recover from that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4526 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:25 am »

Holy cow!

That's another big push for me never revealing any new territory if there are any aliens around. That way you can do one group of aliens at a time, rest one turn (at least) between groups to reload and get Double Tap activated again, and you're done.

My current 2 sniper colonels are absolutely kicking ass. Plasma sniper rifles, high terrain, double-tap. That's pretty much 4 enemies of 10 health dead per turn, or thereabouts.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:46 am »

Admittedly, I've had situations where no new territory was revealed and yet I triggered two new groups of enemies. At least when it happens on the alien turn, they end up only taking defensive actions instead of doing that and THEN blowing you up. Still sucks, though.

At higher levels, the computer cheats.
I... haven't actually seen any difficulty cheating by the computer in x-com. It's one of the things I'm fairly happy about. Obviously, the teleportation and wall shooting bugs could count. But those are just as common on every difficulty. How does the computer cheat?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4528 on: October 26, 2012, 07:23:47 am »

Yeah aliens do move around the map on their own in pretty much every mission. Even if you are super careful you could end up with new enemies.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: October 26, 2012, 07:44:01 am »

At higher levels, the computer cheats.
I... haven't actually seen any difficulty cheating by the computer in x-com.

Excluding some bugs, I haven't seen glamorous cheating either. Except for the free turn alien gets, which is very annoying when they are chrisalid (others just seek cover).

but it does look like you miss more often on classic. but I can't really say, as numbers are runt hidden. If that was the case, well, I would have preferred a % malus shown on the shoot info instead that having the hidden number skewed, but there currently is no evidence either way.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 625