Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960040 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4425 on: October 24, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »

No, I meant actual physical representations of the items you've built.
??? In the background ???

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: October 24, 2012, 11:05:37 pm »

I finally got to play this. 

I would like to say, first this: This game is great, but the abduction ship is annoying.

Secondly, fuck Cryssalids.

Third, I've only lost one soldier, to an outsider because I took an idiot chance and still had shitty armor. Later though, on the abduction ship, I pulled off something... Awesome. See, both my Colonel rank heavies were heavily wounded by some Mutons on a little catwalk with two open spaces next to them. My assault was at the end of the catwalk behind cover, and across from him was my medic. Both of them were mildly injured. My main heavy, the guy from the tutorial mission, was near death and in half cover, the obvious target for the aliens next turn.

Earlier in the mission, my sniper had glitched out, switching her pistol for her sniper rifle incessantly, then not being able to use any skills whatsoever. I ran her outside so she would get ganked, and she was sitting there, full health but useless. Well, not useless. To save my heavy, I ran her up, right next to him, and left her out of cover. Just standing there, facing down three mutons. I had my badass Assault guy kill on muton with his scatter laser, and the medic injured the other.

Alien Activity.
Both mutons fire on the glitched sniper. She 'only' has ten health, compared to 14+ for everyone else. But she takes both muton's fire, and lives. My turn comes, and the injured heavy fires his rocket launcher at the surviving mutons.
None of my men died. Several (Read: ALL) were remanded to the Medbay for several days, but I'd been needing to train up some backup rookies anyway.
Good times.

Also, fuck Cryssalids. Seriously.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:39 pm »

One thing you've got to thank Cryssalids for, though, is the nice +4HP -50% melee damage item they give. It's pretty significant until the very late game when you get Titan armor.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »

One thing you've got to thank Cryssalids for, though, is the nice +4HP -50% melee damage item they give. It's pretty significant until the very late game when you get Titan armor.

Which you ONLY need for other Cryssalids.

It is actually a funny thing. Some of the most useful items in the game are available after they would have been helpful.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: October 24, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

It is actually a funny thing. Some of the most useful items in the game are available after they would have been helpful.

Like the skeleton suit. "Oh hey, this would have been perfect four missions ago! But now it's pretty much defunct because my dudes are so face-eatingly badass than nothing short of sectopods can stand against them in open firefights."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: October 24, 2012, 11:23:14 pm »

Actually, the 4HP is pretty useful any time if you need more health.

And the -50% melee damage is also useful for Beserkers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:25:53 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

I didn't know you could even survive Beserkers. I thought they just outright killed you.

Oddly enough their "Run forward whenever they are attacked" ability is more of a weakness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: October 24, 2012, 11:26:16 pm »

And lo, the aliens deployed their Muton Berserkers, and Man said, "This is why rocket launchers were invented."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: October 24, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »

And lo, the aliens deployed their Muton Berserkers, and Man said, "This is why rocket launchers were invented."

And then another man said "Too bad we don't have any."

It is still weird to me that the "Rocket Launcher" doesn't feel like it does its job. It does "a" job, but not that job.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »

It is still weird to me that the "Rocket Launcher" doesn't feel like it does its job. It does "a" job, but not that job.

When you get right down to it, six damage is kinda piddly damage when you really need it.  The rocket launcher is basically good for softening up a group of enemies, denying them cover, and the situational but still very common situation of a Cyberdisk being shadowed by a Drone.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »

It just sort of transforms the rocket from anti-vehicle weaponry into anti-infantry.

In otherwords its a Fragmentation Rocket.

Does the Robot damage boost stack with the rocket? because that would be 12 damage (possibly 16, but I cannot remember what ability to sacrifice for robot smashing)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: October 24, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »

It just sort of transforms the rocket from anti-vehicle weaponry into anti-infantry.

In otherwords its a Fragmentation Rocket.

Does the Robot damage boost stack with the rocket? because that would be 12 damage (possibly 16, but I cannot remember what ability to sacrifice for robot smashing)
Yes, it does.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »

I didn't know you could even survive Beserkers. I thought they just outright killed you.
According to UFOpedia they do 10 damage.

And I had a Heavy 'survive' one. I'm not sure if he got critically wounded or if he continued standing, but he didn't die.

When you get right down to it, six damage is kinda piddly damage when you really need it.  The rocket launcher is basically good for softening up a group of enemies, denying them cover, and the situational but still very common situation of a Cyberdisk being shadowed by a Drone.
Yeah, Rocket Launchers are really pitiful late game. Woo, 6 damage. Too bad your enemies have 2+ bars of health.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:01 pm »

This is what I get for playing on normal, where the rocket launcher realistically kills pretty much anything you aim it at but Cryssalids, so far. Typically, if I whip out the rocket launchers, it's because there's a swarm of sectoids and thin men/floaters all grouped up, nice and pretty like. I generally prefer MOAR DAKKA for Cryssalids. That and my Assault guy. He's so badass, he fought three Cryssalids in what amounted to claw to shotgun combat and not only lived, he killed one in overwatch, then another with his turn. The last one I tried to stun, but sadly it wouldn't let me.
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: October 24, 2012, 11:40:24 pm »

Once again the Rocket Launcher probably suffers from "We had ideas but we didn't do it"

For example I think the Rocket Launcher gets only one upgrade in the game (and I may be wrong on it because I never used that weapon)

Just like how Outsiders disapear.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 625