Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960116 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4350 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

cant tell if this is some new armors in game "outfit your soldiers with specialized armor upgrades including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits" or just bullshit to make more money by making people pay £4 just to change colour of their soldiers Armour.

EDIT: Bullshit to make more money, I thought you could turn this on in the settings anyway?

I think you could only turn SOME of it on by editing some values in the game's raws.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

Interesting direction they're taking there with the dlc
It's FEF, not FEOF

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: October 23, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

The next DLC has been announced.

Not sure how excited I am about it. More council missions is pretty cool, but I think it'll depend on the cost as to whether I get it or not. I'd have been more interested in a new set of maps or an accents/language pack.
Am i the only onw seeing a moneygrab trend here? They said they would support modding, at least Jake said that, and from what they are saying in that it more of a... well not yet and once we are done with DLC MAYBE we will open up.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:56 pm »

Blergh... I don't want to pay money for 3 rigid missions or a weapon we already have. This is the same tier of DLC as horse armour in my eyes.

I don't mind unlocking the blaster launcher earlier (when I researched it I only ever got to use it on the final level because of how far down the tech tree it is). But this is still a bit greedy. Maybe if it was like $0.50 or something. :P

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: October 23, 2012, 04:41:46 pm »

"If we add new weapons and new tech, then we're expanding the tech tree, and that adds research time – and that's on a fairly finely balanced pinpoint right now." XCOM, he says, is unforgiving of players that fall behind in research, and adding even more options to the existing tech tree could be problematic.

Really?  I'm paused partway on my Classic run, waiting for bugfixes (cleared the base), and research seems about appropriate.  On my Normal run though, I had 2 labs, and a lot of scientists doing absolutely nothing for the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the game.

Besides, they could add new tech by simply giving it to you - no need to research, just "here are the schematics, go build & have fun".  Which I half thought they  might do in some way, as a possible added benefit to all of those purchase requests you get.  You know, American bio-tech company wants 6 Sectoid corpses - 3 months later, they give you the plans for a targeting interface that boosts all of your soldiers Aim by 5, or something.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »

Yeah, research time hasn't been much of a bottleneck for me. Even without getting research credits a few Labs and some reward Scientists is more than enough to get through all the research in the game. Personally, I'd prefer it if you couldn't research everything in the game during a normal playthrough. Having alternate branches to go down would be fun and add a lot of replayablility as long as the branches were suitably different.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: October 23, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »

The next DLC has been announced.

Not sure how excited I am about it. More council missions is pretty cool, but I think it'll depend on the cost as to whether I get it or not. I'd have been more interested in a new set of maps or an accents/language pack.

Yeah I have to admit this feels more like a step to the side then a step forward.

It doesn't really improve or hurt the game... it is just... there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: October 23, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

That could be cool.  Maybe one branch focuses on more traditional firepower with strong armor and weapons, maybe larger squads.  Another one could be more about small squads with stealth and high-skill tactics.  Maybe a mechanized/support option with more stuff for SHIVs and drones, and off-map support.

I won't be getting the DLC unless they add something incredible they haven't mentioned yet.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »

Oh, yeah, off-map artillery or airstrikes would be pretty awesome to call in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »

No that is pretty much it... Ohh that and it is what I call a "Cheat Expansion" except in this case a "Cheat DLC"

It unlocks end game material early in the game.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »

Would have been better without that grenade launcher unlock. And I dislike these mini-story-arc addons, they tend to feel tacked on and poorly fitted to the rest of the game. I'd prefer a wider selection of generic missions.

XCOM isn't a good fit for DLC, it's got a very tight balance. More mission and map variety, and perhaps unique soldiers are the only real paths I can see them going.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: October 23, 2012, 05:18:55 pm »

Multiplayer expansion.

Perhaps different game-modes? (point based skirmish-mode that is simply one mission after another without the global component, or an "invasion" mode that gives you a map and a number of points to spend on soldiers and you need to hold off a number of enemy waves as they come onto the map from random edges. Stuff to cater to those who enjoy the battles but not the global game.)

Improved customization or armor and characters - which is actually surprisingly lacking in meaningful ways at the moment, especially in regards to hair-styles. The ability to choose different body types, for example, would be wonderful.

Perhaps a series of "side-stories" - Play a series of battles as the local defense forces in one of the abduction sites that x-com didn't get to, just trying to escape and survive against seemingly insurmountable odds or hold off the enemies as long as possible. You could even have some of these as the aliens, since you can already use them in multiplayer.

Implemented (and expanded) second wave options - marathon mode would mean they could add a number of additional late game techs without it being too big a deal.

There's a number of interesting things they could do with DLC.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: October 23, 2012, 05:21:10 pm »

I just hope this DLC isn't a sign that they are doing what The Sims does with their expansion

In that if you collect all the "Expansions"/"DLC" you effectively break the game.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: October 23, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

Man I hope they release the customization pre-order bonus as DLC.  I couln't afford X-COM until after it came out, and I'm a sucker for customization.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:27 pm »

Man I hope they release the customization pre-order bonus as DLC.  I couln't afford X-COM until after it came out, and I'm a sucker for customization.

They already did, and it's something like $5 right now on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 625