Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960153 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4335 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:01 am »

Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed

Unless you've made a typo, that's how it normally is. Everything else seems awesome though.

Huh, could have sworn it was higher than that. Maybe on my first game I only stunned aliens who were hurt worse than that.

In any case, it's been pretty interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4336 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:00 am »

Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed

Unless you've made a typo, that's how it normally is. Everything else seems awesome though.

Huh, could have sworn it was higher than that. Maybe on my first game I only stunned aliens who were hurt worse than that.

In any case, it's been pretty interesting.
Its higher once you have the improved stunner...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:09 pm »

Did some modding last night and started up a new Classic Ironman campaign. Well...I started up two, but then realized that one of the Second Wave options is bugged and had to start over.

So I'm playing with the following changes:

Rifles can be used by any class.
Shotguns can be used by Rookies, Assaults, and Supports
Abduction and Terror UFOs should show up (haven't seen any yet, but then I only just put up my second Satellite)
Panicked units will only shoot 40% of the time instead of 50%. This will cut down on the friendly fire a little bit, although it also cuts down on the panic-kill of aliens.
Second Wave options have been enabled.

I'm running with these options enabled:
    Damage Roulette
    Not Created Equally
    Hidden potential
    High Stakes

The Second Wave options have a pretty huge impact on the game.

Damage Roulette has a surprisingly large effect. It basically drops the Minimum of all weapons down. This means that everything has a very high uncertainty. Grenades often only do 2 damage instead of 3, Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed, and you can lose a mission when your Heavy shoots the overcharging Scectoid for only 2 damage instead of killing it. Goes both ways, of course, since I've had plenty of alien shots hit for only 1 or 2 damage. Combat is a lot more tense when you can't actually rely on a hit taking out an enemy that has more that 1 hit point left.

Which reminds me, I was going to turn off enemy health. I'll have to do that.

Not Created Equally is interesting. I have one recruit with 56 Will and 80 Aim, and another with 24 Will and 48 Aim. You really have to pay attention to the stats of the people you bring along now. I imagine Hidden Potential will simply continue that trend.

High Stakes also has a pretty big impact. Since the rewards from doing missions are randomized a bit it can really impact the decisions you make. I haven't accepted a single Engineer reward mission on my current game, since they've all been 2 Engineers compared to the normal 4. The other rewards have been higher than normal, so I went with those. That is a bit problematic, though, since I can't build workshops yet since I don't have enough engineers. Not that it'd have mattered if I had taken the engineer missions since I lost the second Abduction mission because my guys couldn't actually kill anything when I needed them to.

Overall...it's a bit harder and feels more like a simulation than a boardgame. I do like being able to give rookies shotguns and my squaddie snipers rifles. It's been fun!

Oh, and avoid the Red Haze second wave option. It's bugged so that every units starts with a 15% aim penalty due to 'battlefield fatigue'. I routinely had shots against Sectoids in High Cover have only a 1% chance to hit. It was...brutal.

That sounds awesome actually.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:36 pm »

Abduction and Terror UFOs should show up (haven't seen any yet, but then I only just put up my second Satellite)

That could be a problem; I worry they may not have maps for those.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: October 23, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »

I have seen landed UFO's with the mission "Capture Life Subjects", so who knows.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:02 pm »

I've seen "Abductor"-class UFOs land before.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »

It's a more low-impact mod than most others out there. But if people are interested I could probably see about getting up for people to download.

The only other change that I'll probably do is fix the recruit HP bug so that they have the right number of hit points based on the difficulty.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »

That would be a VERY tough game to play to be honest and a even harder one to make
How do you make Plasma "better" for example.
It can burn through walls and armor. Has a larger hit box than a bullet and thus a higher chance to hit. More serious injuries for those who are wounded instead of killed, and a higher likelihood of a single projectile killing. You know, the usual.

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPf_h0pLzU
We... must be thinking of different games. I only just realized there were a wide variety of raindow six games, and that looks nothing like the ones I remember enjoying.

Potentially fun though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: October 23, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »

Abductor class UFOs can indeed land.  I've only seen one but as I remember it was fucked up.

Spoiler: Lay of the land (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »

I had the same except with deer, not cows.

EDIT: Just noticed this on Steam. People who didn't pre-order now have the chance to get the elite soldier pack.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:00:52 pm by SP2 »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »

cant tell if this is some new armors in game "outfit your soldiers with specialized armor upgrades including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits" or just bullshit to make more money by making people pay £4 just to change colour of their soldiers Armour.

EDIT: Bullshit to make more money, I thought you could turn this on in the settings anyway?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:09:20 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: October 23, 2012, 01:11:53 pm »

Did some modding last night and started up a new Classic Ironman campaign. Well...I started up two, but then realized that one of the Second Wave options is bugged and had to start over.

So I'm playing with the following changes:

Rifles can be used by any class.
Shotguns can be used by Rookies, Assaults, and Supports
Panicked units will only shoot 40% of the time instead of 50%. This will cut down on the friendly fire a little bit, although it also cuts down on the panic-kill of aliens.
Second Wave options have been enabled.

I'm running with these options enabled:
    Damage Roulette
    Not Created Equally
    Hidden potential
    High Stakes

The Second Wave options have a pretty huge impact on the game.

Damage Roulette has a surprisingly large effect. It basically drops the Minimum of all weapons down. This means that everything has a very high uncertainty. Grenades often only do 2 damage instead of 3, Stunning an Alien with 3 health has only a 70% chance to succeed, and you can lose a mission when your Heavy shoots the overcharging Scectoid for only 2 damage instead of killing it. Goes both ways, of course, since I've had plenty of alien shots hit for only 1 or 2 damage. Combat is a lot more tense when you can't actually rely on a hit taking out an enemy that has more that 1 hit point left.

Which reminds me, I was going to turn off enemy health. I'll have to do that.

Not Created Equally is interesting. I have one recruit with 56 Will and 80 Aim, and another with 24 Will and 48 Aim. You really have to pay attention to the stats of the people you bring along now. I imagine Hidden Potential will simply continue that trend.

High Stakes also has a pretty big impact. Since the rewards from doing missions are randomized a bit it can really impact the decisions you make. I haven't accepted a single Engineer reward mission on my current game, since they've all been 2 Engineers compared to the normal 4. The other rewards have been higher than normal, so I went with those. That is a bit problematic, though, since I can't build workshops yet since I don't have enough engineers. Not that it'd have mattered if I had taken the engineer missions since I lost the second Abduction mission because my guys couldn't actually kill anything when I needed them to.

Overall...it's a bit harder and feels more like a simulation than a boardgame. I do like being able to give rookies shotguns and my squaddie snipers rifles. It's been fun!

Oh, and avoid the Red Haze second wave option. It's bugged so that every units starts with a 15% aim penalty due to 'battlefield fatigue'. I routinely had shots against Sectoids in High Cover have only a 1% chance to hit. It was...brutal.

One of the bugged options is Marathon, due to needing two of a certain item you can only get one of. People have actually found a fix, you just change a number in one of the configs, build the thing, and then change it back.

I am currently playing with most of the second wave options available, and it is killer. I have three sats up, and to build another will cost me about one grand, it is stupid expensive. I have the option that makes sats more expensive the more you have, but this seems a bit extreme. I am hoping marathon makes things more expensive as well.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »

The next DLC has been announced.

Not sure how excited I am about it. More council missions is pretty cool, but I think it'll depend on the cost as to whether I get it or not. I'd have been more interested in a new set of maps or an accents/language pack.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:54 pm »

Wait, there are blaster launchers in EU?
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: October 23, 2012, 03:57:13 pm »

Wait, there are blaster launchers in EU?

Yeah, but you can only get them if you take down a Battleship.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 625