Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960288 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4110 on: October 20, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

I also noticed a lot of people hit that "weapon parts" bottleneck when they realize they can capture every single alien with pistols or light rifles and attempt to do so. Seriously, don't do that. KILL the mofos. You will only ever need 6 rifles total at once, and maybe a plasma pistol for each sniper if you give them gunslinger, but that's about it. (and something for your heavies too I guess)

You should be able to disassemble guns into fragments :P

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: October 20, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

I also noticed a lot of people hit that "weapon parts" bottleneck when they realize they can capture every single alien with pistols or light rifles and attempt to do so. Seriously, don't do that. KILL the mofos. You will only ever need 6 rifles total at once, and maybe a plasma pistol for each sniper if you give them gunslinger, but that's about it. (and something for your heavies too I guess)

Yep, that would be amazingly helpful.  Even without capturing many people I still don't have enough fragments simply cause my research is going insanely quickly.  (80 some scientists when I fuled out the tree)
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: October 20, 2012, 03:28:03 pm »

Actually there is a reason you would want to capture a lot of aliens.

Namely WAY later nations will ask for your Plasma weaponry... and are willing to pay out the butt for them. (expect upwards of 800+ credits)

Also don't bother with the "Drone capture". It isn't really worth it and you don't keep the drone. Shame too. Mind you it hints at another "unfinished feature". I fully suspect it was originally going to have a whole robot enemy tree where you could upgrade your Shiv even further.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:30:14 pm by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: October 20, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »

Actually there is a reason you would want to capture a lot of aliens.

Namely WAY later nations will ask for your Plasma weaponry... and are willing to pay out the butt for them. (expect upwards of 800+ credits)

Also don't bother with the "Drone capture". It isn't really worth it and you don't keep the drone. Shame too. Mind you it hints at another "unfinished feature". I fully suspect it was originally going to have a whole robot enemy tree where you could upgrade your Shiv even further.

That's actually nice, but at that point you probably can get away with crafting the weapons and sending them.

I've played a full game, winning as soon as possible (not waiting for battleships, but finishing all research) and never got that request. In my latest game, I'm just passing time in the Globescape after I pwned the aliens (playing on normal), and it only has come up twice and both times I just gave away all my equipped weapons and got new ones with the extra cash. I wasn't exactly swimming in Elerium but had no reason to hoard it either.

(Obviously, what I want to say isn't "don't capture aliens ever", but "don't capture aliens wily nilly when there's Science To Do).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:43:47 pm by Sergius »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: October 20, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »

I got a request for 3200 credits for 8 plasma rifles once (rifles, not the light type). Actually lost the game trying to fulfill that request.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: October 20, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »

I got a request for 3200 credits for 8 plasma rifles once (rifles, not the light type). Actually lost the game trying to fulfill that request.

I always stun 1-2 aliens on every mission. Hense why I always have a stockpile.

Though OUCH Muz.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: October 20, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »

Gods, I'm never, ever, using an Irish sniper again. I swear this guy was drunk on every mission, he kept missing high-percentage shots, and hitting a shot near 50% didn't happen to him once.

I just can't seem to get past the first terror mission on classic ironman, a streak that began with me getting chryssalids spawned on a rooftop with five or so civilians. That was a bitch and a half, let me tell you.

Latest failure (just now) was when the whole team got low-damage shots against a close zombie, who managed to survive with 1 HP. Fine, I thought, I had a backup for that, a support close by. Good, 76% chance to hit, that's fine. Nope, miss, zombie kills assault guy in carapace armour nearby. Same turn, another zombie hatches chryssalid just barely within attack distance of my support, she goes down instantly. Everything goes downhill from there, everyone's either panicked or out of ammo, except the aforementioned Irish sniper, who botches yet another 75%+ shot against the chryssalid that hatched (with full HP) from the 1 HP zombie.

Sorry about that, just had to vent a bit. Classic ironman terror missions seems to be cursed for me.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: October 20, 2012, 05:03:40 pm »

Classic to me seems to include a lot of "Do everything right, but you will still miss aliens in half cover and the aliens will still crit you behind full cover every time." Maybe I just need to be either taking 70%+ shots, or stay the hell out of line of sight altogether.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: October 20, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

Yeah.  Umiman mentioned it describing his win, and from what I've seen he's right.  If there's a 40% or greater chance that an alien will be able to shoot at one of your guys next turn, hunker down or get out of LOS.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »

Yeah.  Umiman mentioned it describing his win, and from what I've seen he's right.  If there's a 40% or greater chance that an alien will be able to shoot at one of your guys next turn, hunker down or get out of LOS.

And whatever you do, if the enemy has anything with an area attack, don't let them get close to each other because by God they will use it.

But yeah, Classic is totes unfair yo.  I've lost count of the number of times +75% shots go wide only for a Thin Man on the other side of the map to OHK a guy in full cover.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: October 20, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »

Thin Men use those super-accurate light plasma rifles. They might not have as much power, but if my Assault is anything to go by they can easily get near-100% hit chances with decent crit chances. Against early-game soldiers, that's all they need.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: October 20, 2012, 06:50:37 pm »

Yeah, those things are deadly. Same damage as a laser rifle (up to 5) and +10 aim.

Once I got them myself on my first playthrough and saw their aim bonus, I understood why thin men were so strangely accurate.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »

So this might've been something someone else mentioned in the 30ish 50-post pages since the game came out, but...  I used to think "man, getting a soldier as a reward is lame, I'd rather have money, I have enough Majors as it is".

Turns out that they are actually sending you REAL elites.  They gave me a Major sniper with 100 will.  Obviously, she turned out to be psi capable.  I am pleased.

...Speaking of psi.  Soldiers get more willpower as they level up.  Is it therefore better to wait for soldiers to level up before you test them, for a higher chance of them having "The Gift"?  Or is the gift determined earlier, and connected with their base will?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: October 20, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »

The gift is determined when the character is generated- and determined (or rather indicated) by the rate at which they gain will. So if they have a higher than than other people of a similar rank, that's a good indicator.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: October 20, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

The gift is determined when the character is generated- and determined (or rather indicated) by the rate at which they gain will. So if they have a higher than than other people of a similar rank, that's a good indicator.

It should be noted that going into critical also throws that off, since they tend to lose good chunks of will from the whole "nearly dead" thing.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 625