Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960524 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3735 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:07 am »

funny you insist that it is a flat map (which is essentially true) because a whole range of bugs come from soldiers being a pixel higher than the floor (on stairs, ramps, whatever)

Ohh holy goodness have I had nightmares of needing to fight in rooms with slight elevations. I even was able to see through a UFO wall because of that mess.

"DANG IT just move RIGHT THERE! Why are you pathing ontop of the UFO? NO! just behind that counter... AAAAAAAAH!"

Also I find it funny that civilians are also parkour masters. In fact one jumped down an entire appartment building.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: October 16, 2012, 07:46:07 am »

That's the problem - there are a lot of bugs.  Not too many that are majorly game-breaking, but a lot that detract from the fun.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 16, 2012, 07:49:47 am »

That's the problem - there are a lot of bugs.  Not too many that are majorly game-breaking, but a lot that detract from the fun.

to be fair, most of  bugs are one off that can be resolved by restoring a previous save; which points precisely at square one, when I was saying that classic/ironman is currently an exercise in frustration, and not because of difficulty.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:39 am »

Does anyone know if you keep the bonuses that you have unlocked through the officer training school if you demolish it once you have unlocked them all?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 16, 2012, 08:14:20 am »

Ohh holy goodness have I had nightmares of needing to fight in rooms with slight elevations. I even was able to see through a UFO wall because of that mess.

"DANG IT just move RIGHT THERE! Why are you pathing ontop of the UFO? NO! just behind that counter... AAAAAAAAH!"

This was the most annoying part of the game for me, the user should never, ever, have to fight against the UI.
I was forever rotating and moving up and down to try and select the square I wanted.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: October 16, 2012, 08:35:04 am »

Does anybody know what weapon the Hover SHIVs use? I've already researched the SHIV plasma variant, but they haven't automatically equipped it, or the minigun/laser SHIV weapons either. Seeing as I almost encountered a total SHIV-Wipe due to four berserkers spawning at once, I'm kinda understaffed except for those hover SHIVs. Please tell me that I haven't encountered some kind of stupid bug.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3741 on: October 16, 2012, 08:39:14 am »

Does anybody know what weapon the Hover SHIVs use? I've already researched the SHIV plasma variant, but they haven't automatically equipped it, or the minigun/laser SHIV weapons either. Seeing as I almost encountered a total SHIV-Wipe due to four berserkers spawning at once, I'm kinda understaffed except for those hover SHIVs. Please tell me that I haven't encountered some kind of stupid bug.

Did you already have the shiv's produced before you researched the plasma upgrade? I'm not entirely sure that they always upgrade to the new weapons.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41:29 am »

Overwatch is a potential free attack, at a penalty but potentially against a target out of cover. It's kind of hard to overstate how valuable that is, especially if you're comparing it to an option that only does anything if you're being shot at.

Never seen a soldier blow up useful cover that an enemy wasn't hiding behind. Curious what kind of bizarre angles or aggressive tactics you'd have to be using for that to ever be an issue.

= = full wall
- = half wall
00 = door
a = Alien
X = XCOM

aa.....aa
==00==
X

-------
X....X...X

alien pops through door, bottom row of XCOM on overwatch fires and miss and blow up == leading too

a.........aa
-....a...==
X

--------
X..X...X

top X then dead and aliens get easy kill.

Overwatch I use until I get lasers, then its very risky on misses.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:05:05 am by Sharp »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: October 16, 2012, 08:54:49 am »

Did you already have the shiv's produced before you researched the plasma upgrade? I'm not entirely sure that they always upgrade to the new weapons.

I researched the plasma upgrade before the SHIVs were produced, and the rest of my SHIVs all have plasma weapons now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:30 am »

Did you guys get X-COM: X-TRA Shitty Edition or something?  I've only had a couple bugs, nothing gamebreaking, and the UI's pretty easy.  Then again I'm using a gamepad.
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:04 am »

it help if you play the game with the eyes open  :P

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:19 am »

I once had an alloy SHIV which had no weapon. All it could do was drive around and draw enemy fire. >_<

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:52 am »

I've had precisely one game breaker, and I had just died, so it was no big deal to me anyway. Pretty much every game I play, I have to go in personally and take care of business. If I die? Game over. This last time, I got to the point where I was ready to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I shot down an Abductor class ship. Pretty much everyone on my roster was injured, so I took me, my field medic, and four n00bs. We got torn to pieces by Mutons and Berserkers.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:20 am »

I've never seen the shoot-through-walls bug.  What I have seen, three times, is aliens suddenly appear right in the middle of my troops.  Luckily their turn seems to go exactly like a discovery turn (when you reveal a group) - they simply do a half move to cover and its my turn again.  Its still heart attack inducing.

I've also had a few game freezes.  I can't alt-tab or switch windows, but after about 30 seconds the game stutters back into life.  It seems to be around the cutscenes (the instances that I can recall, the end-mission Skyranger flying off scene, and one of the aliens' "Curses, its those meddling kids again!" scenes)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: October 16, 2012, 09:51:43 am »

The only time I really notice the UI errors is in maps with lots of elevation problems. The ship which I assume to be the alien carrier that you encounter around what I think is the middle of the game is the worst when it comes to this. It's just a nightmare to click anywhere in that ship.
The "shoot through walls" big may also just be a common visual big that I encounter a lot.

Also, I've actually downloaded a mod which enables the Second Wave options. I choose Marathon (Longer game), Not created Equally (Rookies have random stats), High Stakes (Random Rewards), and Absolutely Critical (Flanking shots always 100% Crit) on Classic. So far, it seems that aliens don't realize that the last module is on, as they always run into situations in which said Flanking shots can happen. Not that I'm complaining, of course. :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 625