Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961172 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2760 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:24 pm »

All the countries hate me  :'(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »

How are Cryssalids anyway? Obviously, they aren't as magically fast and bullet resistant anymore.

They are weaker and stronger.

They are not as tough, but, have an even greater ability to snowball then before. I underestimated them and they killed my Squaddie in a single hit... and would have killed anyone on my team.

All the countries hate me 

Welcome to the club... It seems like they will pretty much hate you forever and you rely heavily on luck to make them not hate you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:20 pm »

And yet again I think I'm pretty much boned after the first Terror mission. Not immediately, but I'm pretty sure I'm now in a very steep uphill battle.

Does anyone else feel like the first Terror mission is a massive difficulty ramp up? Because I barely managed to beat a Very Difficult regular mission with one soldier remaining. With the first Terror mission, I didn't even kill a single enemy before I was down to one man and I had to abandon. Granted, the regular mission was with 5 skilled soldiers and the terror with 3 rookies and 2 skilled, but still.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:44:56 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »

And yet again I think I'm pretty much boned after the first Terror mission. Not immediately, but I'm pretty sure I'm now a very steep uphill battle.

Does anyone else feel like the first Terror mission is a massive difficulty ramp up? Because I barely managed to beat a Very Difficult regular mission with one soldier remaining. With the first Terror mission, I didn't even kill a single enemy before I was down to one man and I had to abandon. Granted, the regular mission was with 5 skilled soldiers and the terror with 3 rookies and 2 skilled, but still.

It sounds like Very Difficult means Very Difficult, which is always good. :D

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »

I was forced to skip my first terror mission due to a lack of fit soldiers. I'm in terrible shape due to only figuring out how to manage my funds a few months in
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:39 pm »

That is perfect.  That is Landon Patterson, the immutable essence of what it is to be a Canadian marksman named Landon Patterson.  I can hear his voice, how he would sound if he could talk, and I know you can too.

I can't take my eyes off his groin.  Why does that armor's skins have to have contrasting colors on the pants?

Enjoying the game so far, except for the scripted VIP mission.  Apparently, getting a VIP and your last living soldier to da choppah to escape does NOT count as a successful extraction if any aliens are left alive.  Thanks game.  Also had a game-breaking bug when a menu wigged out on me, but it hasn't happened again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:56 pm »

There's a pretty sharp curve difficulty level-wise.  Classic really is classic, you lose multiple soldiers every mission.  Normal is kind of a joke by comparison, I've only lost one guy I think.

@Aqizzar:  So you'll stare at his groin
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:10 pm »

There's a pretty sharp curve difficulty level-wise.  Classic really is classic, you lose multiple soldiers every mission.  Normal is kind of a joke by comparison, I've only lost one guy I think.

I really should have expected it, but somehow it didn't dawn on me until I saw the difficulty selection screen.  Whatever else you can say about Sid Meier and his company, if there's one thing they knows how to do it's make an unbeatable AI.  Usually by letting it cheat it's pants off, but twenty years of practice at making "Impossible" difficulty mean something really does shine through in an XCOM successor.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:18 pm »

And yet again I think I'm pretty much boned after the first Terror mission. Not immediately, but I'm pretty sure I'm now in a very steep uphill battle.

The First Terror mission is a difficulty ramp up.

After your first terror mission the difficulty spikes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

Big Alien Ship Site = open doors and find Chrysalids waiting on the other side.

FWIW, they do in the ballpark of 6 damage non-crit. With carapace armor and a few ranks, guys can survive at least one hit. Of course, that's cold comfort when there are 3 of them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 09, 2012, 10:13:51 pm »

I just had an intense battle in train yard.  I brought two mutons, a muton elite and a sectoid, my enemy had two mutons, and a muton berserker.  My strategy was to sight the enemy and toss grenades over the trains; his was to sneak his berserker forward, while leaving the mutons back.

Yes, he somehow managed to get the berserker behind without me realizing.  Far behind me, enough that I saw it in advance.  I also thought it was an elite, so was a little surprised when it bull rushed my muton do death.

It was a game of many fails on both sides, yet was still suspenceful.  I tried to grenade two enemies at once, one of which I did not know the exact location of, and got the ground in between them.  He failed to kill my elite at close range with a heavily weakened berserker then grenaded his own unit to death.  I won, in the end.  So far the only thing that's really owned me was an archangel sniper, but the way ranked works discourages that; two times out of five you get an indoor map.

You guys should really try the multiplayer.  Also try out mutons, they're surprisingly versatile.  Their blood shout ability turns them from ploddingly slow to faster than most xcom soldiers, and the elite is basically an artillery platform.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »

Classic, Ironman is a go!

Three missions in. Many, many injuries. But no deaths. Although my nano-weave vest was the only thing that saved my main Assault guy last time from a gruesome death.

Really enjoying everything so far, though. We'll see how it goes as I get further in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:16 pm »

After your first terror mission the difficulty spikes.
After meeting Mutons and loads of Floaters, and getting stomped likely for the final time this attempt, I agree.

Speaking of Mutons, this game apparently has some minor weird LOS issues with them. A Muton was standing on the track beneath a train, against the same wall my guy in the train was laying against.

Somehow, my guy didn't see the Muton. But he saw my guy. Without even moving. How the heck does that work?

I think I might have to tone down the difficulty.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 09, 2012, 10:39:10 pm »

So, started up on Classic/Ironman. I got through the first five missions with no KIAs and only three injuries (all on the first mission). I got classed as a Sniper, and my brother (who was watching/inputting his turn) got classed as Assault, both buddies that I put in became Heavies. They'd be okay with that. Bro and I are completely backward, though. :P I also have a corporal (I think) who is the only person not to be injured in the first mission. She is also a heavy, and has earned a nickname. Anyway, not too long in, terror levels are high, and I'm on the brink of losing Russia, Brazil and Argentina (I started in Asia.) Suddenly, I get a report out of Mexico that a town's being attacked. So, I send in the boys, and whom my brother refers to as "Little Miss Blow-Shit-Up". Turn one, we evac four civs, and take down two floaters. Not bad, I think. Next turn, we move up into a bar, and hear something in the next room. Bro moves up and carefully opens the door, only to find nothing. An empty room. So, HeavyBud1 moves in, and meets...

Chryssalids. Four of them. In one turn, I lose everyone but me, and I have no choice but to fall back to the Skyranger. We lose Mexico in the process of me leaving, but there was nothing I could do. Right as I get back, we spot a UFO over Japan. So, four rookies and myself head out. It takes us 6 turns of dead silence before we hear anything. I camp out up on an embankment near lots of trees. Two rooks scout the first room of the UFO, while the other two spot some sectoids over the hill I'm on. I have squadsight, so I'm just hanging out. The sectoids scatter away from the UFO, and my rooks chase them down. Three dead sectoids later, my rooks in the UFO come across something. A lone floater, just kind of hanging out. It takes off and hides. The rooks and myself move up on the UFO, so that we can contain anything else there. Before my mini-squad gets there, the two rooks in the UFO get cut down by a hail of plasma. There are at least three floaters in the ship. Next turn, we get there, and knock down two of them. One takes off into the sky. The two rooks I have left move into the ship for cover, and the floater lands next to me, blasting me down to one HP. I, on the other hand, repay the favor by killing it outright. Turns out, there were two more floaters in the ship, and my final rooks found out the hard way. So, I'm the only one left, but I manage to plink both floaters to death with no problem.

There's still alien activity.

So, I move up to scout the UFO, and it takes me three turns to find anything. When I get there, I find what I believe to be an Ethereal. I run as far as I can, and duck into cover, but it's no help. It walks right up to me and melts a hole in my face with its plasma gun.

Everybody's dead, Dave. (I'm gonna restart...on medium.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »

I'm not sure I like the look of Chryssalids.  I mean, come on.  It's just not a chryssalid without that volleyball head.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 625