Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961202 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2715 on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »

My Steam is stuck downloading on 99% and say's it's going 0 Bytes/S. Is it just being ultra slow or is there something wrong here?

It did the same thing for me. Just wait a bit longer, and it should work. Hitting the play button should also give you an idea of how long you should wait.
And it suddenly exploded with data the exact second you posted that! :D YAAAAAY!!!
It's FEF, not FEOF

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: October 09, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »

My Steam is stuck downloading on 99% and say's it's going 0 Bytes/S. Is it just being ultra slow or is there something wrong here?

It did the same thing for me. Just wait a bit longer, and it should work. Hitting the play button should also give you an idea of how long you should wait.
I spent about 40 minutes waiting for that to resolve with a bunch of friends piled into my livestream. Then I found out the game isn't XP-friendly the hard way. Not really my best night.
... and then it explodes!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: October 09, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »

I spent about 40 minutes waiting for that to resolve with a bunch of friends piled into my livestream. Then I found out the game isn't XP-friendly the hard way. Not really my best night.

Same here but without the livestream T_T. Currently trying to install it on my dad's labtop
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: October 09, 2012, 01:49:05 pm »

I just realized, looking through my list of rookies (all I have left now): I don't have a single woman on the entire team! I ordered some more rookies, and none of them were women either!

I hope XCOM doesn't fall under Affirmative Action, or we'll be in trouble :o

I've noticed that as well. It's odd, to say the least. I think that... only a quarter of my rookies have been women. And of course they die quickly due to the curse of XCOM. Currently the only female member of my team is from a mission reward. I don't give her long to live.

And it suddenly exploded with data the exact second you posted that! :D YAAAAAY!!!

Glad to help, I guess.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:32 pm »

Not sure if it's been posted already, but ufopedia.org is starting to get some info populated.  The soldier class abilities are all listed, although equipment & other stuff is sparse yet.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: October 09, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »

Does anyone know if the preorder bonuses will be available later as DLC or something? I missed the preorder deadline.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »

So far my best soldiers have been women.  Of the starting squad, we had two women: an unusually accurate heavy with bullet swarm and multiple rockets (Flash, if you remember my previous post) and a rifle wielding assault, both of which killed many aliens.  The male members of the squad were our competent but mostly supporting squad medic, and an utterly terrible sniper.

Anyway, I've been distracted by RL until now.  Now, I'm going to start another game in Asia, same difficulty level, and focus on building up a wide group of squaddies in addition to the few badasses I had last time, because I don't trust myself to win every mission and its easier to train the rookies when its just sectoids running around.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: October 09, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »

It's a little annoying that they didn't put up the Elite Soldier DLC up as something you could buy if you didn't preorder. It's never, ever a good idea to do something like that.. makes it so pirates get a more complete package than do your initial post release sale customers.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »

Damn. I'm a huge fan of customization, and I'm on the fence with this game. Missing out on the armor customization might be a deal breaker for me. I didn't preorder because I've gotten burned in the past with them. (Preordered SotS 2, you all know how that went.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:39 pm »

The game hasn't even been out for a full day yet. Might just take them a short while to get the DLC up and available.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: October 09, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »

That's sort of silly. Paradox Interactive had the two initial free-for-preorders DLCs for sale up with the launch of the game.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »

The game hasn't even been out for a full day yet. Might just take them a short while to get the DLC up and available.

I know. I'm being a little impatient. But it's the lack of information that's bugging me to no end.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 09, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »

Holy mother of god, a max rank sniper is soooooo insanely powerful.  Thier last ability ends up making it so the sniper can just keep killing and killing and killing until he runs outta ammo.  Though it is hard to line up enough weakened enemies to 'Keep him in the zone' when you get swarmed by crysalids and zombies, and he has 100% hit on every damn one... well lets just say my sniper got 10 kills in 3 turns in that last terror mission XD
Nom nom nom

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #2728 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »

So I just restarted on classic instead of normal this time. Balls, you all were right. This is outrageously difficult. They're just tearing my team up behind full walls. Screw your puny cover, humans. I can't move to outflank because they eated my face.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 09, 2012, 03:59:27 pm »

Oh, I don't know.  I'm running on Classic, and it's not a complete massacre each time.  :P  Short moves, always use overwatch, and keep your squads together.  I try to go with 2 man fire teams (within 2-4 or so of each other), with not more than 10 spaces between teams.  My first few missions were pretty brutal, maybe 40% losses, but after I get some xp built up (and 6 man squads), it's better.  I average 0-1 KIA per mission now, usually the rookie I mix in.

I think this game is slowly going down the tubes though...  satellites are a pain to get; at this point I only have the two given to you, and have lost China & Russia from the council.  I'll need to figure out a better base layout strategy, I think.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 625