Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961237 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2670 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:05 am »

To VPN or not to VPN... I hear Steam can ban you for that stuff.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:24 am »

I've also noticed some strange hit percentages that make no apparent sense. For example, I had a heavy that was a stone's throw away from a sectoid with a perfectly open shot. To hit : 22%. I switched to the next soldier, a rookie who was hanging back and did not have a clear shot at the little grey bastard. To hit : 46%. Seems very random at times.

If you hit the Info button it will give you a breakdown of what penalties and bonuses are adding to your shot.  Granted, deciphering what some of them mean or why you have them is not very straightforward at the moment, but I'm sure the FAQs will detail all that out eventually.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:52 am »

If I use explosives to soften up the xeno's, but finish them with regular weapons, does it still reduce the artifact payout? Assuming I'm not blasting the UFO interior or something.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: October 09, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

Damn it. Since I started in Europe, I'm kinda wishing that I actually did the tutorial now. Still, I'm doing a quick run-through on normal, so I don't really need the free stuff.

I'm having lots of fun playing so far (who needs sleep?) but I think my fears about the laser weapons have come true. They're inferior to plasma weapons in every way possible, including cost. Yes, plasma weapons are cheaper than laser weapons. Let me explain.

A majority of the problem involving laser weapons is that they now cost alien alloys to make. Now in the original game that wouldn't be a problem, since you generally were swimming in alien alloys anyways, and could always make your own. But in Enemy Unknown, you can no longer produce alien alloys, and intercepting UFOs seems much less common. Thus alien alloys are now an important resource to hoard, similar to how elerium was in the original (elerium should still be hoarded, obviously). To make matters worse, the amount of laser weapons you can produce from a single UFO is incredibly small. For instance, a small UFO only produces enough alloys for two laser rifles or three laser pistols. Remember that you still have to produce armour for your troops as well and that better armours suck up tons of alien alloys, so you should start stocking up early.

In contrast, plasma weapons are much cheaper, or at least for the basic weapons. Stunning an alien preserves its weapon, so after sacrificing a weapon for research, each alien you stun means another plasma gun in the armoury. Sectoids and Thin Men only have three health, so you should never run out of plasma pistols and light plasma rifles. Of course getting some of the better plasma guns will be trickier, but that's why XCOM has rookies. I'd probably still manufacture the laser machine gun and laser sniper rifle, mostly because you won't encounter the plasma versions of those weapons for a while. Still, you have no excuse for using laser pistols and rifles.

Luckily this game seems easily moddable, so for my next campaign I'll change the amount of alien alloys needed to something more reasonable. Like 0. Or maybe I'll just increase the amount of alien alloys a single UFO gives. A small UFO should have enough alloys in its structure to produce a suit of power armour.

If I use explosives to soften up the xeno's, but finish them with regular weapons, does it still reduce the artifact payout? Assuming I'm not blasting the UFO interior or something.

I'm pretty sure that only when you kill them with explosives you lost the artifact payout.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:12 am »

Does Ironman force you to start in NA, cause when I started my game last night I had no choice on where to start and I keep getting stuck in NA for new games?
Nom nom nom

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:33 am »

Ok, picking up a physical copy after work today, and I have a super important question. How big is the day 1 update, and do I need to be online to activate the game after the install?

I ask because we just moved, and some hiccups mean I don't have internet till friday at the earliest. I can tether with my phone to activate online if I have to, but don't want to DL too much because a) cell reception sucks at the new house and b) not a huge amount of data on my phone.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: October 09, 2012, 09:52:43 am »

Does Ironman force you to start in NA, cause when I started my game last night I had no choice on where to start and I keep getting stuck in NA for new games?

Nope, I'm playing Classic and Ironman. I started in Africa.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:08 am »

Bah, I'm downgrading to Ironman+Normal from Ironman Classic for now. I can't survive doing stuff like "LET'S RESEARCH CARAPACE ARMOR oh you can't make it unless you have 10 engineers and I only have 5 hurr durr" plus the missions doing shit like spawning in Thin Men surrounding you when you achieve an objective. I'm doing Normal until I know all the mechanical shit (i.e. disarming this bomb is going to make Thin Men rain from the ceiling despite there being a roof.. though I'm not sure if it's better when it happens without a roof).
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #2678 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:27 am »

I skipped the tutorial since I played the demo, and started on ironman normal. I was able to choose Africa (for that sweet, sweet 30% bonus). I haven't really ran into any problems. Other than around 6am when I stupidly decided to send my only medic across open ground. I find that if you advance within your blue zone with coverage it's a lot better (ALMOST ALWAYS) better than sprinting. My sniper has most of my kills, although with the tougher enemies I am REALLY starting to appreciate the specializations you can choose for your assault class.

It's a little odd that a heavy gunner doesn't hit anything when he's on overwatch. I'm thinking about giving him a scope or something. He's scary though!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:30 am »

Just played for a bit, classic difficulty, Iron man mode. everything is going swimmingly, no casualties on forst two missions, everyone is promoting up.

Then I down a UFO and Everything goes to hell as what looks like a slimmed down collector kills one of my troops, causes two more to panic, and shoot another. then sectoids appear, no one hits anything and everyone dies as I try to get back to the skyranger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: October 09, 2012, 10:04:56 am »

Holy shit. Played my first normal mission and apparently Classic has you facing an average of three times as many aliens per mission, plus they're borderline silly levels of accurate instead of actually being, y'know, bothered by that cover you're taking.

Edit: Is anyone else INCREDIBLY bothered by how line of fire (e.g. THERE IS A GODDAMN WALL IN THE WAY) plays no role in determining chance-to-hit?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:10:02 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:07 am »

Edit: Is anyone else INCREDIBLY bothered by how line of fire (e.g. THERE IS A GODDAMN WALL IN THE WAY) plays no role in determining chance-to-hit?
The old x-com had the exact opposite problem :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:46 am »

So far I am finding the game to be a little bit too guided. Trust me when I say that early through the game you will know exactly what to do. It isn't a bad thing mind you but I can't help but feel that it would be even more awsome if they didn't tell you what you needed to do.

Right now I have no idea if I am winning or losing. I really need to get more coverage as fast as I can but I lack the engineers.

I have two questions though
1) Can Floaters be stunned with the first stunner? I went into the circle but didn't get the stun option but that could have been because of height.
2) Does Satalyte uplinks use up engineers?
-This is the game's first genuin flaw that I found actually... It will list requirements under cost without a clear indication that you will be using it up.

So far I am really enjoying the game, I saved right on a "Difficult" mission. I hope my Super snipers are up to it. (Ohh will stunning the thin men be annoying)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: October 09, 2012, 10:29:41 am »

Hey Kilikan, b12's msg thing doesnt seem to work, so if you still want to deal, add me on steam.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:38 am »

Played 2 hours. Didn't like it. Realized that I left the tutorial on. Restarted on ironman classic mode with the tutorial off. Loved every single bit of it
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 625