Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961335 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2550 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

I can't wait for modders to descend on the game's code in a horde. I feel like it will benefit as much from modders like most Bethesda games benefit from them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/

Some things he didn't seem to mention:

You have no idea what class a rookie is untill you've leveled him up at least once. You also can't select when hiring new guys what classes you want. I don't know if it's because I've had a lot of snipers die, but I had like 4 rookies in a row turn out to be snipers.

The overwatch system is all kinds of buggy. People/aliens will shoot through walls and obstacles (and hit) if they're on overwatch. People also use up their overwatch shot as soon as an enemy moves, which sometimes means they're unloading into a brick wall only for the enemy to end up a square away from them in the open unharmed. Especially annoying if you have multiple people on overwatch and they all unload completely ineffectually.

Other than that, and a few more niggly little annoyances and my own personal hatred for the class system it's pretty fun. At first I was annoyed at how different it was from the original, but I guess those kinds of game are old hat now. Once you get past that though it's very engrossing.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/

Some things he didn't seem to mention:

You have no idea what class a rookie is untill you've leveled him up at least once. You also can't select when hiring new guys what classes you want. I don't know if it's because I've had a lot of snipers die, but I had like 4 rookies in a row turn out to be snipers.

The overwatch system is all kinds of buggy. People/aliens will shoot through walls and obstacles (and hit) if they're on overwatch. People also use up their overwatch shot as soon as an enemy moves, which sometimes means they're unloading into a brick wall only for the enemy to end up a square away from them in the open unharmed. Especially annoying if you have multiple people on overwatch and they all unload completely ineffectually.

Other than that, and a few more niggly little annoyances and my own personal hatred for the class system it's pretty fun. At first I was annoyed at how different it was from the original, but I guess those kinds of game are old hat now. Once you get past that though it's very engrossing.

Playing on XBOX?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:26 pm »

I actually think not knowing what class a soldier is until he starts to train is a brilliant idea. I mean realistically you don't know what someone is good at until they start doing it.
Nom nom nom

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:30 pm »

There is an upgrade in the officer training school that starts every soldier with one rank in their class.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »

Playing on XBOX?

Yup. I think I actually prefer it with the controller.

I actually think not knowing what class a soldier is until he starts to train is a brilliant idea. I mean realistically you don't know what someone is good at until they start doing it.

I imagine realistically you'd have at least some sense of what they were good at before you sent them to fight unknown horrors from beyond the stars with the best technology mankind can muster though? I never got the impression the XCOM soldiers were just picked up off the street. I thought it was like a Men in Black thing where they're all allready military/law enforcement/whatever trained.

It's not a huge huge deal, though I find it really annoying. It's a big part of why I'm not a fan of the class system. I can see why some people would like it however.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: October 08, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

Yeah I suppose so, I was looking at it more along the lines of that they are using technology they have never used before as well.  Though you don't really start that way so yeah it is pretty odd.  Maybe you could get a mod that splits rookies up into sub-classes like Precision, speed, and strength so you get at least a sense of what they physically can do to start with.
Nom nom nom

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:14 pm »

Or you could consider that the pool of recruits is made of violent criminals who took a deal with their governments to join X-Com... and/or fresh recruits/volunteers out of boot camp.

Would have to play it a bit before I can get down a more crazy/plausible explanation based on mechanics and flow of the game...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

Well all I know is that I've lost 5 soldiers so far. And they've all been snipers. Now I only bring "Lucky Shot" my original surviving sniper who has yet to even be wounded.

Basically giving someone a sniper rifle for some unexplainable reason means they will die within two missions.

I am quite excited for the modding possibilities though, have they said anything about mod tools or the like?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »

If I was running an international military project to save the Earth, I'd get pre-trained soldiers!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »

you won't be saving earth with pennies, either..

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2561 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:47 pm »

Why is fenrif not getting the enormous mountain of hate he deserves for already having access to the game while the rest of us are waiting?

Also, fenrif, what the heck are you even doing here?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

I had this mountain ate this big but I used it up all today at work.

by the way, dinner pause is over, down with overtime  ::)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: October 08, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »

It's a turn based game, I can play and do other things at the same time. :P

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: October 08, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »

Oh my god fenrif you son of a bitch. No fair I have to wait like 10 hours still!

Gaaahhhh.

Today is gonna feel so, so long.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 625