Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961573 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2355 on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:57 am »

On the topic of US people getting this earlier; does anyone here have any experience with using VPN's to play Steam games before your region's release? Or perhaps a link to somewhere with info?

I'd love to play XCOM two days earlier than I could otherwise.
I'm pretty sure steam associates region code of purchases with your account. So I doubt you'll get it if you already bought it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:19 am »

I have had luck with VPN's and steam before but the game was region free. I am not sure if XCOM is also region free or region specific.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:50 am »

Since this thread needs some more 'lighten-up', I'm sharing a video in which the Lead Designer goes undercover and tries to sell a few pre-orders at unsuspecting customers. Clicky click.

Beyond that, there is a new trailer out here. And there is currently a multiplayer match going on between the Community Manager and a Marketing Associate. Too late to post about it now, but once it's done, I'll leave the link here.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:25 pm »

Spraycans are not exactly guns? Unless there is a specific long range variant that I'm not aware of. Hell, I have an anesthetic/antibiotic spray on my table here.Medicine has been administered that way before, and it's not too much of a stretch that we can make a spray that heals fast-ish (we already grow simple organs in jars).

A Spray that as long as you use it in the general dirrection of the target heals them however is what I call a medicine gun.

It would certainly a fantastic invention in real life.
We HAVE stuff like that in real life. Not the kind where your invisible health bar regains some points, no, but antibacterial and antiseptic sprays have been around for quite some time. It's no more fantastic than first-aid kits in every other game and has the same range as the medical kits in the original X-COM.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 04, 2012, 12:38:21 pm »

I know first aid sprey exists in real life.

I was refering to a "Heal you" sprey that works just by spreying it around someone's general area. Even first aid sprey doesn't do that or even work if you use it like that.

In MAG that sprey would even revive you if it touched your bleeding out body.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:41:00 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 04, 2012, 12:42:02 pm »

It's a long-standing video game convention. Same as any of the various health kits, painkillers, hearts, etc that have been around since the NES days. Pick up or use healing item, get health back.

You might as well hate on all of that stuff as well, since it fulfills the exact same purpose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

It's a long-standing video game convention. Same as any of the various health kits, painkillers, hearts, etc that have been around since the NES days. Pick up or use healing item, get health back.

You might as well hate on all of that stuff as well, since it fulfills the exact same purpose.

I didn't hate.

I gave a reason why I predicted Medicine gun (Namely because it would be too difficult to show them actually applying medical attention) and that was it. Then I gave my definition of medicine gun and the differences between that and first aid sprey. Then I pointed out that in real life the Xcom medicine gun would be astounding.

Sheesh, I can't even point out a tree before someone accuses me of hating forests.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:47:57 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »

My only problem with the med-kit animation is that if the soldier uses it on themselves they still spray it off in a random direction. That seems...lazy. Although that was the demo, we'll have to see how it works in the full game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

My vote is that it probably won't change in the full version.

Though I was surprised that the "Aliens shooting people through walls that they wouldn't be able to see through" was actually confirmed as a glitch and that it was fixed in the full version. So who knows.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 04, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »

"Actually applying medical attention" for these wounds would probably require a team of paramedics and plenty of time to stabilize each patient. Since you can't have stuff like that breaking up the flow of gameplay (and the paramedics would probably drop like flies), medical SPRAY. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers were simply healed for the fight, but still had to spend time in the hospital once they got back.

And once again, a spray that you can only use on the guy standing right next to you (or yourself) is not a "gun". This is a medicine gun, at least the way you're claiming.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2365 on: October 04, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »

Honestly it would look 100x better if the medic just used a little autoinjector on the wounded soldier's arm, or on his own arm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 04, 2012, 12:55:55 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers were simply healed for the fight, but still had to spend time in the hospital once they got back

Actually that is what happens. Even if you heal a soldier back to full health they still come back from the mission injured.

It very much seems to be within the realm of Adrenalin injections and painkillers

Honestly it would look 100x better if the medic just used a little autoinjector on the wounded soldier's arm, or on his own arm

Yes but how would he do it to Sectoids they are too small for that animation. (Honestly imagine if that is the reason... it would be a pretty awsome reason)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 04, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »

"Actually applying medical attention" for these wounds would probably require a team of paramedics and plenty of time to stabilize each patient. Since you can't have stuff like that breaking up the flow of gameplay (and the paramedics would probably drop like flies), medical SPRAY. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers were simply healed for the fight, but still had to spend time in the hospital once they got back.

And once again, a spray that you can only use on the guy standing right next to you (or yourself) is not a "gun". This is a medicine gun, at least the way you're claiming.

They do spend time in the infirmary once they get back. Its basically a holdover until they get back to base. Still, I don't know why everyone is getting picky over the healing animation. It's unique, it lets the player (or his opponent in multi) know what's just happened and its easy to see.

The weird thing? The healing also works on armour, as far as I can tell. As the added health of later soldiers is just armour and nothing else. They even have a mechanic in so if the health added from the armour is damaged but the health isn't they don't go to the infirmary, seems like a weird design choice.

Honestly it would look 100x better if the medic just used a little autoinjector on the wounded soldier's arm, or on his own arm.

This would work too. Downside being its not as obvious as to whats happening.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: October 04, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »

I don't know why everyone is getting picky over the healing animation

Well no one is really up in arms about it. It is just something to talk about.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 04, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »

Since this thread needs some more 'lighten-up', I'm sharing a video in which the Lead Designer goes undercover and tries to sell a few pre-orders at unsuspecting customers. Clicky click.
...Jake Solomon is a terrible salesman.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 625