Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961553 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2340 on: October 04, 2012, 03:28:54 am »

Only five more days. I think I can resist spoiling myself now that it's so close :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:52 am »

Its 8 days for me. Goddamn American's getting everything early :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:31 am »

Repeats the same points after they've already been refuted, yes. Either that or makes vague predictions about how terrible it will be because it isn't being handed down from Heaven on an adamantine platter. That's where things get irritating

Hey I was right about the medicine gun! and I self-refuted my Sectoid complaint and admitted my mistake which dominos many of my other statements.

Still surprised I was right about the medicine gun (Ok not really... MAG is what sort of made me aware of the popularity of Medicine Guns. Thus if they included med-packs they would have to show it be used... which if it was to happen in a single turn would have to be fast... Hense Medicine Guns)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:27:40 am by Neonivek »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:34 am »

Spraycans are not exactly guns? Unless there is a specific long range variant that I'm not aware of. Hell, I have an anesthetic/antibiotic spray on my table here.Medicine has been administered that way before, and it's not too much of a stretch that we can make a spray that heals fast-ish (we already grow simple organs in jars).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:15 am »

Stem-Gel first aid spray. Patent pending.

On another note.......longest 5 days of my life. I have a million things to do to free up the rest of October but I can't seem to focus on them. I've had 2 XCOM dreams which is odd because I'm not a teenager. Sid Meier owns my ass.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:35 am »

Spraycans are not exactly guns? Unless there is a specific long range variant that I'm not aware of. Hell, I have an anesthetic/antibiotic spray on my table here.Medicine has been administered that way before, and it's not too much of a stretch that we can make a spray that heals fast-ish (we already grow simple organs in jars).

A Spray that as long as you use it in the general dirrection of the target heals them however is what I call a medicine gun.

It would certainly a fantastic invention in real life.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:33 am »

Neonivek, I've been following this thread on and off for a while now, and I feel that you probably just don't want to play the game or give it a chance. You hate literally everything about it. Maybe it would be for the best if you stepped out of it until the title is released, so you can back up your arguments by presenting the final product.

Dang it Neonivek, you complained. Thus you hate EVERYTHING about it!

YOU HAVE NO SAY NEONIVEK! Leave this place. Darken our doorways no more. You shall not infest us with your ability to say bad things!

Err wait let me correct that

Dang it Neonivek, you complained. Thus you hate EVERYTHING about it!

YOU HAVE NO SAY NEONIVEK! Leave this place. Darken our doorways no more. You shall not infest us with your ability to say bad things!

NOO! You saw through my plan to infect everyone with badness. I was getting away with it too until you discovered my secret.

For you see Grakelin... I am an ALIEN! My powers fading... draining out... Ooooohhh woe is me!

It's not that you offered disagreement. I like disagreement. I thrive on disagreement, and long for the day that Nikov can come back to this forum. I can even agree with some of the things you have said.

It's just that you haven't actually said very many constructive things. There's no selection in your critique. Many of the complaints you have brought forward lack in merit: Either they are features which existed in the original, is a quibble about the product marketing, or is entirely inconsequential. Criticism is excellent when it is constructive - for instance, the lack of attention to voice acting is, indeed, a flaw which could have easily been remedied to improve our experience. Although I don't agree, you would have a valid point if you complained about the size of the squad. Complaining that the XCOM grunts wear power armour, despite its presence in the original, is not as valid. Neither was our ten page battle about whether the women looked okay or not.

Coupled with the fact that you've already stated you won't be purchasing the game, it makes me wonder what you're doing here. There's a fine line between an "I Love This Game" circle jerk and an "I Hate This Game" circle jerk.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 04, 2012, 08:56:20 am »

Coupled with the fact that you've already stated you won't be purchasing the game, it makes me wonder what you're doing here. There's a fine line between an "I Love This Game" circle jerk and an "I Hate This Game" circle jerk.

Keep reading... You arn't there just yet

Complaining that the XCOM grunts wear power armour, despite its presence in the original, is not as valid

It is about how I feel about the game and its aestetics and feel as well as how it compliments the story and structure. It is perfectly valid.

Criticism is excellent when it is constructive

Constructive Criticism is when you offer an alternative or possible way to fix something. Unconstructive criticism is when you do not offer anything.

I've given Constructive Criticism in this thread. Keep reading.

Neither was our ten page battle about whether the women looked okay or not

How the game uses gender with respect to aestetics and thus thematic effects on theme is important to a game.

Graekelin you are starting to sound like one of those people who actively goes out and tells people what they are and are not allowed to complain about, but in the end all you really are doing is trying to assert what you do and do not like about the game as those judgement. Hense why according to you I CAN complain about Squad size (because you have your own personal issues with it) and why I cannot complain about the aestetics (because you could care less).

While I am not a technical graphics critic and I could care less how advanced or simple graphics are... I am very much an artistic graphics critic in that I consider it important that a game conveys itself well through its graphics as well if I like what it is conveying.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:00:41 am by Neonivek »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:34 am »

I can't help but feel that this has devolved into a game of mafia.  Or perhaps evolved...
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 04, 2012, 09:01:45 am »

I can't help but feel that this has devolved into a game of mafia.  Or perhaps evolved...

It is a very hard game to keep up with. I usually do not defend myself this fervently because I usually don't like to explain myself.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2350 on: October 04, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

Well then Neonivek, why so scummy eh?

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:23 am »

Artistic graphics critic. Hahahaha :D
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:41 am »

This is my response to all of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWopfEJq48
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:48 am »

Eh, I've just accepted that Neonivek enjoys complaining about stuff. Just don't let it to you and everything's fine.

I'm kind of glad I'm going to be off camping this weekend. Easier to bear the wait when I don't have my computer with me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:00 am »

On the topic of US people getting this earlier; does anyone here have any experience with using VPN's to play Steam games before your region's release? Or perhaps a link to somewhere with info?

I'd love to play XCOM two days earlier than I could otherwise.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 625