Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961483 times)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1950 on: September 24, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

It is rather short (Steam says 31 minutes), but it was enjoyable enough. There are a couple of choices you can make, but I haven't actually checked to see how different they'd make the playthrough. For me at least, I'm pretty sure that I'll buy the game, but not at launch. I've got Borderlands 2 to keep me busy at least until the Winter sale on Steam. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »

Tutorial mission + introduction to the HQ base + a 2nd short mission

It was fun, but it's not really replayable. You can choose between two missions for the 2nd one, but I don't know if they're different.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1952 on: September 24, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

Also they pretty much guide you through the first mission (way points and instructions on what to do) and the first bit of the second. It's helpful to get a handle on the controls, but that also limits replayability a bit.

Also did anyone try to choose different soldiers for the second mission? I thought about it, but wanted to actually try the mission so I don't even know if it's possible let alone how it works.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: September 24, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »

Cant change soldier, and second its all scripted no replay value at all. 5gig for 2 mission that kinda big... i just hope we can turn the demo into full game at release, i dont wanna download the whole game again...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 24, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »

Dang nabbit, I have one night that I'm occupied and they release the damn demo on that night ... Nice one, Gaming Gods, nice one ...

That said, the full game will need about 20GB of HD space.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »

Dohon, it's a very nice, very short little demo that seems like it was a press build for an expo. It keeps you on pretty tight rails and only takes about 30 mins to play through. It's fun, but not so much so that you shouldn't go enjoy your event tonight.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:26 pm »

A tutorial is not a demo...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »

It certainly can be, though. The point of a demo is to show off the game and let players get a feel for how everything plays and decide if they want the game. A tutorial, at least a good one, does many of the same things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1958 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »

The demo goes like this:

Intro Video
Tutorial Mission (100% guided mission, waypoints etc)
Base Introduction
Promotion Introduction
Research Introduction
2nd Misson (Choice of 2 missions, only guided at the very start, after that it is free to play however you like)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

Dohon, it's a very nice, very short little demo that seems like it was a press build for an expo. It keeps you on pretty tight rails and only takes about 30 mins to play through. It's fun, but not so much so that you shouldn't go enjoy your event tonight.

Oh, cheers for the write-up! I do appreciate it. :) And now, off to work!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 24, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Doesn't run very smoothly for me. Wondering if that's because demo or something on my end.

EDIT: Quick search suggests video card is not up to snuff. As usual.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:43:13 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 24, 2012, 04:57:40 pm »

This demo makes me excited in ways I have never been before.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »

OK, I took a bullet for everyone and played through the demo again. Basically, in the demo, choice doesn't matter.

First time I was based in US. Second mission choices were miami and china. I chose Miami.

Second time was based in Europe and chose china for second mission but it was identical except that the signs had mandarin on them.

While this isn't news, I thought some people would like to know before they played again hoping for anything different. These ARE scripted missions to show off game mechanics. I am still happy and excited for the game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:03 pm »

All the enemy's spawn in the same place each time too.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 24, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

All the enemy's spawn in the same place each time too.

That really does limit the replayability. Ah, well, should still be worth the download and a playthrough or two.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 625