Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961563 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1920 on: September 23, 2012, 06:42:52 am »

I won't be playing any of the multiplayer at all, it's a feature that genuinely will not be looked at by me.

I just hope it doesn't feel like time has been taken away from polishing the single-player experience to work on a half-arsed multiplayer component.

If I stumble across it i'll let you know, but they said that they only put a couple of guys onto the multiplayer precisely because they didn't want to take away from single player.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 23, 2012, 07:08:39 am »

UFO2000 was pretty fun, so there's the potential for the multiplayer to be fun.

That said, the multiplayer in UFO: The Two Sides had even more potential, so I'm a bit disappointed Firaxis isn't making it possible to have a two-player strategy mode where one player plays aliens and the other plays humans, like in UFO: TTS.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:11 am »

Oh, if anyone wants a non-spoiler interview (They really, really don't want to spoil anything) that just discusses the design changes, angry joe did one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_XLGJSIoyo
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »

I'm kinda disappointed that there's no hotseat multiplayer.  I'll be getting the game for my 360 (yeah, I know) which is offline.  I think multiplayer has some interesting features, like the point buy system letting you make a team of both soldiers and aliens instead of just being human team vs. alien team.  At least there's still single player :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 23, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

I'm kinda disappointed that there's no hotseat multiplayer.
This is a complaint of mine with just about everything that's turn-based and already has multiplayer of other sorts. It can't be that hard, and I'd assume there'd be demand for it, so... I guess they're just really reaching for more sales?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 23, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »

UFO2000 was pretty fun, so there's the potential for the multiplayer to be fun.

That said, the multiplayer in UFO: The Two Sides had even more potential, so I'm a bit disappointed Firaxis isn't making it possible to have a two-player strategy mode where one player plays aliens and the other plays humans, like in UFO: TTS.

To be honest, campaign multiplayer always felt like something that sounds awesome to have, but in practice is only played by a tiny handful of people. No random player is going to stick around for hours (never mind multiple sessions) to get through a whole campaign, so you have to play with friends... who have to be at your skill level, interested in playing, and with enough free time that coincides with yours. That eliminates a pretty big chunk of the target audience, unfortunately.  :(

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:13 am »

YES YES YES YES YES *Indecipherable screams*

Thank you

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1928 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:50 am »

Interesting decision, releasing a steam demo so far in advance of the game's release. They must be pretty confident of the demo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 24, 2012, 11:14:00 am »

Interesting decision, releasing a steam demo so far in advance of the game's release. They must be pretty confident of the demo.

They've been saying stuff for weeks like "the game has been done for a while." Further demonstrated by all the pre-order gimmicks. So yeah, I'd say they're pretty confident at this point, they have time to futz around making demos and stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1930 on: September 24, 2012, 11:14:39 am »

Welp, I guess I'm not working late today then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1931 on: September 24, 2012, 11:32:05 am »

They've been saying stuff for weeks like "the game has been done for a while." Further demonstrated by all the pre-order gimmicks. So yeah, I'd say they're pretty confident at this point, they have time to futz around making demos and stuff.
'Game being done' does not equal 'game being good'. A bad demo can really really hurt sales, thats all I meant, and even a good game can put out a very bad demo. If the demo is good, and the game is good, then everything is fine. :)

(Conversely, a well done demo can really hype up a game which is actually fairly bad. I've seen both extremes.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 24, 2012, 11:37:47 am »

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:29 am »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:49 am »

mother of god

what the hell have they done to my precious xcom
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 625