Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962120 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1245 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »

Y'know, I'd be willing to try out the FPS if it were a new franchise or story. Mysterious lights dissolving stuff, being battled with 50's era technology? Sounds like it could be great. Problem was, it just wasn't X-COM.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »

Y'know, I'd be willing to try out the FPS if it were a new franchise or story. Mysterious lights dissolving stuff, being battled with 50's era technology? Sounds like it could be great. Problem was, it just wasn't X-COM.

Ohh I was fine with it. It could have been a game about the creation of Xcom.

It was when it became "Mass Effect, Xcom Edition" that I was like *Groan*

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:13 am »

"Hey, We're making an X-COM FPS!"
Internet: ...
"It looks like Mass Effect!"
Internet: *Groan*
"Hey, we're making an X-Com game as well! with strategy!"
Internet: Hmm. *excited*
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:48 am »

You somehow overlooked the most important announcement.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, you got me there. I do have to remark that this 'guile' soldier thingy is only for pre-orderers. If you don't get your copy on release day, you are out of luck. Sure, the bonus will probably be available to buy 6 months - 1 year after release. Beyond the pre-order thingy, we do not know yet if you only get this soldier once (it is confirmed he'll be in your barracks once you start a game) or that his hairstyle will be unlocked for other soldiers as well.

If you need more info regarding the pre-order bonuses and which stores will carry the PC(-only) XCOM Special Edition, you need to read this and this thread. And ofcourse watch the picture spoilered below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I wasn't sold before, I totally am now.  This really is the labor of love they made it out to be.

I notice in the screenshots that researching "Alien Materials" costs five "Weapon Fragments".  I'm guessing that you won't be able to run your entire enterprise selling all the wholly intact alien weapons you pick up, after researching the exactly one it requires to reproduce them.

I can't say I'm pleased with making research a bit more "abstract", but I can certainly make an argument in its favor.

Alien Weapons explode on death of the alien. Only by capturing a live alien do you get to keep the weapon in its entirety.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:49:10 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

After watching that picture for around two minutes I now feel tricked.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 31, 2012, 11:56:37 am »

I do feel that the Guile hair and the armour colour customization should have been included as standard. The armours as a DLC I could understand, since they are purely cosmetic. At least, that's what's going around the official forums. If the new armours were actually different forms of armour, I would find it unfair to restrict those to pre-order stuff.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »

Sorry, some nifty hair isn't enough to convince me. I'll be passing this opportunity up.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 31, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »

I do feel that the Guile hair and the armour colour customization should have been included as standard. The armours as a DLC I could understand, since they are purely cosmetic. At least, that's what's going around the official forums. If the new armours were actually different forms of armour, I would find it unfair to restrict those to pre-order stuff.

Not to be "that guy", but I believe what lord cooper was referencing was the odd choice of wording recommending we "watch" the image instead of suggesting we "look at" or "view" it. Whereas he would be implying that he watched the image for 2 minutes expecting something to happen, as if it were a video, say. Hopefully he meant this in jest, but either way his comment did cause me to chuckle.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

I have to admit the cartoonishly large weapons are a little off-putting, but I presume that's to make them easily visible from the sky view.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 31, 2012, 02:07:04 pm »

I have to admit the cartoonishly large weapons are a little off-putting, but I presume that's to make them easily visible from the sky view.

Given one of the original Xcom weapons was a Cannon... I don't know if I find it that bad.

Especially when you are fighting things like Cyberdiscs and Crystoids

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 31, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »

From what I've heard in the interviews the developers are trying to avoid having any of the DLC include actual game mechanics. So there shouldn't be any new armor or weapon types that are DLC that are anything other than cosmetic.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 31, 2012, 02:17:08 pm »

Don't worry, if the PC modding community is up to par we'll all have Guile hair and armor painting before a week is over :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 31, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »

Isn't that supposed to be one of the hairstyles from the original game?

Apparently Guile goes to the same hairdresser as X-COM. The two haircuts are literally identical.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 31, 2012, 03:44:48 pm »

Don't worry, if the PC modding community is up to par we'll all have Guile hair and armor painting before a week is over :P
And also progress on having huge squads.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 31, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

And also progress on having huge squads.
Y'know, that part doesn't bother me so much.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 625