Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962169 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1200 on: June 14, 2012, 11:25:53 am »

I speak with the voice of Barry White.
According to your avatar you look like mr bean....
What an epic combination.

:o

Also, go watch Blackadder.  Right away.

Education these days, people think Blackadder is Mr. Bean....

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 14, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

You know now that you've inspired me to do a brit comedy style mod. Everything from Welsh sectoids speaking incomprehensible gibberish, to thin men doing the "funny walk" from Monty Python, to a Red Dwarf inspired Xcom.

Xcom: Saving the world one curry at a time..........

Oh, and back OT. That game-play video does look pretty sick. It gave me a lot more of a feel of what later game missions will be like (even if most of it is glam-cam graphical showiness). Very cool feel to it. Remember all the boring bits of the original? I don't think there will be too many of those in this one. Sort of either suspense and searching or shooting and shit happening. The tempo is deceptive in the video, but it seemed like they've got the basic look/sound/feel of the game to a point where it won't ever really feel like the old "Just four more turns to check there's no aliens in these barns so I can then check the gardens" from the original.

Looked and sounded great.
It's a game. Have fun.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:18 pm »

Decided to play the original for a bit last night. Damned Chryssalids wiped out almost my entire response team. Every time I got them down to the last Chryssalid the lone survivor would run up and turn two more of my guys. It was a nightmare. But fun!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 14, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

Decided to play the original for a bit last night. Damned Chryssalids wiped out almost my entire response team. Every time I got them down to the last Chryssalid the lone survivor would run up and turn two more of my guys. It was a nightmare. But fun!

Dunno, I always play SH and chryssalids are NEVER a problem for me, maybe because I go from sectoids to mutons straight (becuz the difficulty). I think overall my soldier was bit by one maybe 10 times in about 10 years of me playing this game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 14, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

Dunno, I always play SH and chryssalids are NEVER a problem for me, maybe because I go from sectoids to mutons straight (becuz the difficulty). I think overall my soldier was bit by one maybe 10 times in about 10 years of me playing this game.

You know, normally it's not a big deal for me either. But this one terror mission just worked out horribly. Doesn't help that I had a self-imposed handicap to not move on to Plasma weapons until I had all of the laser tree researched out. So while I had alien grenades I was still using laser rifles against them. They work ok, but it did mean that the chryssalids could often survive quite a few hits before they went down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 14, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

I always stopped playing before very long, so I only ever fought Chrysalids once. I had just shot down a large UFO and sent my good team in to clean up the mess. Very flat terrain, daylight. I approach the target and see Snakemen. I shoot one or two, when suddenly it's alien raep.

Determined to try to survive this mission, I pull everyone back to the Skyranger, arrange them in a firing line, and go nuts with reaction fire. It works...until I also get my first look at a blaster bomb and lose all but two dudes. I have the survivors charge into the UFO, gunning down snakemen and chrysalids until more blaster bombs finish them off.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »

You should have lifted off after the blaster bomb and saved your last two dudes. :/

Ah well!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 14, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »

Unless you've got the mod for your game, you do realize that SuperHuman is the easiest difficulty, right? :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »

You should have lifted off after the blaster bomb and saved your last two dudes. :/

Ah well!
Didn't care. I was on a suicidal rampage at the point anyway :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:47 pm »

I was thinking, and using original x-com as a base, a good Ghost Buster game could be made. (That and Stargate but that /way/ more involved.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 14, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »

I was thinking, and using original x-com as a base, a good Ghost Buster game could be made. (That and Stargate but that /way/ more involved.)
have you read the fanfic? Anyway, Stargate by and large had no interesting alien tech in it (the Goa'uld got those canons at one point, and they can infect people, but other than that- it was 9 seasons of people with shooting staves (which combine the rate of fire of a shotgun with the accuracy of a renaissance musket, as far as I could tell) getting hosed down by people with actual automatic weapons)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »

have you read the fanfic? Anyway, Stargate by and large had no interesting alien tech in it (the Goa'uld got those canons at one point, and they can infect people, but other than that- it was 9 seasons of people with shooting staves (which combine the rate of fire of a shotgun with the accuracy of a renaissance musket, as far as I could tell) getting hosed down by people with actual automatic weapons)
I agree that its alien tech isn't the most interesting, but it offers great things for mechanics. From the work that I've done it, an X-Com style Stargate game, eventually evolves into a more 4X person.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:36 pm »

This has inspired me to attempt to finish TFTD again, having played UFO to death. Completed it once when I was about 14 (i.e, over 10 years ago) with massive amounts of savescumming, now I want to see if I can legitimately beat the game. I've already established my base is in the wrong spot having seen one measly USO in nearly two months, but that's ok. I'm sure Cthulu will come to me in time.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 14, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

I wonder if there will be even a brief mention of some underwater alien activity in the new one. Just as a fan-service, not for actual gameplay.

Although........ Not such a bad idea for the expansion pack either. There was a mod/frontend for the original and TFTD around where you could play both sort-of seemlessly. It sort-of worked.

But again, as a bit of a blurb for terror attacks on shipping ports as a fan-service would be pretty cool.
It's a game. Have fun.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:05 am »

Unless you've got the mod for your game, you do realize that SuperHuman is the easiest difficulty, right? :P

I've been playing this long enough to know that, I use XCOMUTIL.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 625