Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: save while falling  (Read 3069 times)

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
save while falling
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Not sure why, but I decided to save a game while my master bookkeeper(and trader and .... ) was falling due to a cavern collapse. Also not precisely sure what triggered it...

Anyway, his icon seems to indicate duress, and he's hanging in midair, and using dfcompanion is ineffective. Also, when you 'v' his location the game indicates there is no unit nearby, in 'u' he has no jobs.

new bug? if not, let me know, but I didn't see it.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: save while falling
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

That's... a simultaneously disturbing and awesome image.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

Try dropping a kitten on top of him.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Try dropping a kitten on top of him.</STRONG>

I have no idea what that would possibly do, but it's so bizzare, it's tempting, I have to do it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>That's... a simultaneously disturbing and awesome image.</STRONG>

Agreed. Maybe, try dumping water on him, or flooding a nearby area, if you want to retrieve him. That might wake him up.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

I think there may be a chance that the game will respond if another projectile-creature enters his space.  With any luck, they'll collide and the game will wake up so they both get to plummet to the ground.  Kittens just have a habit of being available for such occasions.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

Well, the only thing I can think of thats similar to that is when you use Gibbed's Tools to modify a tile to add water. You would have to build (well place it for building, not necessarily build it) then remove the building to get the water to flow.

You could try the same thing for this problem.. Not promising anything though.  :p

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

Projectiles don't have a unit flag in the square, which would explain why the dwarf doesn't show up in regular cursors.  So...  does this happen whenever you cave-in a unit and then save?  I imagine it'll be easy to duplicate if so.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

had an opportunity to play some more with the tags that are editable in the dwarf details: 0x1.4 is set on the dwarf who is not falling when he should be. removing that setting causes him to fall normally and die miserably. So, Toady, whatever that flag is, unchecking it will reactivate the affected dwarf and cause him to splatter nicely. Once the dwarf begins to fall, I see nothing that will stop him/her.

Hope this helps!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

I'm not sure what 0x1.4 refers to, but if you removed the projectile flag (which should be there), it would re-run the ground check and make the dwarf fall, but that wouldn't address the actual problem (and would possibly create a duplicate projectile object and further issues).  Anyway, I'll note this down, but if it doesn't reproduce for me, I'll need a save with the problem.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

I couldn't get it to reproduce after saving with falling units.  If somebody comes up with a save, I might be able to figure it out.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

I don't know if this is related but I was messing around with channels once and my dwarf got stuck in midair, I didn't find out until he was starving and dehydrated but I managed to save him by building a floor underneath him. (He made it to the kitchen)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »

I couldn't get it to reproduce after saving with falling units.  If somebody comes up with a save, I might be able to figure it out.

Following up on this, there's speculation in another thread that it only happens with units that get propelled by blows:

Are you sure about that? Toady has that bug marked as not reproducible. I suspect that the ability to reliably reproduce it would be useful.
Interesting.  Seems like Toady couldn't get it to reproduce from falling entities; maybe it only applies to 'propelled' creatures.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »

I was able to reproduce this today with an orc flung by a retracting bridge.  Saving while the orc was airborne left me with a stuck orc when I reloaded.  I tried this with a dozen or so orcs and only one became stuck, so there's some other factor deciding when it happens.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 04:45:32 am »

Yeah, I've had this happen with goblins that were punted through the air by champions.  It seems to happen when there's a unit with the airborne flag due to being launched into the air by something.  Maybe only when that unit is also airborne on a square with a floor?

The airborne goblin also prevented the siege flag from clearing after all the other ones were dead/fled.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: [1] 2