Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safe way to handle Forgotten Beast Extract?  (Read 7044 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Safe way to handle Forgotten Beast Extract?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:55 am »

Your fortress is dirty D:

That said, you're one of the few people who actually bothers to shower them.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 07:14:24 am »

I do that too...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 12:33:55 am »

Ok, after listening to everyone's advice, I've decided that GLORIOUS MAGMA PURIFICATION is the only way to go here.  I am currently pumping large quantities of MAGMA through a hole I dug in the ceiling of the contaminated room, and I'm going to keep the magma flowing until it completely destroys everything in the room... then I'll open the gate into the caverns and let it set the entire cavern layer on !!FIRE!!, hopefully destroying all the contaminants out there as well...

I also dug a drainage pipe underneath the contaminated room with an obsidian floodgate to block the drain until I'm satisfied that all the nasty forgotten beast extract has been disposed of... hopefully I should be able to drain the magma away and eventually reclaim the area.

Wish me luck.  :P

--nomad_delta
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:42:40 am by nomad_delta »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 03:15:02 am »

Just make sure you don't leave that one blob of extract that spreads towards your fortress like a vengeful fungus....

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 03:55:34 am »

I have been considering options for when I reach the cavern layer...

...does fire provide an adequate decontamination system? I have a huge lignite stockpile so I was just going to have an airlock with lignite floor grates and an ignition/extinguisher system.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 03:57:26 am »

I have been considering options for when I reach the cavern layer...

...does fire provide an adequate decontamination system? I have a huge lignite stockpile so I was just going to have an airlock with lignite floor grates and an ignition/extinguisher system.

If it's flat enough, fire should work. It'd either burn the syndromes, at best, or just cover it with ash at worst (par doing nothing at all).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 07:48:07 am »

A burning object will destroy contamination in the tile it is in, and in adjacent tiles as well.  A burning grate will destroy contamination on or next to it.

However, to set the grates on fire you'll need to pour magma on them, and the magma will destroy the contamination anyway, making the burning grates pointless.

Also, only artifact lignite grates will burn forever.  Normal lignite grates will eventually be destroyed by fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:12 am »

A burning object will destroy contamination in the tile it is in, and in adjacent tiles as well.  A burning grate will destroy contamination on or next to it.

However, to set the grates on fire you'll need to pour magma on them, and the magma will destroy the contamination anyway, making the burning grates pointless.

Also, only artifact lignite grates will burn forever.  Normal lignite grates will eventually be destroyed by fire.

Hmm, interesting...would a burning lignite grate ignite a lignite grate next to it?  I'm wondering if some sort of fuse-type construction would be possible.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »

By the way, you could have just built a road and deconstructed it. That removes extracts from the tiles below the road. It also has the advantage that it can be done from several tiles away. Just make sure your dorfs don't stand too close.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 05:52:14 pm »

Magma-fication of the airlock and caverns in progress!

My first attempt failed somewhat, as I expected gravity to be adequate to flow the magma out of the side of the magma pipe... it was insufficient, and the magma was spreading out and evaporating more quickly than gravity was moving it in.

So I drained that tube out, made a small cistern, and build three dwarf-powered screw-pumps to force the magma in... this is working *much* better.

In the intervening time three new Forgotten Beasts had shown up so I chained up a bunch of spare puppies and kittens inside the airlock the lure them in before I dumped the magma on their heads.  This worked to great effect.

--nomad_delta

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 06:11:29 pm »

Aren't FB's immune to magma?

CHECK THE AIRLOCK NOW D:

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 06:26:24 pm »

We need a thermal shock mechanic...that way we can make magma-immune FB's explode on demand in a cloud of burning infectious toxic blood/ichor/rock salt/whatever.

Bad for fortress health, but possibly a decent weapon if confined and channelled correctly.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:29 pm »

Aren't FB's immune to magma?

Some are, some aren't.  Forgotten beasts made of flesh tend to be killed by magma.  Forgotten beasts made of meltable materials - non magma-safe stone and metal - will melt in magma.  On the other hand, forgotten beasts made from magma-safe stone, gem, or metal, or most of the hard-coded materials like grime or mud, will laugh at magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 [2]