Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 13: In which there aren't muffin pans.  (Read 26156 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 8: Meet the Jeeves
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2012, 10:40:45 pm »

"Contrary to popular opinion I do not wander around town in a yellow dress with high heels. I'm mad, not a crossdressing crime to fashion." Derek got a pained look on his face as he grabbed a nearby welder. "These really, really hurt by the way. I have no idea what your gender sees in these."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:45:55 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:23 pm »

Think of all the productive things that I could be doing and wonder where exactly I am at this point.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:39 am »

Oh yes. I have brought a cliche storm down upon our collective heads.
Time to whip out my maniacal laughter. 
... I wonder what other tropes I'll manage to cram in?

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2012, 12:26:54 am »

24 hours until FFS is NPC'd. 12 Hours until I send a PM to check.
Just as a heads up.
(And yes. I am double posting. again. With trivial info. Because I can. [and because edits don't actually send alerts to people's inboxes.])

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:57 am »

Can you NPC me for the turn after this one? I haven't had access to the Internet at all in two days and probably won't for another two/three.

Listen to Jasper. Attempt to learn from him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:22:22 am by freeformschooler »

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 9
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

Turn 9: In which they learn of things to come.

Actions:
--------

Attempt to build a gun that shoots spinning metal discs that I can channel my electricity through.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(6) You hit things with a wrench for awhile, and somehow create a gun capable of channeling your electricity through it and also of shooting serrated metal disks. In fact, it works so well you could probably shoot electrified disks, instead of just one or the other. Of course, in the process you manage to hammer your thumb several times, and it's pretty sore. No more precision crafting for you until it heals.

"What are you talking about, Snarf? What's a Magical Girl? What powers? What other talismans? Whaaaaat!?!"

(5) Jasper glares at you before answering,
"You are apparently still shocked by all this, so I will answer your questions. Call me Jasper, though. Please." You might have upset him alittle, but he continues anyway. "A "Magical Girl" is a young woman whom fate has, through happenstance or outside agency, supplied with seemingly supernatural abilities. My creator was attempting to duplicate these powers, and by all appearances has succeeded. Unfortunately something happened, I am not sure what, and the laboratory exploded, scattering the talismans he created throughout the city."
Jasper pauses here for a moment, seeming to clear his mind of the shock, before continuing.
"According to my records, 7 Talismans had been successfully completed, with several others being faulty, or incomplete models. Only the completed ones survived the explosion, as I was only able to pick up their energy signatures. Unfortunately, by attaching to a living host, the energy becomes untraceable unless it is openly used. Which, incidentally, is how I was able to find you tonight. The talismans that are not present here are the talisman of water, and of ice, respectively. Those are the best answers I can give, miss, and now I have a question of my own. What are your names?"

"What do you know about these things"
Jasper seems to shrug (surprising given his body), before glancing at you and responding. "I do not know much about the item itself, but I could tell you much of the abilities it bestows. That was what I was created for, after all. What, specifically, do you wish to be told of?

Think of all the productive things that I could be doing and wonder where exactly I am at this point.

(5) You know exactly where you are in the city, and how to get back home if you so choose. You also know it's getting very late indeed, and that the most productive thing you'd be doing right now if not for the gem on your arm would be sleeping.

Listen to Jasper. Attempt to learn from him.
(3) You listen to what Jasper has to say, but can't think of anything you want to know right off the top of your head.

---------------------
Spoiler:  The Monk12 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Tersr (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Freeformschooler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Sidekick: Jasper
-----------------------------------
Alright, FFS. I'll NPC you after the obligatory 3 days. If you manage to get your turn out before then, no worries, but I won't actually post a reminder after 2 days like usual.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 9: Learning and exposition!
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

I'm still in the park right? Not at all by Jeeves?
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

"My name? Oh dear me, you don't know?" Derek grins. "Oh I never get to do this often enough."

Turn off the lights.

"I am the man behind the machines! The grand inventor! The scientist behind all innovations big or small! I am!"

Hit the atmospheric Tesla coil activation switch.

"Derek! Crafter of creation, Lord of Lightning, apparent part time crossdresser and ringleader of this merry band! Muhahahahahahaha! BEHOLD!"

Fire a test shot (Combined) of the gun at a nearby testing dummy.

(Yes that's three actions, but most of them are just flavor.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:16:30 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

"My name is Valia Corset. I have a few questions. What was that wretched monster that attacked one of us earlier? Did you see that?"

Valia thinks, then backtracks.

"And you mentioned 'outside agency' in the list of ways to become a magical girl... does this mean there have been more than just us five/seven in the past? What happened to them?"

Action: Attempt to coerce Jasper into producing this information if he/she's not up-front about it.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:16 pm »

I'm still in the park right? Not at all by Jeeves?
Everyone was hi-jacked persuaded to team up by an epic Social success roll by Valia in turn 7. So you are, in fact, in the same room as Jasper. And the others.
... I was amazed at how convenient it was.

"Derek! Crafter of creation, Lord of Lightning, apparent part time crossdresser and ringleader of this merry band! Muhahahahahahaha!"
Unless anyone objects, this makes derm the leader.
I really hope someone objects.  :o Nothing good can come of this.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »

I'd much rather be a cat than cat-herder; derm can be voice of the party if he feels like it :P

"You can call me Tina, and my last name is none of your concern. Who is your creator, and why was he making these Talismans? Did he survive the explosion?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

'This may not be going well...' Nessara thought. Either Derek was a madman in a yellow coat or just showing off, in a yellow coat. It was pretty good though.

"I am Nessara, last name doesn't matter where I'm from. Just the first."

She turned to Jasper and stared at it(?) in the eyes. "If you did say that you could locate the wielders when they were used, could you do the same to the other two? And, maybe lead us to that lab, the one that blew up?"

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »

"So besides I guess training, how can we increase our magic abilities?" Also find a nice place to sit.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 10
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:07 am »

As noone besides derm actually did anything, only one action roll happened this turn. Naturally, (especially since it's Derm), it's a 6. ... Damnit, Derm. On the other hand, now you all know if you have something that uses two modifiers, I'll always use the more extreme.

Turn 10: In which they sit and talk. Except for Derek.

Talking:
-------
"My name is Valia Corset. I have a few questions. What was that wretched monster that attacked one of us earlier? Did you see that?"
Valia thinks, then backtracks.
"And you mentioned 'outside agency' in the list of ways to become a magical girl... does this mean there have been more than just us five/seven in the past? What happened to them?"

"I cannot say I did see anything like that." Jasper replies,
"If I had, I would have greeted you than, instead of waiting. As to your other question, I do not have any concrete records, but my creator listed "Divine gifts", "The Devil", and "Witches" as potential sources of the abilities required. ... Along with several more outlandish claims, which are not particularly relevant."

"You can call me Tina, and my last name is none of your concern. Who is your creator, and why was he making these Talismans? Did he survive the explosion?"
Jasper sighs, seeming alittle forlorn before answering, "My creator never specifically told me his name, as he did not deem it necessary information. He was sure he would be introduced to any test subjects before testing could begin, which would have been long before I was to be introduced. As to why he was making these Talismans, I believe partially to prove he could. The other portion was more directly to aid in the detention or destruction of harmful forces to the City. I was not with him when the explosion occurred, so I do not know whether he survived, let alone where he might be."

"If you did say that you could locate the wielders when they were used, could you do the same to the other two? And, maybe lead us to that lab, the one that blew up?"
"I could locate the other two quite easily, but only if they were to activate the Talismans. They have yet to, so I am completely in the dark. Fortunately for you, I doubt my services will be required to discover the location of the laboratory. The smoke cloud will last for at least another 15 hours, and will lead you right to it."

"So besides I guess training, how can we increase our magic abilities?"
Jasper seems to have brightened up considerably, to finally be on the subject he was designed for.
"There are several ways to augment your capabilities. The first is quite simply to improve the quality of the components within the talisman, but careless tinkering could lead to energy leakage or surges. I believe one of you is already aware of this? The second would be to utilise external focii, as Derek is currently attempting, as a way of channeling the energy through a passive medium, allowing a more specific, and more focused, use. The third way I was informed of was to bond a trinket to the talisman, increasing the power available as well as improving overall function. However, that should only be attempted when you have mastered your current capabilities."

Actions:
--------
Fire a test shot (Combined) of the gun at a nearby testing dummy.
(8) After your over the top theatrical activities in simply saying your name, you proceed to prove you're more then just talk. Testing your new and highly experimental weapon, the shuriken you fire nearly completely eviscerate the target before the electrical charge they contain bursts out and the dummy is completely destroyed. The shuriken shatter apart, however, and shrapnel sprays the room. You realize you probably used a bit too much energy that time as you duck and cover.

Shuriken shrapnel burst: (3)
Tina: (4)
Paul: (5)
Valia: (6)
Nessara: (5)
Derek: (2)
Jasper: (3)
Almost all of you immediately react and, one way or another, shield yourselves from the rain of razor metal.
The only ones who don't are Derek, too stunned by the power of his own creation to realize what just happened, and Jasper, who is apparently safe behind everyone else.

Spoiler:  The Monk12 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Tersr (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Freeformschooler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Sidekick: Jasper

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Steampunk Magical Girl Turn 10: Talking, Derming, and ducking.
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:16 am »

((Asking for information doesn't count as an action? Derm truly wins.))

Nessara nodded as Jasper noted down the effects of tinkering with the talisman
but careless tinkering could lead to energy leakage or surges. I believe one of you is already aware of this?

"That would be me, I didn't know that you could fix it though.

"On that note, you did say we all experience a change when we do..umm...activate it right? Why didn't I?"

Before waiting for an answer, she turned to face Derek.

"Would our glorious ringleader accept the quest to search out the smoke?" she said, with a small smile.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13