Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Old West or King Arthur?  (Read 8478 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Old West or King Arthur?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:30 pm »

Same here.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

fijkus

• Bay Watcher
  • "Reapers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:33 pm »

The issue here is that we don’t really see the ‘Mountainhomes’. All we see in Fortress mode are a group of Jamestown-esque settlers, motivated to move away from the presumed safety and comfort of home for who knows what reasons, trying to survive and thrive in an unsettled colony.

Personally, though, I put DF to be roughly between 1000 and 1400 AD if we’re comparing it to our history. We might even be able to push it as far as 1600 AD, though beyond that you start seeing things like the proliferation of black powder weapons.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 09:35:48 pm »

The issue here is that we don’t really see the ‘Mountainhomes’. All we see in Fortress mode are a group of Jamestown-esque settlers, motivated to move away from the presumed safety and comfort of home for who knows what reasons, trying to survive and thrive in an unsettled colony.

Personally, though, I put DF to be roughly between 1000 and 1400 AD if we’re comparing it to our history. We might even be able to push it as far as 1600 AD, though beyond that you start seeing things like the proliferation of black powder weapons.

You are putting it in the age of steel, it doesn't really belong there.  Only dwarves have access to steel and it is kind of a super metal. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:57 pm »

It pretty much was a super metal as far as the pre-industrial world was concerned. You can't exactly make decent bronze longswords afterall.

I consider the most appropriate time for it to occur to be the dark ages or earlier, but it's true that it doesn't fit at all on our timeline. An upside-down fantasy game devoid of the fantastic and graceful and filled with the horrible and insane, trapped pretty much in late bronze-age/early dark ages european society is more like it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 02:46:44 pm »

I would put DF as a mixture of the Old West and Medieval times. Medieval kingdoms are sending out pioneers to colonise new lands and dig for precious metals and such.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 10:37:16 pm »

I would put DF as a mixture of the Old West and Medieval times. Medieval kingdoms are sending out pioneers to colonise new lands and dig for precious metals and such.

I don't see how that's as much a mixture as "just the medieval times"

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 11:30:36 pm »

You need to study some more history.  From 1000-1400 AD kingdoms all over the world were basically all about colonization (i.e., killing the other dudes and taking their land).  Except for China, which figured they already had all the awesome parts of the world and weren't really interested in the rest.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »

You need to study some more history.  From 1000-1400 AD kingdoms all over the world were basically all about colonization (i.e., killing the other dudes and taking their land).  Except for China, which figured they already had all the awesome parts of the world and weren't really interested in the rest.

Thats perfectly true. Especially the part where they were killing everyone and taking their land. Which is exactly why it's NOT like dwarf fortress. In dwarf fortress, they are already dead. Like the Old West. Its sad, but by the time of the settlers most of the native tribes had begun to die out.  Sort of like goblins do in dwarf fortress.  We aren't actually invading another dwarven fort and taking it over. Though that IS a cool idea...
Playing since 2007

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 09:36:02 am »

I think its set in the distant future.  The dwarves are basically advanced zerg colonies.  They arrive in small numbers, dig in underground, and immediately begin stripping the land of all valuable resources which they consume in a massive orgy of breeding, quickly outpacing any local life forms.  To make matters worse, waves of zerg immigrants quickly begin appearing onsite and immediately join the cancerous conflux of the dwarven fortress.  Soon, everything is dead, and the mountain home dispatches small bands in all directions, to begin the process anew until the face of the world is stripped bare and the entire planet is one festering, pulsating catacomb of dwarfdom. 

Just wait until they discover rocketry.  The Protoss have no chance. 

All your forts are belong to us.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:37:52 am by daggaz »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »

I already have, mate. It just doesn't feel like that to me though. I know colonisation has been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years, I just think it doesn't feel like killing people and stealing their land. As Armelon said, they're already dead. We're just moving in.

I would say the game has a greater affinity with the pioneers of the old west than, say, the imperialism of the Mongols or the Normans and Saxons coming to the British Isles and taking what they wanted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »

I already have, mate. It just doesn't feel like that to me though. I know colonisation has been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years, I just think it doesn't feel like killing people and stealing their land. As Armelon said, they're already dead. We're just moving in.

I would say the game has a greater affinity with the pioneers of the old west than, say, the imperialism of the Mongols or the Normans and Saxons coming to the British Isles and taking what they wanted.

So is this like an advanced Polynesian civilisation taking over an empty world?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 07:34:35 am »

So is this like an advanced Polynesian civilisation taking over an empty world?

On that note, building moai seems like a pretty dwarfy thing to do.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:22 am »

I would like to see DF in ancient Greek style where every city/polis was a country on its own

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »

I second the moai.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:03 pm »

I get more of an antiquity than a middle age/dark age sword and sorcery vibe from the game. Which is weird considering all the elves and dragons and such running around, but there's a few reasons.

Dwarven Pantheons, Gods which belong to "spheres", resembles an ancient indo-european model.

Megaprojects made out of stone, such as grand statues, towers, and tombs were a reality. They also used much more of the natural landscape in their architecture, things like Abu Simbel, the tombs at Persepolis, or the Ajanta Caves in India look much more suited to being built by a dwarf than a typical medieval castle, for example.

Migration, as some people have noted, was really prevalent, especially around the Mediterranean. Particularly the Greeks, where a group of people would head off and found a new semi-autonomous city state.

All the notable industries in dwarf fortress were present, except for advanced metalworking.

I'm not really going to argue its designed with that time period in mind, 800BC - 400AD or so; you can see Toady using medieval towns for reference in the next patch.  It's fantasy after all, drawn from a bunch of different sources, but its still fun to compare.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:44:56 pm by orrey »
Pages: 1 2 [3]