Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Old West or King Arthur?  (Read 8477 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Old West or King Arthur?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:04 am »

I see all Dwarfs as germans. :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:42 am »

I believe this isnt placeable in OUR timeline. I mean, look.

Candy. Clowns. The circus. The rocs, dragons and such. This is more of a mix between Tolkien and DnD, the way I see it.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 06:56:41 am »

Most people describe DF as a 'Fantasy' game, but everyone should know by know that its a little bit removed from the regular fantasy genre.  So I started thinking, if I had to put Dwarf Fortress somewhere in our history, where would I put it? For me, Dwarf Fortress reminds me more of an Old West style game than King Arthur.  It has a settlement and migration feel to it, with a 'roughin' it' kind of a style.  Course, its a little different than playing Cowboys and Indians. I like to imagine all the little Dwarflets playing Dwarfmen and Gobbos as they grow up.

What's your opinion?

In reality the old west was actually very peaceful.

The streets of Boston were BY far worse.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:04:28 am »

Sometimes the game gives me more of an Old West sort of vibe, or more like a more generic American pioneering sort of vibe.  You're trying to make a home for yourself before winter sets in and the wolves/cougars/grizzly bears get hungry.   And the default music makes that vibe stronger.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:36 am »

Well you very rarely see the whole story in a fantasy and if you do it's almost always from a human perspective. You'll see the glorious underground fortress that the dwarves built thousands of years ago but you won't see the first couple guys strike the earth. You'll see dwarves eat meat but you won't see them hunt, they'll have booze but you won't see the farms, you see the caste system but you don't see nobles cry about not having fancy enough stuff. The way I see it Dwarf fortress is all about what actually happens behind the fantasy.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:40 am »

I see it as fantasy by way of Early Medieval.  I like to imagine that even plate isn't actually full late period plate, but just plate parts on chainmail.  These are the sort of dwarves who would have looked at the Norman invasion of England as a contemporary.  And its definately fantasy without the cheerful parts... I mean the only race that isn't just focused on burning expansion at the risk of nature are the elves, and they eat people.

In fact, the elves are my favorite departure... I imagine them as warpainted maniacs driven mad by dark gods.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:28 am »

Let me answer that with this: Clowns and the circus.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:00 am »

You give me an idea though. A mod where instead of dwarves you're humans, instead of goblins you have native americans, and mod out the fantastical stuff and there you go, Oregon Trail revisited, now with more carnage!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:22 am »

You cant mod out demons, FBs, titans, or night creatures. Neither can you change the fact that these guys will be said to have come from the Mountainhomes.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »

You can get remove them by advanced worldgen... not that mountainhome thing tho.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:33 pm »

DF definitely gives me a Sword&Sorcery vibe. More so I'm sure when we get necromancy.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »

They always struck me as more Norse than anything else--sort of a pre-ragnarock time, with spiteful and/or "fun" gods, and horrible creatures everywhere, and a harsh life.  Mind you, the dwarves, despite appearing to be from the dung ages, can certainly build some remarkable monuments.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:43 pm »

My dwarven children seem to enjoy playing "Elf Chase".  The game plays when one child is chosen/volunteers, and the others chase that child down, and then mercilessly beat them to death with their bare fists.

The strangest part is, most volunteer for it...

Either way, I see it more bronze-age than anything.  We're going way back.

I'd say Iron age,  Roman Empire style.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »

My dwarven children seem to enjoy playing "Elf Chase".  The game plays when one child is chosen/volunteers, and the others chase that child down, and then mercilessly beat them to death with their bare fists.

The strangest part is, most volunteer for it...

Either way, I see it more bronze-age than anything.  We're going way back.

I'd say Iron age,  Roman Empire style.

I'd say bronze age, Sparta-esque cheese run style.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:51 pm »

I would put DF around the Greek/Roman times. (Think Sparta)
Pages: 1 [2] 3