Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Space men  (Read 3411 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space men
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »

Of course it fits in, Armok could be a alien! They are Space men to us but they can be mythcal spirits or something like that in the game.

You mean like Fair Folk?

Gah. Modern pop-culture fairies with their friendly attitudes and such nonsense. I prefer fairies of the 'steal-your-children-and-ruin-your-crops' variety.

Goblins, in other words.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:49:44 pm »

Of course it fits in, Armok could be a alien! They are Space men to us but they can be mythcal spirits or something like that in the game.

You mean like Fair Folk?

Gah. Modern pop-culture fairies with their friendly attitudes and such nonsense. I prefer fairies of the 'steal-your-children-and-ruin-your-crops' variety.

Goblins, in other words.

*Shrugs* I guess.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:03 pm »

wow. Goblins with wings... Harpies.... I dono. Well DF already has zombies, elves, elephant filled backpacks and eternal motion engine factories powering mega computers meant to calculate the equation of two plus two so...

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »

wow. Goblins with wings... Harpies.... I dono. Well DF already has zombies, elves, elephant filled backpacks and eternal motion engine factories powering mega computers meant to calculate the equation of two plus two so...
My disdain for you grows.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »

I oppose this on principle as well. The simple fact, every dwarf knows, is that the moon up there and all its other strata spheric friends, were all mastercrafts made by a legendary dwarf cheese maker in a farm.  Hence, anything originating from those moons must be dwarfskind, not mankind. 

Every dwarf also knows humans and elfs are way too unsophisticated to explore space or travel to and from it.  Only a dwarf posessesses that extraordinary capability.  If anything were to come from space, I would hope it would atleast leave a crater of a 20 block diameter.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:25 am »

Like they dig too deep and fall out the other side.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

Maybe, instead of from space, we could have settlements of demons/angels/squid/whatever that are here to observe, and have access to powerful magic/technology/whatever, but don't try to expand, just to protect themselves, that might appear and/or disappear before or during worldgen. I can imagine a rift to Hell opening near a dwarven settlement, and the dwarves fighting a war to defeat the mighty hordes of Hell...it is glorious.

I oppose this on principle as well. The simple fact, every dwarf knows, is that the moon up there and all its other strata spheric friends, were all mastercrafts made by a legendary dwarf cheese maker in a farm.  Hence, anything originating from those moons must be dwarfskind, not mankind.[/url]
Don't be ludicrous! Only stone and metal can last as long and perfectly as the sun(s??) and moon(s?) have! Therefore, the moon is made of marble or something, and the sun is gold or maybe limonite.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:46 am »

I don't like this idea because it look kind of, erm, ungrounded!
All those spacemen - where are they supposed to come from? If they are to be generated from thin air then it's a bad thing for DF i guess. No good having a world simulator generate something just because of some randomish numbers popped this way not the other.
We see DF is developing toward a more complete simulation, where even hostile armies will have to actually be recruited, armed and move their way toward your fortress in order to invade. And now this spaceship appearing just because it's 1326188499 UTC now? that seems to me like ruining the spirit of accurate simulation.

It would be different if their another world was to be generated and simulated as well, but then how would it be different (barring the names) from just nother region of the map(which is here already) or another magical dimension (which is planned)?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:17 am »

We all know what would really happen if ever something as rare as an alien appeared in a Dwarf Fortress like world...

They'd be shot dead, and their bones would later be sold because they'd be extremely valuable.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

While I have nothing wrong with "Space" being a legitimate location in dwarf fortress where other creatures could exist.

Spacemen don't seem to contribute anything possitive to the overall experience.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:47 am »

I oppose this on principle as well. The simple fact, every dwarf knows, is that the moon up there and all its other strata spheric friends, were all mastercrafts made by a legendary dwarf cheese maker in a farm.  Hence, anything originating from those moons must be dwarfskind, not mankind. 
You're almost right. All of reality is in fact a 9 layer cake wrought by the finest cakesmith in the known universe who, in a fit of raw creation, baked a cake so supremely magnificent that the universe itself felt a bit shabby by comparison and swapped places with it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »

The idea has merit, but it would be better as a mod rather than the actual game, as is it doesn't really fit into the atmosphere of the game

And we're back to this point.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:08 am »

Basically, one things that make roguelikes fun are rare, random locations, items and creatures.
If these spacemen were INSANELY rare then sure, It would be a welcome addition, all roguelikes need cool ULTRA rare things to find.

Also, includes bragging rights for having seen, and being killed by it!
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »

Sounds like a suitable mod idea, but a terrible idea for vanilla game.

I see the world of Dwarf Fortress to be what the medieval people thought the world to be like. Don't go out at dark or the bogeymen will get you, bury the dead or they will come to haunt you, these were just "common knowledge" at the time.

In fact, aliens and bogeymen/trolls have a lot in common, anthropology wise. Both are well known despite no evidence of them, both are sighted at nighttime or in fog, by lone, scared individuals. Whereas modern people don't believe in little people living in the forest, little people coming from space is the new scary frontier. If Dwarf Fortress had aliens, I doubt the people of the world would understand them that way. The player would, and that would be as silly as finding a flashlight and a battery.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

What about mysterious underground civs putting outposts on the surface? Like a drow raiding party (To use a somewhat stereotypical example) or something like that.

I Like that idea, personally... Maybe not... Drow, but more ancient things.. that aren't elves. Say maybe corrupted Dwarves. After all, elves can't dig, even dark elves. They just make wooden things out of magic. and carry elephants on donkeys. (and probably released the elephants on boatmurdered) Or something else entirely.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack
Pages: 1 [2] 3