Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tomb = dwarven closet  (Read 2527 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Tomb = dwarven closet
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:01 pm »

I've noticed that if you assign a dwarf a tomb, they will eventually store their stuff in there, especially if you have a lot of puny rooms and owned clothing all over the place. Plus it makes them happy.  Or something like that.

this is just a speculation from a newbie player though.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb = dwarven closet
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:47:36 pm »

Well, it's like how Egyptians buried their important dead with their stuff.  Our dorfs are just... proactive about it.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »

The Egyptians were pretty proactive, too, IIRC. A rich man might spend a good deal of his wealth preparing his tomb during his lifetime.

I think a tomb must be something like a dwarf's personal monument, like, "Hey, here's what I did during my lifetime. See, future generations, I amounted to something!" Even if that "something" tends to be about three dozen pig-tail fiber socks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »

This is a feature, Dwarves are buried with their items. Given Fortress mortality rates, they're getting ready :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:25:48 pm »

And yet curiously, all items loose possession upon death, hence the infamous "everyone die trying to claim that sock outside" scenario.  So while they will stock their tomb with their own items, once they die, they're valid targets for grave robbers before they're even put in the coffin!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

I usually erase grave robbers from existence. That is the only crime I deem worse than being an elf, and thus not even worth the dignity of magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:31 pm »

Not if you end the Dwarf's life in his/her tomb. Protect the possessions eh? :P

*Also, lose, not loose D:

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »

Aren't those usually family members trying to claim their dead loved one's possessions? I thought they inherited stuff when their relatives died...

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:37:00 pm »

And yet curiously, all items loose possession upon death, hence the infamous "everyone die trying to claim that sock outside" scenario.  So while they will stock their tomb with their own items, once they die, they're valid targets for grave robbers before they're even put in the coffin!
Interesting. I thought items put in tombs were kept as possession. Hmmm, I may have to consider locking the tombs of Dwarves that are worth it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »

Set the game options to pause and/or zoom on death, so you'll know when someone dies.  Then you can move to their tomb and forbid everything before it gets claimed.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »

Eh, simply locking can lead to more FUN though. (Also do locked doors help the path-finding algorithm?).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

Yes, marginally helps pathfinding (depending on how big the tomb is), but more importantly, you can have their de-claimed tomb items claimed before you can lock the door.  Idle dwarves will claim things nigh-instantly, and the instant of death, the turn after may be filled with claiming loot.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »

Maybe if they had a chest they would stop filling their tombs with crap.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

Grave robbing is perfectly acceptable; waste not, it's not like the dwarf is going to need it anyway.
Well that would be the case if I didn't mod clothes out of existence.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »

Did they change this without anyone noticing recently? Last I knew (and still according to the wiki) "Dwarves that have been assigned to tombs will retain all of their possessions when they die, and other dwarves will place them in the tomb". So yes dwarves without tombs will lose all of their possessions, but dwarves with tombs get to keep everything when they die.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2