Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn XI  (Read 10206 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn V
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2012, 07:21:26 am »

Woodland Road, near Bartelsberg

Fighting their doubts, the group follows Jacques into the woods. The road, though oddly snaking and twisting, has been hacked clear through the woods and they soon lose most of their apprehension. The old driver babbles on happily, unbothered by having to leave his carriage behind. The smells and scents of a forest just after rain are quite refreshing and the hunters take their time walking.

After a while, something in the brush beside them attracts Viktor's attention. Looking closer, he realizes it's the remains of a deer, mutilated and torn apart and scattered in the vegetation. [3+1=4] The wound and markings hint at a bear or another forest beast, but if so, it must've been in some strange killing frenzy to make this much damage. [6+2=6] The rain has washed away much of the tracks, but Viktor can still make out the paw of a large wolf heading into the woods. He memorizes the spot and rejoins the group.

Bartelsberg

It doesn't take long for them to reach the other edge of the forest and arrive on a hill overlooking the village of Bartelsberg. It's a small patch of buildings huddled closely together below, with outlying farms and a windmill scattered around to the north. The group can make out a small church and Jacques is happy to share the rest of the sights. There are two taverns in town, but he recommends the Bartelsberg Alehouse which is apparently owned by his old friend. You can see a few people milling about, doing whatever their dull lives demand.

Spoiler: micelus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Theifofdreams (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lawastooshort (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: vagel7 (click to show/hide)

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn VI
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

"This one looks like it will do for tonight, don't you think?"

Check out the recommended tavern. Stay there if it is adequate and ask the tavern owner if he knows anything about the recent murder. See if I can acquire a sturdy walking stick from somewhere. If not, a blunderbuss, why not. Or even both.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:15:19 pm by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2012, 11:32:37 am »

Regina sighed wearily. Civilization! In a way. She again wondered why she was here...she happened to glance over at Alexandre and reminded herself it wouldn't be an entirely boring mission...

She pointed to the battered steeple in the distance. Her eyes were sharp-it looked to her like the Cross jutting from the roof was slightly askew, and no one had bothered to fix it. That was certainly odd.

"Indeed. Can you secure us a room and board, Mr. D'Oberlin? My first inclination is visit that small church over there. In my experience, the local priest always seems to know a little bit of everything. Including things he should not know.

I suggest we stay in no more than two groups at any one time, and no one person should be alone-these locals will no doubt be doubly mistrustful of outsiders. Let us all agree to meet back at the Bartelsberg Alehouse in two hours time, no matter what-agreed?"

She brought out and tapped her tiny silver pocket watch for emphasis. A clever person would have made out an small inscription on the face of the watch, written in flowing script- E.J.B

Action: Head down with the rest of the group, then split up and investigate the Church.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:50:32 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2012, 04:17:22 pm »

Well, if anyone wants to form a group that stays at the tavern to have a beer before going to the sturdy walking stick shop...

I am open to other suggestions, but I could do with some kind of rudimentary melee weapon. Or gun. A blunderbuss?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »

"Yes, my lady...I come with you to church."

Not a mosque, but its close enough.

Head to the church.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2012, 08:26:02 am »

Bartelsberg was a small village, a place probably filled with superstition.

"Could you also acquire me a room in the tavern, preferably facing the moon during the night, if possible, Doctor? I will be accompanying Regina to the church."

Waiting till everybody went their merry way he asked Regina what the carving on the watch means.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »

Regina looked at Alexandre mistrustfully for a moment, then relented.

"It was my husbands. Eduard-Jean Boulanger. He died in the war-all they sent me back was this watch. It was a long time ago..."

She sighed, and turned away from him.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »

Following Regina's advice, and having nothing in particular to do, Viktor stays with Hippolyte.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:12 am »

The group slits up to two, Viktor and d'Oberlin heading down to the Alehouse with Jacques and the others deciding to pay a visit to the church. The scents and smells of villages float up to meet them, accompanied by children and those with nothing better to do. Some of them seem to recognize Jacques, but are more excited by the rest of you. A few of them follow Viktor and the surgeon all the way to the inn.

The Bartelsberg Alehouse

The inn proves to be, at first sight, as the pair near it, a sturdy two-story structure built of worn wood and stone with an inviting glow in its windows and smoke from its chimney. It seems clean and spacious enough for their needs. On the opposite side of the road, a ramshackle-looking building boasts the name of the Huntsman's Lodge. The windows are too stained to see through and a drunk lies in the street before it, fast asleep.

Inside, long tables and benches are scattered unevenly across the chamber floor, ripples of laughter and drunken boasting carrying clear to their ears. A grim-faced man oversees the patrons from below the stairs to the second floor and a lone servant girl rushes around to bring ale and food to the guests. The scents emanating from the right-side doorway hint at the presence of a kitchen.  The people here seem to be townspeople, with few if any travellers - unsurprising, really. Jacques stumbles over to the bar desk. The pair can see his confused expression has returned.

As they watch, the grim-faced man calls the girl over with a sharp word and continues in the same manner, shouting at her until she seems on the verge of crying. Then he stops, shakes his head and storms into the back.

[6] Getting the attention of the servant girl by nearly stumbling into another guest and spilling his drink, d'Oberlin tries not to look the other man's way as she comes around.

'Yes?' she asks. 'What can I get you?'

The Church

The local church is a small stone building, but inside seems quite fine enough for a village congregation. Benches are laid in six lines and there's a raised sermon box of fine red cloth and gold. The chandeliers are of the same material, and quite out in the open - it's a wonder no-one's stolen them yet.

Locating the priest does not prove difficult. A wiry, elderly figure wheezing and gasping for breath appears from the back rooms, straining to hold a pile of books. He calls out when he spots you.

'Hello! Err... could you possibly help me with these a bit, dear? I swear, these things are getting heavier each year.' he says, dropping the pile on the floor with a thud. He swipes sweat off his brow with the sleeve of his robe.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:32:01 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn VII
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:13 am »

"Mademoiselle, have you got five rooms for the night? Maybe longer, I'm not sure if my companions plan to stay. If you do, I hope that we will be able to dine this evening. In the meantime, please, fetch me some bread, some cheese, and a bottle of your local red. Two glasses. Also, do you know where I might be able to find a walking stick in town? I seem to have forgotten mine..."

I suggest we don't ask the servant girl or anyone local about the murders yet until we're at least settled down...

((I'm not sure what to do for an action yet though beyond this))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

Regina nodded to the Priest who addressed her and smiled. She quickly picked up at least half of the burden, piling them up in both arms.

"I've got them...where did these need to go, Sir?"

Regina fluttered her eyes disarmingly at priest, sneaking a peek, and looking at the covers of the books while she did so.

((Same with me. This is an RP-information gathering turn I believe. Unless he's a crazy Priest. At least one of us should remain ready for any sudden surprises. :P))

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

Making sure that nothing about any pagan beliefs shows on his body Alex moves to the other half of the burden and tking a look at the covers, picks them up.

"I shall have the other half then. Tell me, has anything interesting happened in the village lately, or will be happening?"

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »

"Sausage too." Viktor adds before glancing around the room, trying to check each of the other guests.

((I'm not sure what to do for an action yet though beyond this))
((You think you're having trouble? Poor Viktor is completely out of his depth with this. Mostly I'm just going to be able to follow along and try not to look too foolish, until most of the social activity is resolved.))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »

Aydin took a few moments to understand what exactly the priest had said, and before he could do what he should have done, the woman picked up the books herself. He shrugged and tried to read the titles of the books.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 06:12:45 am »

The Church

"I've got them...where did these need to go, Sir?"

'Oh, thank you, thank you. Put them down up there, will you, dear?' the priest says, placing a wavering hand to support his back. He lets out a theatrical groan of exertion. 'I'm too old and poor for this kind of work. Oh, I used to have an assistant, but he's stopped coming around, poor thing. I can barely get up the stairs to ring the bells these days. Father Ebner, at your service.'

His new helpers take a look at the book covers, but they seem harmless enough, religious works and records he seems to intend to use in his next sermon.

The monster hunter stuffs his ankh and symbols inside his shirt and cuts in. "Tell me, has anything interesting happened in the village lately, or will be happening?"

[4+1=5] The priest is silent for a moment. He shakes his head sadly. 'You haven't heard, have you? One of the village girls has been murdered. It's terrible, just terrible. The roads just aren't safe anymore.' he says. 'The funeral is tomorrow. They... brought the body here. It is not something anyone should have to see.'

Another sad shake of the head accompanies the sentence. 'But I am sure you will find Bartelsberg most hospitable regardless. What brings you to my humble abode?'

Bartelsberg Alehouse

D'Oberlin smiles politely to the servant girl.

"Mademoiselle, have you got five rooms for the night? Maybe longer, I'm not sure if my companions plan to stay. If you do, I hope that we will be able to dine this evening. In the meantime, please, fetch me some bread, some cheese, and a bottle of your local red. Two glasses. Also, do you know where I might be able to find a walking stick in town? I seem to have forgotten mine..."

[2+2=4] The servant girl bows her head. 'I'm sorry, sir, but we are almost full. We only have two spare rooms at the moment, but more beds can be brought in if that is what you need. And there's another inn in town, but it's not... very nice.' she says. At the last request, she pauses to think. 'The carpenter's shop is right across the street. I hope you can find what you need there.'

She scurries off for the food, leaving the pair to think about room arrangements. It takes a while, but eventually she returns with a plate of bread, a slice of cheese, sausages and a dull, dusty bottle of wine. She pours the stuff into two ale mugs, looking faintly embarassed.

'Was there anything else you needed?'

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9