Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn XI  (Read 10214 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn II
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »

"Important. Alex, Tell of occult now. Need to know. Weak, strong, types. Prey. Lairs."
Viktor muttered impatiently. "Not wanting to hunt fox, find bear. ... And no more cow eyes at lady. Is... erg. not good?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »

Regina laughed a bit-maybe her only genuine laugh in a long time. Just a little too much wine, maybe.

"I assure you, good Viktor, I enjoy being admired. As long as I can admire a man back. And Sir Aruno is quite admirable, isn't he?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 06:40:01 pm »

Alex's mouth corners went down for a slight moment. He then stood up and walked to the window, looking at the beautiful moon that shed it's light on him. Swirling the wine in his glass he spoke to Regina.

"I understand you Regina, you have been hurt, maybe even a lot. You haven't felt warmth or known the feeling of being cared about for a long time. I was like you for a moment, taking suicidal jobs, ironically they are the ones that made me known. But believe me, I do care of you.

Smiling he turned the glass one last time before drinking the contents and putting the glass on the window still.Make it or brake it.

"Don't worry, you won't hurt me and I won't hurt you. There is perfect balance in the world, trust me."

Alex walked over to Regina and tenderly kissed her.

Dining place:

"Well, they are almost always vulnerable to head removal, items with religious power helps a lot and some of them are weak against silver. However, never blindly charge at one, play it smart."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:56 pm »

Regina resisted only long enough to realize she didn't hate him-it was surprising to her that she couldn't muster up any negative feelings at that moment. Perhaps he had softened her a bit.

Mistake, her mind warned-He'll never respect you now. None of them will-tomorrow he will brag of his easy conquest...he will hurt you...

She countered-Does it even matter? The mission will be completed soon-and who knows what will happen, and either way...I'll never see him again. Just like all the others. And how could he hurt her anymore than she had already been?

Regina decided to trust him. She allowed Alex to kiss her, and returned the kiss.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 09:18:53 am »

((As much as I hate to interrupt you, I'm sure you can continue in a flashback. >_>))

Jouef Inn

As the evening draws on, wine and cheap ale flows to the group in great quantities - as is food, which tastes beyond divine after weeks, or even months, of travel. They share their identities and pasts, perhaps setting the foundations of friendship or at least a working professional relationship. Eventually, after the crowd has long since disappeared from the lower floors, they retire to bed in their rooms - though Alexandre Aruno decides to study the Hammer of Witches instead and is soon joined by the diplomat Boulanger.

[3+1=4] Despite some... distractions, they do learn quite a deal about witches, atleast according to the outdated information in the book. Aruno helps fill out any blanks it leaves from his own experience. As always, though, there is still much to learn.

The night passes with some members of the team sleeping less than others, but all of them are ready to go when dawn finally comes. Jouef wakes up slowly, to the dull thunder of cannons from the garrison camp's practice yards. For now, nobody speaks of the growing threat of war. After paying for their stay at the inn - well in bounds of their imperial salary - they set out in search of the carriage driver mentioned in the letter, Jacques. There is only one carriage station in town and walking there doesn't take long, though the chilly autumn wind drags behind it a curtain of black clouds which gives enough reason for them to hurry.

Entering the building, they are quickly flanked by a pair of enthuastic youths who give them a thorough rundown of today's destinations before Regina tells them the group is looking for a driver called Jacques specifically.

The youths share a honestly confused look. 'I don't think we have anyone called that working for us, but-' he starts, but his companion interrupts him by whispering in his ear. He frowns, and then understanding dawns on his face.

'No, you can't mean...' he says, suppressing a snicker. The other whispers to him again and he replies in the same way, though the group catches a few words there and there. Eventually, the first youth shrugs and smiles again. He moves to the door and points.

'Right this way. Jacques Lavoie, definitely the best man for the job. Are you sure you don't want to reconsider taking one of our carriages instead?'

On the other side of the street stands something that the group deciphers as a wooden carriage only after a good minute of studying, a rotting mess missing a wheel and with a half-collapsed passenger section, pulled on by two horses that seem to have died years ago but no-one noticed. Next to them sits an old man with a bewildered expression, twitching at everyone who walks past. His clothes have been reduced to rags and the dirt on him is visible even from this far away. This can't be your man.

---

New Inhuman Knowledge Unlocked!

---

Spoiler: micelus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Theifofdreams (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lawastooshort (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: vagel7 (click to show/hide)

---

Further Witch knowledge will have to be learned from new sources of information or actually encountering them. Aruno can still roll for knowledge about anything else that comes to mind.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn III
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 09:41:45 am »

Alex looks at the carriage and the old man in pure confusion. Are you kidding me? Not turning from the carriage, he ask.

"Do then, I hope that this is some disguise, or does the emperor really transport his people with a carriage that looks like it is 200 years old?"

Walking to the man he speaks with him.

"Hello, Jacques Lavoie? We were told that you would take us to Bartelsberg."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 10:21:37 am »

((@Digital: We were about to do a curtain drop anyway. It shouldn't ever get enough to derail your game. :P ))

"Do then, I hope that this is some disguise, or does the emperor really transport his people with a carriage that looks like it is 200 years old?"

Regina followed along-maybe a little bit lighter of step this morning, far less formal than she was yesterday. She's also wearing a white shirt a few sizes too large for her, leather breeches and a travelling hat with a floppy brim, in the fashion of having hurriedly dressed for travel.

She shrugged. "Things are not always as they seem, Alex.

But sometimes, they are. And it doesn't seem like this carriage will get to the end of street, much less Bartelsberg."

She waited till Alex spoke to get the drivers attention, and looked into the back of carriage...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

Although used to early and rude awakenings, Hippolyte wasn't much in the mood for small talk this morning. He let Alex talk with the apparent coach driver

If it is indeed the right one, once everyone gets in, the doctor will ask the driver if he minds him mounting beside him on the top of the carriage, if possible.

"How long have you work the roads around here, monsieur? Know anything about the poor victim who was murdered?"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »

Somethind doesn't feel right...

"If it not bothers you, what year did you start this...enterprise, monsiuer?"

Whispering he also said, "I don't like this. We be careful."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:17:22 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 04:29:46 pm »

"If this is indeed the right man, I don't think we have much choice. 'Tis the Emperor's orders, forsooth! Although I agree, I am beginning to have a sense of foreboding..." Hippolyte replies to Aydin, in outdated and broken Turkish.

While riding next to the driver, Hippolyte imperceptibly inspects him for any obvious physical or phrenological abnormalities, his mind set racing by Aydin's warning.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 05:53:14 pm »

"Very broken. Doubt. Still, orders."Viktor comments to the others in Turkish as broken and unintelligible as his French.
Check the carriage to make sure it won't fall apart on us, and after confirmation, carefully get in.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:49 am »

Jouef Town

"Hello, Jacques Lavoie? We were told that you would take us to Bartelsberg." Alexandre asks cautiously. The old man looks at him with a confused expression; then his face lights up and he begins shouting at the top of his lungs;

'My friends! Dear servants of the Emperor! Liberté, égalité, fraternité! I... I have been waiting for you!' he beams, standing up with wavering steps.

Alexandre shushes him quickly, not wanting to attract any more attention to them, but the man continues on. 'Bartelsberg, Bartelsberg! A true nest of evil! Yes, I still know where that is! I still have that! Oh, get in, get in, my friends. Bartelsberg awaits!'

While he's distracted, Regina takes a quick look at the back of the carriage but notices nothing abnormal, aside from the overall horrible shape of the thing. Despite their shared doubts, the rest of the group decides they have no choice but to board the vehicle, [2] though finding seats proves impossibly difficult. Hippolyte sits next to the driver while the others crowd together in the back.

"How long have you work the roads around here, monsieur? Know anything about the poor victim who was murdered?" the surgeon asks carefully. Jacques seems to have taken on an eternal smile and babbles on his response happily.

'Oh, how long has it been now? Twenty years? Thirty? I'm an old man, monsieur, and my memory just isn't what it used to be.' he frowns, looking confused again. 'Of course, I've... recently fallen on hard times. I think.'

Getting back his happy grin, he continues; 'Oh yes, that poor, poor girl. I'm afraid I didn't have the pleasure of personally knowing her, but I do know his brother. Poor man, he must be heartbroken. But with so many bandits and deserters on the roads these days, something like this was bound to happen. Ah, but I have no doubt she's in a better place now. A better place.'

[6] He takes out the reins and prepares to get the horses moving, but seems to remember something. He looks back in confusion and spots the missing wheel. 'Well, I'll be damned...' he mouths. 'Just a moment, my friends. I really must apologize for all these inconveniences.'

The driver jumps off the carriage and disappears inside the run-down house behind him, returning in a moment with a spare wheel. He begins working on hammering it on... and continues hammering it on for a good half an hour, rejecting all offers of assistance. A small crowd of curious villagers begins to gather around him, laughing and jeering both at him and the travellers idiotic enough to mount his carriage. Just before the group's patience reaches its end, the little old man lets out a shout of joy and hurries back to the reins.

'All done now. Shall we go?'

[3+1=4] Hippolyte has studied him all this time, but it's difficult to tell what's wrong with him. His strange mood swing when he saw you, faulty memory and confusion all point at some sort of mental damage, though it doesn't specifically resemble anything he's seen in the army. Physically, he's fine, if a bit on the thin side and by the smell of it hasn't seen a bath in the last few years.

---

Spoiler: micelus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Theifofdreams (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lawastooshort (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: vagel7 (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn IV
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:29 am »

Regina had taken a spot in the rear of the wagon, piled up against Alexandre. Eh, she could have chosen a worse spot.

"Yes, driver-shall we get on with it already? I believe the locals will start throwing rocks soon."

As the wagon began to move (hopefully) Regina would pose questions to the driver, trying to use her charm to get through his defenses. She had half a mind to believe the mans mania was a self defense mechanism-she had seen the same thing in some soldiers...

Action: Gather information-question the driver casually about Bartelsberg, what dangers he thinks are there.

She almost made small talk to her compatriots.

"Hardly the worst way I've had to travel...I once sailed across the Black Sea locked in a steamer trunk..."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 10:03:17 am »

"Bandits on the road?" Hippolyte will ask as they travel along.

Otherwise, he will travel whilst engaging the madman in gentle probing conversation, fascinated as he is by the man's evident disease of the mind. He'll also try to stay fairly alert regarding potential problems along the way.

Regarding which, once they get under way, having taken notice of the old man's mention of bandits and deserters, he will discretely advise his comrades to keep their arms loaded and to hand.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »

Stay quiet for the trip, but scan the surroundings every now and then.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9