Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn XI  (Read 10216 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Bonaparte's Hounds - Monster-hunting in the 19th century - Turn II
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:17 am »

Regina found herself increasingly distracted that night, pausing occasionally to draw shades and stare into the night. Maybe it was the chill in the air, or something else. Her food, what little she had eaten, tasted bland and unappetizing...and she had the feeling it was more than the poor skills of the local chef...all in all, Regina Boulanger was feeling unsettled. She hadn't felt like that in a long time, but it reminded her of the day in autumn. Long ago,

Sleep didn't come that night. Restless, she paced the halls of the inn. Eventually, she heard Alexandre Aruno moving about in room-apparently he couldn't sleep either. When she knocked, and was given permission to enter, she saw he was nursing a bottle of red wine, studying in his quarters an odd book by candlelight.

"Sir Aruno, do you mind if a lady keeps you company tonight? At least the half the night, I should say, to deny you the obvious suggestion."

She smiled, and found a chair beside him, but did not sit.

"I'm finding it difficult to sleep, myself. I could use some way to pass the time, better with a companion than to pace the halls alone.

What is that book you are reading, anyway? Is that some of the Occult knowledge you told me about? We could study it together..."

Action: Eat, drink and make merry...

Regina studies the Malleus Maleficarum alongside Alexandre if he agrees, afterwards.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »

Alexandre smiled, pouring Regina wine and moving closer to her. Through Alexandre's open white shirt she saw glimpses of an elaborate serpent tattoo on the left side of his chest. Handing her a glass he spoke.

"I hope that your secrets aren't keeping you up, a lovely lady like yourself shouldn't be be kept up at night against her will. You can call me Alexandre or Alex. The book is no secret, it is about witches, it might be a bit outdated, but it is good.

It seems to be that we can either study the book, or I can help you forget whatever it is that pains you."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »

Regina took the glass politely and sat down. Her eyes flicked down, taking in brief glimpses of the strange serpentine tattoo.

She turned her head to one angle when he spoke-looking out the window again, but still answering.

"...What makes you think something pains me...Alex?" She said a bit wistfully.

Regina thought Alexandre must have a good eye for emotions-most people didn't pick up on that so quickly, or passed it off as 'not their business'. For a spy, the worst enemy was an honest person, who had a fair measure of empathy and lack of self centeredness. Luckily those people tended to be rare.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

Alex took a seat next to her.

"Well for instance that melancholic look you have, I don't think that this is the first time this night that you look out of the window like that. You are probably sad about something in the past, you dream of something...something wonderful. I have felt the same thing too, many times."

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:30 pm »

Aydin dined with his companions, although he was quite anxious about it; the other customers of the inn stared at him, not often you see a Turk in France after all. He wasn't sure if it was hate or shock.

But he guessed he might as well eat...although a  part of the menu was off limits. Still, there was quite a bit to eat. As Aydin ate, he listened carefully to his companions. Seemed this atheist was some kind of witchhunter. Interesting.

Aydin stayed quiet for the meal, mostly because he saw nothing worth talking about right now and that his French was not the best. He did however ask one question towards the end of dinner: "If my asking is not taken evily, where does all of you come?"*

After dinner, Aydin did as he did everyday; pray, sleep, and wake for the usual times of prayer, then sleep again. Till dawn anyway.

*Trying to make it like horrible French.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 03:09:16 pm »

I myself was born in France but came to the service from Egypt where I was searching for the black book.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »

Eat, drink, and relax while the others chat, and check my gear before bed
Viktor frowns for a moment, ignoring the few curious glances in his direction, and shrugs. "I come from Serbia. Good land." "[I wonder, do any of you understand my tongue? It is hard to speak french all the time.]"*

*Spoken in Serbian.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:30 pm »

Regina could only offer a bitter chuckle. She turned back to Alexandre. Her blue eyes bored into him.

"You guess right, Alex. And the Dreams are the reason I am pained, no how matter how wonderful they are. Sometimes I find myself wishing I didn't have them. Even if the dreams are my only memory of the world of light and joy.

Anyway...this occult you spoke of, these strange things. Is this how you forget?

If so, we are no entirely different in our methods. Tell me-what pains you? From my own estimation, you are not wounded in heart or soul...you don't seem to have lost anyone, I mean. Or you have learned to live with yourself better than I have, at least."

---------------------------------------------------------
@Theif: Nope! No one speaks Serbian cept you. :(
Regina speaks Russian, though, and both of those languages are Slavic. So she's closest you'll get...in fact, I would think Viktor would know some Russian as well.

Eat, drink, and relax while the others chat, and check my gear before bed
Viktor frowns for a moment, ignoring the few curious glances in his direction, and shrugs. "I come from Serbia. Good land." "[I wonder, do any of you understand my tongue? It is hard to speak french all the time.]"*

Regina sipped her wine. She could only make out fragments of what he had said-tounge, understand, speak, French. She guessed he might be speaking some Slavic dialect-God knows there were enough of them.

She tried to answer back in fluent Russian. "Я могу только понять несколько диалект, Вы говорите, сэр Виктор?"

Spoiler: *translation* (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 05:22:08 pm »

Would Viktor have understood Turkish, being that Serbia was at some time part of the Ottoman Empire? I don't know if was at that point, though, I don't have time to wiki it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »

((his sheet says Fragmentary Turkish, and I and Law have rudimentary, with Micelus speaking it in full.))

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »

---------------------------------------------------------
@Theif: Nope! No one speaks Serbian cept you. :(
Regina speaks Russian, though, and both of those languages are Slavic. So she's closest you'll get...in fact, I would think Viktor would know some Russian as well.
I know. But I wouldn't, in game, so I had to ask. And that is the GM's discretion, so *shrugs*. Although having another language he only barely speaks wouldn't improve things anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------
Viktor could only sigh and shrug in response.
"Sorry. Was question. Know better."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »

To Aydin:

"Personally, my family are from Oberlin, in Alsace, near the great fortress of Strasbourg, in fact; academically, I studied at the Universities of Strasbourg and then Paris, where I was lucky enough to study under Desault. It's been a few years now though that I have served in the Emperor's armies..."

"And tell me, what is the correct mode of address for a man of the cloth in your homeland? Here, we tend to call such men 'father'."

((To Dwarmin: ah, yes.))

((To Theif: ah, no.))

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »

"I haven't really lost anybody. I am just very interested in the occult and having witnessed it, I study it further. True, I could work in some base of an order, going deeper and deeper into the world of occultism. While I have worked for orders, kings and cults, it has only been contract based. I think that I am in the monster hunting business for the money, fame and adventure.

I think that you could have a much more safer job with your talents too."

Swirling the wine around he looked deeply into Regina's eyes.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:30 pm »

"Father? Interesting word. In our tongue, we men are called imams. No real...honourific."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »

Regina met his eyes as best she could-there was caring, deep down-for her? Or maybe just misplaced pity. Maybe nothing but what every man wanted from a woman. She was not ashamed-she wanted it to, but not for the same reasons.

She wondered what was he really getting at? She hated the defensive tone that came out in her next words-knowing he didn't deserve it, was just trying to be polite-but not being able to control it. He had gotten too close to her, too fast, now it was time to burn. Her own way of defending herself.

"Safe...why would you care about my welfare, being we who just met? Do you feign this for every woman who crosses your path? I am not that easy to coax, Alex."

Regina knew. Since the death of her husband, she had only tended a few quick relationships-most of which broke down as fast as they realized how much pain she had inside her. There were easier women to dote upon, she supposed they told themselves. Regina didn't hold it against them. The ones who stuck around long enough, she ended up hurting.

No matter. The mission, she remembered. The Mission was all that mattered. She couldn't get distracted. Not by him. Not by anyone. She had a job to do, by Gods sake.

And yet, she was torn on the decision of what to do next.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9