Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fixing a magma pipe leak with external tools is cheating?  (Read 1810 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Fixing a magma pipe leak with external tools is cheating?
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

What do you think?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing a magma pipe leak with external tools is cheating?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »

Thats up to you I guess. If such a leak breaks the game, and is uncontrollable, I guess you could argue that Armok intervened to fix that issue.

I also use some custom settings and don't consider it cheat. I have no exotic pets, they are all regular domestic so they can be tamed (since dungeon master is buggy - I leaking magma pipe is a bug too, isn't it?). Don't worry :D Play like you want, it's not competitive after all, and you don't ruin the game for other people^^
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

Nothing is uncontrollable or unfixable unless its an actual bug in the game.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »

depends, did you put the leak there? :P

seriously though, since DF is a single-player game, "cheating" is an entirely arbitrary distinction -- since you can't really "cheat" anyone but yourself.  Most people just do whatever they think is the most fun for them.

Personally though, if you're talking about a magma-pipe leak at *embark* and not one you've created yourself due to um... lets say, poor engineering choices... then that's really just working around a bug and not something I would consider cheating.  For example, I use the "cleanowned" utility in the dfhack library to work around some of the food/clothing claim bugs and don't consider that to be cheating.  I won't, on the other hand, use danger rooms 'cause I think they're exploit-y.

It really just comes down to whatever you think yourself, though, and whatever you find to be the most fun (or Fun, as the case may be).

--nomad_delta

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

I won't, on the other hand, use danger rooms 'cause I think they're exploit-y.

It really just comes down to whatever you think yourself, though, and whatever you find to be the most fun (or Fun, as the case may be).

--nomad_delta

Well, I tried once to use danger rooms, and despite it being a 'cheat', I had plenty of Fun. Mostly because I didn't use training spears but wooden menacing spikes :D Not doing this again :D

And you're right, it's all up to yourself. If you consider something fun, heck, do it! If you want to mess around with certain things for the atmosphere, do it. If you want to have tame dragons at embark and breed them, because you play a dragon-tamer civilization, do it! It's all up to you. And everything has some hidden Fun element. My tame dragons were very, very Fun!
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »

It's a natural leak, it won't stop naturally because it's connected to the map edge.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »

It's a natural leak, it won't stop naturally because it's connected to the map edge.

normally in that circumstance I'd just make a new embark and try to find one that wasn't bugged, 'cause that kind of thing can wreck your FPS something fierce... but if you have the means to fix it with external tools and you otherwise like the embark location, go for it!

--nomad_delta

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »

Normally in that instance I would build a ridiculous contraption to dump water on it until it stops.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

Normally in that instance I would build a ridiculous contraption to dump water on it until it stops.

Seconded.

The other option is a tactical cave-in.

Basically, if it's a bug then I don't feel bad about fixing it. If it's not a bug then it should be solved with dwarven ingenuity.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »

Why bother fixing it? It's magma :P

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »

It's true that the game isn't competitive or shared, but I still get this twinge of disapproval about something like this. The game is open to modification, the creator obviously doesn't mind these utilities, and I still manage to feel this way.

I think the real question here, the real desire on your part, or mine, is to have a metric, a standard of play for comparison and community. If I'm playing the way other players do, then I can come here and share about it. I can be engrossed. I use all kinds of exploits, but they are limited to ones that I don't feel need justification.

If you can play your fort, share about it here, and be proud of it, then don't worry. If you feel like doing this will "void" the fort in some way, or that it would require disclosure or explanation, then I say don't do it. You'll be happier with the fort that doesn't need any excuses.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 06:33:04 am »

I generally try not to use the utilites under DF Hack to succeed at something I should be able to do on my own.  For example, the liquid creation tool is something I'll avoid because it comes off as cheating (though testing it out to see how it worked on a goblin siege was kind of fun, even if the magma started a forest fire that chewed up a nice chunk of the map and wiped out some timber I'd gathered.)  Something like the vein digging function though is quite useful and spares me from having to micromanage mining operations. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:13 am »

Of course, dealing with badgers with DFLiquids is kind of fun. Entrap them in a huge obsidian box. That keeps them from leaving the map and reappearing somewhere unpleasant. Like in the middle of a caravan. (My only military guy had just finished off a group of badger men and was busily recovering from a badly damaged arm.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:10:52 am »

Honestly an accessible surface source of infinite magma is the best thing ever and I don't know why anyone would fix it.

Harness it? Yes. Fix? Never.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:12 am »

Not a cheat.  Period.
It's a workaround to a serious game bug.

Pages: [1] 2