Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Live-streamed video tutorial - Any interest?  (Read 2327 times)

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Live-streamed video tutorial - Any interest?
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »

Good afternoon, fellow supplicants of Armok. I'm looking for a little feedback on a thought I had the other day (to determine if there is any interest). Suggestions are welcome as well.

At this point, video tutorials for Dwarf Fortress aren't a new thing. There have been a number of them (those of captain_duck come to mind), and while they're helpful, they lack the opportunity for dialog. I have a few online friends who have expressed an interest in DF for a while now, but are daunted by the idea of learning the game. This situation, in combination with a new video streaming setup I've thrown together, has led me to the idea of doing a live-streamed tutorial for Dwarf Fortress (specifically Fortress mode at this point).

The idea is to have the session running much as many video tutorials do, starting from the very basics up to the point of having the skillset to begin a self-sufficient fort (perhaps an hour or so in length). Alongside the cast, we'd have a chat client up and running (possibly IRC, see below) to allow realtime questions and comments, and clarification and answers would be provided in the cast itself. If the cast itself went well, there would also be the possibility of having a replay of it available for download.

Chances are, if you're reading this post you probably don't need such a simplistic tutorial. However, what I'd like to know is if you would have been interested in this when you were first starting, or if you know individuals who would have an interest in such a program (not asking for advertising/names, just a "yay" or "nay").

Also, I'd appreciate some feedback on the following ideas/concerns regarding this:

• A pre-gen'd world/site (full install w/ graphics being used in the cast) for viewers to follow along on.
  • Split-screen view to start with, showing both StoneSense and DF with graphics (probably Ironhand), and transitioning away from StoneSense as the viewers get a better understanding of what they are seeing.
  • IRC for chat, though Steam chat is also an option (I also welcome any suggestions for a reliable web-chat interface; I would like to cut down on executables/downloads required).
  • Probably shooting for an evening broadcast (EST), though nothing is set in stone yet.

Thanks for at least reading this far, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:45:41 pm by Barrow »

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
Re: Live-streamed video tutorial - Any interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »

What in the name of Khorne is Stonesense? I feel like I should know that.

Khorne is a better Blood God than Armok will ever be.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »

Stonesense is an isometric renderer that runs alongside DF.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.0

My hope is to use it as a Rosetta Stone to help the uninitiated understand what they are seeing on the game screen.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:00:37 pm »

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dwarf+fortress+stonesense
You have an internet.  Use it.

When Carnes was running the multiplayer server, I put a session aside to teach my friend how to play.  He didn't start playing, but he said that it was extremely helpful.  The multiplayer method was also very nice because it let other nearby players chip in when I forgot something.

I'd definitely be interested in giving tutorials.  I might even break out the mic if it meant more migrants!

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:26 am »

Well, the current intention is for a small tutorial, so I wasn't planning on "guest speakers" per say. If it is something that was popular, that could change for further iterations, but my current assumption is that the project would be superseded by the forums and recorded videos for long-term learning.

Again, this is all hypothetical at this point, and subject to adaptation to what would be appropriate for the audience (if any) gathered.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:28 am »

I could help with military bits of this, not ANY GOOD AT ALL at the whole....Self reliant shit, but I run a pretty decent military

I have a mic as well

EDIT: Only if you are accepting "Guest speakers",....HOLY SHIT. A CONVERSATION WITH GIRLINHAT....... :o
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:37:23 am by Alestom »
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:45 am »

It's a yes from me, but I doubt I'd ever be there when you stream >_<

Plus, I only speak ASCII D:

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:30 am »

It's a yes from me, but I doubt I'd ever be there when you stream >_<

Plus, I only speak ASCII D:

They could always stream and hook up to Teamspeak at the same time
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:59 am »

At one time, Dwarf Fortress looked too simple for my friends, and they thought it wasn't any good. Then I started playing, and after a month I got good at it and convinced them to try and play. They tried but couldn't get it. After a few months on the forums I gathered a few links to awesome threads and quotes and started to explain the depth of DF, for example you can, with modding, rip the penis off and elf and get it lodge in his eye. You can lock a child in a room full of rabid dogs to teach it combat skills! Now my friends think this game is awesome, but they still don't know how to play it.

My life story Long story short, I'd be very interested in sending then a streaming guide.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37:13 am »

They could always stream and hook up to Teamspeak at the same time

Again, I'm mostly looking for interest of viewers at this point as opposed to fellow casters (that could become a thing later-on, right now my concern is whether it would be worthwhile to make such an endeavor open to the public).

That said, if co-casting became a thing, I would probably be running it through my Mumble server.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »

Well, this forum is mostly populated by DF players, so you're not going to see many who don't know how to play.  Ergo, you're asking in the wrong place.  I've not been there, but doesn't Something Awful have a solid potential interest in DF?  May have luck on other video game places, like Rock Paper Shotgun, VGCats, or Penny Arcade, or may even find interest on 4chan's /v/ or /tg/.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:04 pm »

Because what could go wrong? :P

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

Well, this forum is mostly populated by DF players, so you're not going to see many who don't know how to play.  Ergo, you're asking in the wrong place.  I've not been there, but doesn't Something Awful have a solid potential interest in DF?  May have luck on other video game places, like Rock Paper Shotgun, VGCats, or Penny Arcade, or may even find interest on 4chan's /v/ or /tg/.

Yeah, if/when I start advertising I'll be doing so on other forums (RPS was my first thought).

The main reason I brought it up here is that I've had "learn to play" tutorials fall flat in the past due to a lack of interest/attendance (e.g. Planetside), so I figured I'd suggest the concept here first to get some feedback on whether it was a good idea or not before going to the trouble to trying to round up interested parties.

Because what could go wrong? :P

Good point. :p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »

Coincidentally, anyone know of a good screencapture program?  I'm now debating narrating some videos of myself playing to show things like pump stacks, military schedules, water pressure, and whatnot in action.  The "intermediate-advanced tutorials".

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:47 pm »

Coincidentally, anyone know of a good screencapture program?  I'm now debating narrating some videos of myself playing to show things like pump stacks, military schedules, water pressure, and whatnot in action.  The "intermediate-advanced tutorials".

Fraps is good. And free.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns
Pages: [1] 2