Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced World Creation  (Read 585 times)

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced World Creation
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »

I'm looking to try my hand at making a more customized world.  I'd like to have a large world with a long history (1050 at least and more toward 2000 or 3000) but the problem I've always run into is that the world typical goes into the Twilight Age by this point.  I'd prefer to have the world start out with the Age of Three Powers.  What parameters can I use, if any, that might make these conditions?

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced World Creation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »

The Age of Three Powers is very hard to obtain after a long period of time. Esspecially, to get the Age of Three Powers, you must make sure you don't have many megabeasts. If you just have a few, you make sure they earn plenty of kills and therefore become noticeable, making it 'The age of...'. On the other hand, they tend to die out after a few hundred years! Your best bet is to have very few mega beasts and stop the map creations once you reached an Age of Three Powers. This will likely be in the first few hundred years.

Having lots of beasts means they will all get some kills, but none might get enough to become noticeable and start an 'The age of...'. Also, I found it easier to get this on smaller maps. The huge distances between civilizations on large maps might make it difficult to get enough kills for the megabeasts (probably they need a % of kills, instead of a predefined number).

So, I suggest, try out having just a couple of beasts (5 mega, 5 semi, 5 colossus) and many populations with many sites. But again, I'm not sure you'll get it on a large map. And if it's really measured in % kills, you might even want to lower the amount of civilizations while keeping the sites limit up (so they don't go extinct), but as I said, it's hard on large maps. Your best bet is probably a small/smaller map.

Tell me if you found something that works! :)
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »

Indeed!  This would be excellent !!science!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Setting the civ start to 3, or 100 should help :P

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:40:59 am »

The Age of Three Powers is very hard to obtain after a long period of time. Esspecially, to get the Age of Three Powers, you must make sure you don't have many megabeasts. If you just have a few, you make sure they earn plenty of kills and therefore become noticeable, making it 'The age of...'. On the other hand, they tend to die out after a few hundred years! Your best bet is to have very few mega beasts and stop the map creations once you reached an Age of Three Powers. This will likely be in the first few hundred years.

Having lots of beasts means they will all get some kills, but none might get enough to become noticeable and start an 'The age of...'. Also, I found it easier to get this on smaller maps. The huge distances between civilizations on large maps might make it difficult to get enough kills for the megabeasts (probably they need a % of kills, instead of a predefined number).

So, I suggest, try out having just a couple of beasts (5 mega, 5 semi, 5 colossus) and many populations with many sites. But again, I'm not sure you'll get it on a large map. And if it's really measured in % kills, you might even want to lower the amount of civilizations while keeping the sites limit up (so they don't go extinct), but as I said, it's hard on large maps. Your best bet is probably a small/smaller map.

I'm not too concerned with having the world stay in the Age of Three Powers.  In fact, I'd much prefer having that for a time and then ending up with an age with just one megabeast in the world.  It's just that inevitably, once that beast is dead, I end up in the Twilight Age, which I'd really prefer to avoid.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:09 am »

I'm not too concerned with having the world stay in the Age of Three Powers.  In fact, I'd much prefer having that for a time and then ending up with an age with just one megabeast in the world.  It's just that inevitably, once that beast is dead, I end up in the Twilight Age, which I'd really prefer to avoid.

Oh well, in that case you might want to crank up the number of megabeasts. You might not get the 'The age of...' periods, but you'll certainly not arrive in the age of twilight. And if you did, take a look at those remarkable civilizations that slaughtered a sh**load of beasts! They deserve it :D
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:56 am »

I've never tried that specific goal, but noticed results in Ages by having large numbers of civs.
That carries its own problems, though.  More likely for a specific entity to become dominant, and others die off entirely, depending on map geography.

Using a mod which has entities for freezing glacier, swamp, and desert biomes will help (since those are sparsely populated right now, but just as likely to get a megabeast).

Modifying all entities to be more tolerant of wildness also helps, but is difficult to fine-tune.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

One thing that might help would be to set "percentage of beasts dead" to 99% and then set world gen to run for some immense amount of years. That would insure that your world would continue to generate until 99% of your megabeasts were dead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

How do you look at what age the world is in?