Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Help! Some Amsterdam dude is hacking me! (previously virus scanner thread)  (Read 5008 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

I'm back after a long period of computer issues. I need a good antivirus. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:59:45 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Need a good virus scanner/antivirus program
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:13:59 am »

Microsoft Security Essentials, believe it or not.

Avast's pretty good too, but it's more talkative.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:15 am »

I can say that MSE is really good.

If you're willing to pay, Eset NOD32 is BRILLIANT.

If you're not, then there's always Comodo. As I've said in other antivirus threads, it's never failed to catch a virus i've thrown at it on my Virtual XP.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:35:52 am »

Is Malwarebytes OK? It's what I'm using right now
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:05:34 am »

Malwarebytes is pretty good, yes. It's an antispyware, so you still need an antivirus to go with it.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:02 am »

Malwarebytes Anti Malware? It's an antivirus as well, but it's not active protection; it's a scanner that you have to tell to scan, not one that detects threats as they appear.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:35 am »

If you are willing to spend a bit...

Norton Internet Security 2012 is first.
NOD32 would be second...

Or if you just want to emergency-clean your computer the free way,
1. get a free 30-day Norton Internet Security, install, update, quick scan once, full scan twice.
2. get the free Malawarebytes MBAM, full scan
3. full scan with NIS again
4. remove MBAM since it's not active unless you scan, and let's face it, outside of an emergency who's bothering to manual scan, and keep NIS for 30 days, after which AVAST is actually quite good. Or rather replace AVAST with MSE, that is if you ummm... how should I put it... if your windows install is healthy. <.<     >.>   
Don't use MSE if your windows is missing one eye.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:49 am »

Norton Internet Security 2012 is first.
I refuse to use anything beginning with Norton. The infernal piece of crap that is Norton has caused me so many computer issues before.

Also, Malwarebytes keeps on saying something like "Blocked a potentially malicious [something] (random numbers) from Internet Explorer. I've only got Bay12 up. Could this be something sinister or is it just Malwarebytes dicking up?

[EDIT] Here's the log from the IP blocking

2012/01/04 22:43:34 +1030   ACOMP   A.Dude   IP-BLOCK   91.211.117.70 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54053, Process: iexplore.exe)
2012/01/04 22:51:39 +1030   ACOMP   A.Dude   IP-BLOCK   91.197.128.225 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54328, Process: iexplore.exe)
2012/01/04 22:51:39 +1030   ACOMP   A.Dude   IP-BLOCK   91.197.128.225 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54329, Process: iexplore.exe)
2012/01/04 22:51:39 +1030   ACOMP   A.Dude   IP-BLOCK   91.197.128.225 (Type: outgoing, Port: 54330, Process: iexplore.exe)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:35:46 am by Angel Of Death »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:56:50 am »

All I found with the 91.whatever IP range is that it originates from Amsterdam, where Bay12 definitely exists only in America.

Sounds bad.

Norton is indeed a bloated turd of crap compared with even the free ones nowadays. I only used it because I had a free two year subscription, but even with my immense carefulness Norton still managed to miss a virus.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Help! Some Amsterdam dude is hacking me! (previously virus scanner thread)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:59:23 am »

Fuck... What should I do?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Some Amsterdam dude is hacking me! (previously virus scanner thread)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:14:24 am »

Not freak out for one thing. :P

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Run a scan with Comodo's antivirus.

install and configure Comodo or Zonealarm's firewall.
Switch Windows Firewall off.
Stop using IE. Switch to a half decent browser like Chrome, Opera or Firefox.

From the sounds of it, Angel, what's happening is your computer has some sort of hijacker, or something malicious. If Malwarebytes has warned you of it, it's already removed the threat (I think.)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:33 am »

Not freak out for one thing. :P

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Run a scan with Comodo's antivirus.

install and configure Comodo or Zonealarm's firewall.
Switch Windows Firewall off.
Stop using IE. Switch to a half decent browser like Chrome, Opera or Firefox.

From the sounds of it, Angel, what's happening is your computer has some sort of hijacker, or something malicious. If Malwarebytes has warned you of it, it's already removed the threat (I think.)

I've run every scan possible on Malwarebytes and I'm downloading Comodo as I write.

Just to be sure, this is the Comodo website, right?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:49 am »

It is indeed. Comodo's strength is that it's easy to set up and use, but has a lot of powerful things under the hood.

I would also advise you, once you've gotten Firefox or Chrome, to get the 'noscript' and 'AdBlock Plus' extensions. Noscript prevents some javascript executing, and AdBlock Plus blocks ads, which can often carry nasties.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:53 am »

By the way, I'm running the trial of Malwarebytes that actively protects your system. Will I have to disable it to prevent conflicts with Comodo?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:42:03 am »

Possibly. I've never run the two together.

Most antivirus installers will warn you if there's a conflict and ask you to disable the offender, so you shouldn't worry about that. Probably on the safe side to do so.

Oh, and don't install Comodo GeekBuddy. It's more or less useless- it's just a remote assistance tool where they can't really do anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5