Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Are carving knives bugged?  (Read 12230 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are carving knives bugged?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:55 am »

A few things I noticed when reading this thread:

We don't even make our armor thick. we use only one bar of metal for a breastplate, rather than the three needed for anything thicker than tin foil.  We also only use a five piece suite. Does helm, Breastplate, Mail shirt, gloves, greaves, and boots sound like full steal plate to you? that's practically naked. Not even a groin guard there.

1. The not-using-three-bars is a bug... the armor is assumed to behave as forged with three bars.

2. That's practically naked to a real human, but in dwarf fortress, that set right there is nearly full plate except for upper arms. Dwarves don't have groins.

-

People think these are leather whips we're talking about, yet they are made solely of metal. More like a chain w. pointed weight at the end.

They are pretty deadly no matter what you're wearing, but I do think they are a bit complex of a weapon to be modeled with DF's combat engine. (i.e. they shouldn't be as effective in narrow hallways/dogpiles for obvious reasons.)

They have whips? We have crossbows. and steel. and trances. and traps. and magma.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:08:02 am by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:45 am »

They have whips? We have crossbows. and steel. and trances. and traps. and magma.

and steel crossbows. and magma traps. and steel traps. and crossbow traps. and magma crossbows. and magma trances. and trance traps. and steel trances. and crossbow trances. and steel crossbow trance traps. and magma trance crossbow steels. and magma steel. and steel. and crossbows.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:37 am »

I actually replaced whips with halberds for a reason. I've never heard any army of lashers IRL. Mostly because it's impossible to have a people with whips in a big formation, they would hurt each other. Also, iron whips? It's easier and more effective to make an iron sword IRL, and it is easier to wield.

Keeping them as exotic weapons for an adventurer is a fine idea.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 06:05:58 pm »

I actually replaced whips with halberds for a reason. I've never heard any army of lashers IRL. Mostly because it's impossible to have a people with whips in a big formation, they would hurt each other. Also, iron whips? It's easier and more effective to make an iron sword IRL, and it is easier to wield.

Keeping them as exotic weapons for an adventurer is a fine idea.

you might wanna disable most races from using them, i can see the dune-dwellers having em, maybe the orcs. but anything else would make them too common to be considered 'exotic'

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 10:07:52 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:24:58 am by Ogdibus »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:09 pm »

Heh.

I was messing around with Adventure Mode earlier, after finally figuring out how to fight properly.  I had a party of ten humans following my axedwarf around, mostly warriors, but also one drunk woman who joined me for basically shits and giggles.

So I run into a goblin war party out in the wilderness, and while my axedwarf got through it unscathed, most of my party got killed.  Out of 3 swordsmen, 2 bowmen, a crossbowman, a spearman, a pikeman, a lasher and a drunk, only the lasher and the drunk survived, and the lasher had some heavy injuries.  So nearly all the skilled warriors got killed while the drunk went to town on a bunch of goblins with nothing more than a bronze boning knife.  She took some injuries, but was all healed up by the time I returned to civilization.

Sometimes, this game is so crazy it's awesome.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

Whips in DF don't really behave like whips in real life.  They deal blunt damage with a tiny contact area and an insanely high velocity, which means they behave more like tiny supersonic hammers (I.E., bullets). 

Scourges deal edged damage with a tiny contact area and low penetration depth, which makes them good for cutting through armor and lopping off small extremities, but worse at decapitation or bisecting enemies. 

And yeah, carving knives and other cooking tools (besides cleavers) have tiny, tiny contact areas on their stab attacks, which make them great at poking through armor to get to the juicy insides.  Headshots kill instantly if successful at reaching the brain, so they can be quite deadly, even against armored opponents. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27:45 pm »

But not as physics breaking light sabres.
Your typical DF whip:

P.S. Now I want to make a dual-whip wielding character :P.
This. Thisx1000
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »

You're saying one bar of metal is tinfoil? I know it's a joke, but consider this: Dorfs make bars of metal big enough to be the size of a bronze colossus's height in a cube. That's hardly tinfoil.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »

Let's just settle for 'Dwarves have some magical ability to violate thermodynamics and other various forces of nature'.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

Let's just settle for 'Dwarves have some magical ability to violate thermodynamics and other various forces of nature'.

Magic? This is !!SCIENCE!!!

THE DORFS ARE BREAKING SCIENCE WITH SCIENCE

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »

Remind me of the time I recruited a peasant expecting him to die right away. Turns out he was much more efficient than my sword-wielding character. I got annoyed and attacked him one on one. Got stabbed in the head right away, turning my brain into soup.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »

That's the thing that separates DF from any other game, if a knife pierces your brain it doesn't matter who was holding it or what it was made of you are no longer alive. If I'm not mistaken the problem with whips is that the game doesn't consider that the small contact area means you aren't being hit with the entire weight of the weapon.

Actually the problem with whips is that they are classified as blunt weapons for some reason, with the smallest possible contact area, and a 5x damage velocity multiplier (a warhammer is 2x, for comparison)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 08:09:22 am »

We should be thankful goblins don't attack us with civilian tools. Knife stabs have so fine a contact area that I expect them to defeat pretty much any armour (daggers are scary enough at this) and their slashes are still enough to dispatch unarmoured civilians quickly.

The problem with whips is easy to identify: A flexible weapon can accelerate the tip to ludicrous speeds (modeled) but the impact will have the weight of the tip behind it instead of the weight of the full weapon (not modeled).

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2012, 11:54:37 am »

Dwarves don't have groins.

Now for some reason, I'm expecting an artifact codpiece to turn up somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5